PDA

View Full Version : Palm Oil Intolerance?

vtmom
03-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Any body here have, or know someone who has a Palm Oil Intolerance? I have had a few nights over the past 6 months where I have become severely ill and vomitted until my body is empty (sorry, tmi). No one else in my house gets sick and we all eat the same foods. The only common thread that I can find is that each time I ate peanut butter that contained Palm Oil (others in my house ate the same PB so I don't think it is spoiled). We usually eat peanut butter with just peanuts and that seems to be OK with my body, but occasionally we run out and I can't get to the store that has the plain PB we like so I buy a very small jar of the skippy natural to tide us over. The skippy natural PB contains Palm Oil and I am wondering if this is what my body doesn't like?

Anyone heard of this before?

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2015, 12:42 PM
If it was only the peanut butter that you've reacted too, I'd be worried about something like listeria or other things that have gotten pb recalled.

rin
03-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Have you looked at the labels for everything else you eat to confirm that's the only source of palm oil in your diet? It's also super, super common in a wide range of processed foods/household products.

vtmom
03-08-2015, 04:15 PM
No one else in our house had a reaction so I'm thinking it's not likely to be listeria/spoiled PB. Also we don't buy much processed food. I've been checking labels and haven't seen palm oil in anything else.

NCGrandma
03-08-2015, 06:23 PM
My allergic-to-many-foods DGD was extremely allergic to palm oil. Fortunately this seems to be one of the allergies she has outgrown, but before that, she had several severe reactions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reader
03-08-2015, 07:31 PM
I don't see why you couldn't have an intolerance to palm oil. My youngest DS has a vomit everything reaction to sunflower oil.

JCat
03-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Oh yes. I cannot eat it. And it's used as a filler in a LOT of things. Digestive trouble, red face are my usual problems.

vtmom
03-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've never heard of oil intolerance in anyone I know personally. It's nice to know I'm not crazy ;) !

After going through our pantry, it seems the only item we have that contains palm oil is this particular PB that we use only occasionally.

JCat, have you had any tests done to confirm this or did you figure it out on your own? Have you always had this? I've just noticed it over the past 6 months...