PDA

View Full Version : Need diaper rash help asap

KrystalS
03-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Posting here for traffic. My nephew has a really awful diaper rash, I think he might be having a reaction to milk. He just started drinking a lot of milk, he just didn't take to it at first. Anyway he's had really runny poops all day and now has an awful rash. I've tried, triple paste, aveeno rash cream, aquaphor, and we use the grovia Magic stick after all changes because he has sensitive skin anyway. Is there anything else I can try that I might have at home? He's miserable. The triple paste always worked wonders on my DS but it does nothing for DN.

hillview
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
naked -- try to go naked

JBaxter
03-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Dial soap ( antibacterial) dry well naked time and cornstarch. Is she sure it isnt yeast? You can try some monistat if its yeast 24 hrs should show improvement My boys did either A&D or triplepaste.

KrystalS
03-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Ok he's naked now, not sure how long it will last he doesn't like it! He's just super red right now, he has really sensitive skin anyway and his diaper was dirty for about 10 minutes before I noticed. I don't think it's yeast. How do I know if he's allergic to milk? He was on a normal formula til about 13 months. Weened him off and he really hated milk at first but he's been drinking about 8oz a day for the last 3 days.

zukeypur
03-10-2015, 09:31 PM
have you introduced anything else recently? That sounds like what happened to DD when we introduced tomato. It was astonishing how quickly she reacted. One time we were in a restaurant and my mom gave her a bite of chicken that was on the same plate as tomato, but my mom didn't realize the tomato juice was on the tomato. We had a disgusting mess before we left the restaurant, and DD's bum was horribly red and tender for a day or two.

KrystalS
03-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Not that I can think of. He has always hated baby food so he's on table food exclusively. He had bad diarrhea and rash about 2 weeks ago but I thought it was teething related. He's been fine since then and he's had milk, just not as much as the last few days. Maybe it's teething again. It's crazy how fast he gets a rash. And none of the creams seem to work when it gets bad like this.

lmh2402
03-10-2015, 09:41 PM
DD gave me a run for my money in the diaper rash department

we tried everything under the sun. long story short, what finally made it better was switching away from the white paste style stuff - I used triple paste for my son very successfully. but it was a bad match for DD.

our pedi suggested trying thick thick A&D. and jump starting improvement with a bit of steroid - again, not cream based, but an ointment.

good luck!

urbanmommy
03-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Like previous posters said - naked is good. Also, don't use baby wipes as those can make rash worse. Wash him with mild soap like dove and warm water for diaper changes. You can also try soaking in a shallow tub with a couple tablespoons of baking soda to help the rash.

twowhat?
03-10-2015, 10:15 PM
WASH his butt with warm water in the sink after every poop. Air dry or PAT dry. If just pee, just change the diaper - DO NOT WIPE.

Wiping is bad for rashes, ANY kind of wiping!!!

that's our ped's advice and it has always cleared up a bad rash in a couple of days. Just NOT WIPING makes a world of difference. It's a pain to fill the sink with warm water after every poop and then sitting the baby in it...but it's worth it.

eta: if you want to apply a protectant, that is fine but only AFTER washing. It can actually be worse to apply a diaper rash cream on a butt that isn't thoroughly clean because then you end up trapping the irritant right against the skin!

I used a foam pump with baby soap and dabbed that on a poopy butt before rinsing in the sink just to be sure I really got all the poop off.

georgiegirl
03-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Could it be yeast? When Ds2 has major diaper rash issues it turned out to be yeast. If that's the case, you will need to use a lotrimin cream. Use wet paper towels instead of wipes. Blow dry his bum. Then apply the lotrimin.

ETA: totally agree with PP about washing his bum in the sink and not wiping it. I did that for a while. Then used the blow dryer on low to dry him.

klwa
03-11-2015, 06:57 AM
My niece had similar issues when she had too much fruit/fruit juice in her diet. Especially acidic ones. Has he also been drinking orange juice or anything like that?

You may want to try the "Miracle Cream" recipe: http://www.savingaddiction.com/diy-magic-butt-cream/

wendibird22
03-11-2015, 08:50 AM
When my DD1 had bad rashes like that we ended up with a prescription cream that had a burn ointment in it and it's the only thing that worked. The acidity of the loose stool was causing a burning type rash. And to calm the skin we did soaks in the tub with mild tempt water and baking soda.

KrystalS
03-11-2015, 09:22 AM
He does seem like it's burning when he poops so maybe its the fruit. He has 1 sippy of apple juice a day. We did just buy some cuties and he had one of those yesterday, totally forgot and I think its the first time he's had one. He has the little fruit cups of oranges but I'm sure thats totally different to his system than fresh orange. I didn't know about the wiping, my kids never got rashes like this and the triple paste always worked for us. It seems like any kind of white cream is not working, but aquaphor isn't either. I may have to call the dr today.

legaleagle
03-11-2015, 10:05 AM
You may need some antibacterial ointment too. My kids were prone to yeast rashes, and when they were bad, I would mix a little lotrimin & bacitracin together, apply and rub in as thoroughly as possible, then cover with a non-very-concentrated zinc cream. Sadly, my favorite cream that worked better than anything I ever tried is discontinued :(

kdeunc
03-11-2015, 10:24 AM
DS 1 got horrible rashes. With him at times we used straight maalox dabbed on. It really helped him.

zukeypur
03-11-2015, 10:48 AM

He does seem like it's burning when he poops so maybe its the fruit. He has 1 sippy of apple juice a day. We did just buy some cuties and he had one of those yesterday, totally forgot and I think its the first time he's had one. He has the little fruit cups of oranges but I'm sure thats totally different to his system than fresh orange. I didn't know about the wiping, my kids never got rashes like this and the triple paste always worked for us. It seems like any kind of white cream is not working, but aquaphor isn't either. I may have to call the dr today.

Whether or not the apple juice is contributing, i would most definitely cut it out. It provides little to no nutritional value. I did have a friend whose daughter was allergic to citrus fruits. I can't remember what her symptoms were.