PDA

View Full Version : s/o: are your kids the only kids at the pool, beach, etc. who wear rash guards?

AnnieW625
03-11-2015, 01:02 PM
We near a coastal community 20 minutes south of downtown Los Angeles and we also visit the mountain resorts and rash guards are rare on kids older than 5+. DD1 hasn't worn a rash guard since she was 3, and I think DD2 has worn one twice. DH and I have one for waterskiing or boating, but other than that we never see adults wearing them, and I only wear mine to knock the chill out when I don't want to wear a sweatshirt.

JBaxter
03-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Sometimes. Never here at home because they are in and out of the pool all the time. If we go to the beach they start out with them on but usually pull them off. I dont own one and neither does my DH or older 2 boys. I can count on one hand the times the older 2 have had sun burns and the younger 2 have never had burns.

BananaMama
03-11-2015, 01:18 PM
No i see alot of kids with them at the beach. We have our own pool so can't comment on that. DH and I both own them and wear them on occasion in the later summer when it's cooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khalloc
03-11-2015, 01:27 PM
We have rashguards but dont always use them. I will make them wear them if we are at the beach for a long time (all day). My kids have very fair skin. I dont do it for modesty. DS, who is about to turn 7, at one point wouldnt swim without one, then he went thru a period where he liked to walk around shirtless. LOL. I do make sure we at least have them with us at the beach in case they look like they are getting burnt. My DD doesnt really mind wearing one for at least part of the day. I see lots of kids with them when I am someplace swimming.

megs4413
03-11-2015, 01:30 PM
My kids burn if they sit by a window too long... (J/k)
We are almost always the onky kids over 2 with rash guards on. It bothers DD1, but DS doesn't mind at all.

hellokitty
03-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Hmmm, idk. I didn't pay attn, and I guess I don't care what others do. My kids, dh and myself all wear rg at the beach.

georgiegirl
03-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Usually there are a few others.

wencit
03-11-2015, 01:41 PM
My kids both wear rashguards because I'm lazy, and it's just one less part of the body I have to apply sunscreen to. :p DH and I don't, though.

Tons of kids at the pool around us wear rashguards - to the point that I feel self-conscious about my lack of parenting skills if my kids aren't wearing them. I can't comment about beach use, because we don't go to the beach all that often.

hwin708
03-11-2015, 01:44 PM
I see them quite frequently on other kids. Rarely on adults, never on men. But quite a few women come up to me and ask me about my rashguards - I generally try to get really cute ones.

I am inflexible on the kids wearing them in the sun. Some of them burn, some of them don't. It doesn't matter - I am far more concerned with the health related concerns of too much sun that I am an uncomfortable sunburn, and the health problems exist regardless of if you burn.

anonomom
03-11-2015, 01:45 PM
I always wear a rashguard or swim tee, and so do my two younger kids (both of whom inherited my fair skin). DD1 has a darker complexion and has resisted wearing rash guards since she turned 7 or so. I don't tend to look to see what others are wearing, but I've never felt like we stood out at the pool.

KrisM
03-11-2015, 01:57 PM
No. Many around here wear them. I notice because many of them are the as the ones my kids have, so I have to look closely when I'm looking across the pool.

hillview
03-11-2015, 02:10 PM
we see them often but not 100% I have one and DH has a workout shirt he sometimes wears in the pool

Snow mom
03-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Everyone in my family wears one. I'm actually the only person in our family who burns lobster red in 10 minutes but I think my experience with sunburns as a kid left an impression on me so I insist my kids wear them. They are fairly common around here, both at pools and the beach. You also see a lot of kids in wetsuits at the beach because the water is warm enough for swimming but really not warm.

TwinFoxes
03-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Grown ups here don't really wear them, kids of all ages do. Mine do sometimes, but they have a lot of suits, we just pick them randomly. They don't burn, and we use sunscreen. It's nice to have a smaller area to put sunscreen on sometimes.

HannaAddict
03-11-2015, 02:58 PM
I've never seen an adult wear one. My ten year old son likes wearing short sleeved one. His sister not so much unless it is stylish.

ahisma
03-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Nope. Plenty of kids wear them here (Michigan), both at the beach and at the pool. I see plenty of adults with them too. If you look around, there are some nice looking ones available. I like LE for women.

