PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to Keep Young Toddler Still During 1 Hour EEG

Philly Mom
03-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Any ideas on how to keep DD2 still during an EEG. She is 16 months. I am also concerned she will pull the leads out of her head. I think this may be the worst possible age for this. TV does not interest her. I can bring lots of books. Other ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trcy
03-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Yikes 16 months is a tough age to stay still for any length of time. Maybe an ipad? Good luck!

daisysmom
03-09-2015, 09:04 PM
I pad. Or do itat nap time. Our neurologist said that it's better if they fall asleep duringbthebtest (in fact we needed to be sleep deprived) bc brain waves show seizure activity then. We had a few leads fall out last year-- they still see a lot even then. And they just stick them back on.

Liziz
03-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Oh, yikes, you're right that's a tough age for staying still! These days my DD could be kept still(ish) with TV/ipad, but she wasn't interested in that at 16 months either. Not exactly an idea about keeping her still, but in regards to keeping the leads on -- I've always found that my DD does WAY better with medical anything when we do a ton of discussion and role playing (and I play it up like it's exciting and fun) in advance. "Guess what, DD? You're going to get this COOL hat to wear -- it's like lots of little dots! They're going to stick them on your head it you'll be SO SPECIAL! When they put them on, we're going to be VERY STILL together!" I know it sounds totally ridiculous, and some people have suggested I shouldn't do that sort of thing b/c DD will stress unnecessarily in advance....but it's worked really well for us and I have a kiddo who usually is excited by the time we're walking into a doctor/dentist office. I've also found it helps her be prepared for the behavior I want (mouth open at the dentist, etc.), so maybe it will work for your DC. I started doing it really early -- definitely was doing it in earnest by 16 months.

Oh! Just thought of something -- does your DD like pictures (of herself or family members)? Even before she liked watching TV, she was captivated for long periods of time by photos (as in, I'd hold my phone and flip through pictures).

candaceb
03-09-2015, 10:30 PM
DS had one when he was 2.5. He was sleep deprived - I think we kept him up until about 11:30 and then he got 6 hours of sleep. He did not fall asleep during the test. This was 2 years ago, but the tech would not let me use my phone to entertain him. We did a lot of talking and I promised him a pink heart donut from Dunkin' Donuts (he had seen it on an ad) if he would stay still when he got really antsy towards the end.

Simon
03-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Lolipops.
Stickers and paper.
Glow sticks or light up things.
Self-inking stamps for marking paper.
Baby Einstein on YouTube got us through a few medical procedures at that age.

Philly Mom
03-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Great ideas. I will be bummed if I can't show pictures. I think that would work for a bit. Unfortunately we don't get to pick the time but even if we did, I don't think she would sleep. She had a bunch when she was a baby and even while nursing her they barely got sleep time.

I will get some stickers, paper and markers. I will also bring her favorite books. Lollipops are another good idea. She loves them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robinsmommy
03-09-2015, 11:35 PM
A sticker book? With princesses or something else she finds really appealing? She may be a little young, but my girls loved those for plane rides. it gives a place to put the stickers, and they usually have a bit of story and/or games in them to add to the appeal.

lizzywednesday
03-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Good luck!

We had epic meltdowns at that age for echo's, so bad she had to be sedated to get a good one.

Daniel Tiger on the tablet usually saved us some grief. (Also, will you be doing the procedure at CHOP? Call ahead and ask if Child Life can spare one of their iPads. The novelty might help.)

Philly Mom
03-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Good luck!

We had epic meltdowns at that age for echo's, so bad she had to be sedated to get a good one.

Daniel Tiger on the tablet usually saved us some grief. (Also, will you be doing the procedure at CHOP? Call ahead and ask if Child Life can spare one of their iPads. The novelty might help.)

We are doing it at CHOP. We were there today for an endocrinology appointment. I had the hardest time keeping her entertained and still just to talk to the doctor and she ended up having a couple tantrums. She passed out once we got back in the car. This is going to be a disaster.

MoeJoe
03-10-2015, 02:50 PM
My daughter was a little younger at the time of her test and didn't nap either- I sang to her almost the whole time!!!

Philly Mom
03-10-2015, 06:30 PM
My daughter was a little younger at the time of her test and didn't nap either- I sang to her almost the whole time!!!

I had thought about playing music but she would want to dance. I played music when she was a baby during the EEG. Mumford and Sons. Great idea to sing. Camp songs it is. She relaxes when I sing.

Philly Mom
03-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone! We are done. Phew. CHOP was amazing. So much better than my local hospital. She was miserable the first half. They put her in a weighted swaddle so she couldn't sit up. Once I got her to calm down, she was only interested in books. I brought a backpack full. The results came back normal so hopefully that will be the last one we ever have to do. Phew.

megs4413
03-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Glad it turned out well!!!

DualvansMommy
03-18-2015, 01:09 PM
So happy to hear it went well! I'm sure you're relieved that part is OVER too!

boolady
03-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Good news! I'm glad that's over for all of you.

elephantmeg
03-18-2015, 01:51 PM
yeah!! so glad it is over and that it is negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lizzywednesday
03-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Oh, that's fantastic news! CHOP is the best place I never want to send anyone. :wink2:

Simon
03-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Yay for normal results and it being over!

Mopey
03-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Such a great update! Hooray!

Liziz
03-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Great news!