PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle moss?

JustMe
03-08-2015, 07:55 PM
We have moss in our backyard on our concrete "patios", on the ground in certain areas, and on the roof of a small work cottage. From what I understand I can use moss out or pressure/power wash. I don't own a pressure washer (forgetting what they are called right now). Is it worth the investment? What do you do and how effective is it? I saw moss out at Costco, but also saw some kind of liquid as well.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Is it growing between cracks or on surfaces? I ask because I desperately want the moss we have to take over between the paving stones on our patio bc it'd look a heck of a lot better than the weeds that fill in otherwise! I can see getting it off some stuff but I haven't researched that. I just want moss. :)

dhano923
03-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Is it growing between cracks or on surfaces? I ask because I desperately want the moss we have to take over between the paving stones on our patio bc it'd look a heck of a lot better than the weeds that fill in otherwise! I can see getting it off some stuff but I haven't researched that. I just want moss. :)

Get moss, put it in a blender with water, and purée it. Then use a paintbrush to paint that purée anywhere you want moss to grow. :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Get moss, put it in a blender with water, and purée it. Then use a paintbrush to paint that purée anywhere you want moss to grow. :)

Sweet! Thanks!

mackmama
03-08-2015, 10:11 PM
We power wash it off.

JustMe
03-08-2015, 11:28 PM
We power wash it off.

Good to know. Does it come off pretty easily? Any advice on what to keep in mind when purchasing a power washer?

mackmama
03-08-2015, 11:53 PM
It does come off easily with the power washer. We went with a pretty basic power washer with light power from home depot - not a professional model since we've heard the higher PSIs can strip paint pretty easily if you don't know what you're doing (which we don't). We have used it to remove moss, clean our pergola, and remove dirt off of our pavers. We also used it to strip off old paint on an old pair of iron chairs.

JustMe
03-08-2015, 11:56 PM
It does come off easily with the power washer. We went with a pretty basic power washer with light power from home depot - not a professional model since we've heard the higher PSIs can strip paint pretty easily if you don't know what you're doing (which we don't). We have used it to remove moss, clean our pergola, and remove dirt off of our pavers. We also used it to strip off old paint on an old pair of iron chairs.

Thanks. Do you know what the PSI on yours is?

mackmama
03-08-2015, 11:57 PM
I don't, but I think it's under 1500 PSI. I can check tomorrow if you'd like.

JustMe
03-08-2015, 11:59 PM
I don't, but I think it's under 1500 PSI. I can check tomorrow if you'd like.

If you are able to, that would be great...if not, I understand. Thanks!

mackmama
03-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Cool I will try to dig it out tomorrow.

OKKiddo
03-09-2015, 02:58 PM

I asked the worker at Colonial Williamsburg (who was currently laying the bricks) how they did the whole process and I mentioned I loved the moss growing between and he said to blend up moss and either cheap beer or heavy cream and pour it in the cracks. He said that's how they did it in the new areas that they built to re-create and match the rest of the area.

kristenk
03-09-2015, 03:34 PM
I'd be concerned about moss on the roof, just because that would make me think that water was getting trapped on the roof and that doesn't seem to be a good thing.

The moss on the patio wouldn't concern me at all unless there had never been moss and it was suddenly there. I'd wonder why it started growing. If there was some sort of drainage issue that developed, I'd see about fixing that. If the moss was due to wetter than normal conditions, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bottom line for me is the moss isn't a problem, but it could signal that there's a problem.

Mopey
03-09-2015, 04:41 PM

Apparently if you add yogurt it acts as food for the moss to grow even more.

And I am pretty sure I've heard you can rent power washers!!

NCGrandma
03-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Apparently if you add yogurt it acts as food for the moss to grow even more.
!!

This definitely falls under the heading of "now, how did someone first figure that out?" !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JustMe
03-10-2015, 12:53 AM
I'd be concerned about moss on the roof, just because that would make me think that water was getting trapped on the roof and that doesn't seem to be a good thing.

The moss on the patio wouldn't concern me at all unless there had never been moss and it was suddenly there. I'd wonder why it started growing. If there was some sort of drainage issue that developed, I'd see about fixing that. If the moss was due to wetter than normal conditions, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bottom line for me is the moss isn't a problem, but it could signal that there's a problem.
I'm
Thanks. We just bought the house this summer, so I do not know the history. However, there is a lot of moss in my neighborhood, and I think it is related to some thing about how the trees are. I think it is to be expected for this area, so I just need to figure out the best way to get rid of it... The most complicated factor being that my small cottage has a very steep/slanted roof and there is no way I am getting up there.

mackmama
03-10-2015, 12:59 AM
I believe DH will be pulling out the pressure washer tomorrow. If he does, I'll try to remember to check the PSI and post back here!