PDA

View Full Version : ID Bands for Kids Traveling in Costa Rica??

StantonHyde
03-10-2015, 09:56 PM
I am thinking about getting some slim Road ID bands for my kids when we go to Costa Rica on spring break. On the one hand, if they got lost, then there would at least be some contact phone numbers. (kids are 9 and 12) BUT--I don't think our cell phones will work in Costa Rica (smart phones used only in the US) so I would have to put a US friend's number on the band. AND--its not like they are going to be alone. We are together the whole time. So I wonder if I even need them???? (or should I just pack a thin Sharpie and I can write on their arm or something if I need to???)

ETA: DD could remember my cell phone. DS can't remember squat--especially in an emergency.

carolinamama
03-10-2015, 10:30 PM
We used arm band ids for our boys this past summer when we traveled to South America. We put a US number (my dad) and the info for our hotel. We also added my and DH's names just in case. Even though we were together the whole time, it made me feel better to have it as we were in some crowded places - World Cup games and public squares. Our boys were 5 and 8 at the time so a bit younger than your kids.

Have fun! We are contemplating a trip to Costa Rica in the next few years and would love to hear about your trip afterwards.

kbud
03-10-2015, 11:49 PM
We went to CR with our kids 2 summers ago. I usually prepare for everything and always did the bands for theme parks but never thought about it for the trip. We rented a car and drove around some but we were never in a situation where they could be separated from us. We contacted our cell carrier and got the phones set up for CR. We never used them there but if we needed to it appears we could. Although in some of the areas I am certain no cell phone would work. Have fun! We love CR. Oh my girls were 9 and 5 at the time of the trip.

jerseygirl
03-11-2015, 12:03 AM
We went last summer for a wedding/family reunion with dc's 11, 8, 6 and we were never in a situation where they were separated unless with another adult. You can buy a sim card there and just get a local number. Really helped to have it especially for GPS and staying in touch with other extended family members.

StantonHyde
03-11-2015, 09:04 PM
yeah, I'm thinking we don't really need them. And we are traveling by ourselves. On all of our outings we will all be together. I will let DH know about the sim cards--we have done that in other countries. But its not like anybody needs to call us (or we don't want them to!)