Mopey
03-11-2015, 03:06 PM
We really only go to the beach (as opposed to a pool). I always wear mine (or some kind of cover) and Mopey hers. I am another burner with a bad history and many scary trips to the dermo. I have a feeling Mopey has the great skin of my hubby but I feel she's still too young and like a PP said it makes the whole sunscreen thing easier. We are usually with family and most all the kids have them. I'm the only adult. But I burn. And when people marvel at my lack of wrinkles I always mention that I've stayed out of the sun on purpose since I was about 20. Learned my lesson!

Simon
03-11-2015, 03:08 PM
My kids usually wear them outside (pool or beach) but not always at the indoor pool. Adults often have cover-ups not official rash guards here but many kids do. Depending on the day/location it may be a majority in either direction.

MommyAllison
03-11-2015, 03:16 PM
My kids wear them, and we are never the only ones. We moved last year - prior to that we were mostly swimming in pools, now we are mostly swimming in lakes. When DS was tiny, I rarely saw other kids in rashguards but now it seems very common. We use them for sun protection, but it's also much easier to hold onto slippery babies/toddlers when they are wearing a rashguard!

As far as adults, I never saw them in our old state, but here I am starting to see some adults wear them, both men and women. There have been very few summers in the last 10 years that I haven't been nursing, and halter top swimsuits are sooo much easier for that. Now that I'm done nursing, I do need to find a rashguard for myself.

rlu
03-11-2015, 03:44 PM
At nearly 11 DS is not pushing back on the rash guard so not an issue for us. We didn't have him wear it during lessons at the Y as that was an indoor pool but many of the other kids were wearing rash guards. At the beach he does wear it. He's looking for something warmer as we'll let him get in deeper now that he can truly swim and hopefully not panic if caught in a rip-tide so I'm watching several threads here on wetsuit-type swimsuits.

I don't have one but do plan to buy one mainly for coverage as I am so tired to trying to find a suit that fits my chest that doesn't look like something Kim K wears or costs too much.

rlu
03-11-2015, 03:46 PM
My kids burn if they sit by a window too long... (J/k)

Hah, this is me! I get a sunburn driving down to MIL's (2.5 hr drive) during the summer. I'm the only one in the car wearing long sleeves when it's 80+ outside.

fauve01
03-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Hah, this is me! I get a sunburn driving down to MIL's (2.5 hr drive) during the summer. I'm the only one in the car wearing long sleeves when it's 80+ outside.

this is me too. I also get a sunburn thru the car window. DD has a darker complexion that I do (more like DH) and her body doesn't really burn, but her face is crazy super sensitive and it will burn thru the car window too. she always wears a hat, even at school.

OP to answer your poll, my kid (11YO) isn't the only one in a rash guard. in fact, I would say I see more kids (all ages) with rash guards than without. we are north of you in the South Bay and at the beach and pool all. the. time.

DH has a RG he wears every time. I don't have one but I can't remember the last time I took my t shirt off and actually swam.

we have short sleeved rash guards.

94bruin
03-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Lots of people here wear rash guards (N. California.)

I have to say when we went to Illinois to visit BIL and family two summers ago, we were the *only* ones with rash guards.

carolinacool
03-11-2015, 04:46 PM
We go to the beach (usually Myrtle Beach) for a week in the summer and to a city pool two three or four times a month.

I don't think I've ever seen an adult in one, definitely not a guy. I do see children wearing them, but probably less than half. I bought one for DS last summer, but he only wore it two or three times. He's half black/half Mexican, and while I know us darker people can get skin cancer, I tend not to worry *as* much. I just slather him in sunscreen.

One of my besties always put them on her kids, who are blond and very fair.

niccig
03-11-2015, 05:08 PM
We're not far from you Annie and I see kids in rashguards at the beach and pool - not every kid, but still a good number. DS (10) and his friends still wear them. I don't think as many girls wear rash guards as boys do.

Mommy_Mea
03-11-2015, 05:17 PM
We always wear rash guards, long sleeved ones. I don't want to worry about applying sunscreen to every square inch. DS1 has DH's skin, so just tans, but DS2 is very fair, and I am a red head, so very concerned about burning.

But I would say the kids are in the minority with their rash guards, especially the long sleeved ones. And as an adult I am definitely the minority! Bit I can't relax at the beach if I think I am going to burn or missed a spot with sunscreen, so it is much easier. I love going to the beach with the kids, and don't want to cut it short because I am worried about burning.

indigo99
03-11-2015, 05:20 PM
My kids are often the only ones with rashguards and hats (besides babies). We're at the splashpad more often than the pool, but the pool and beach that we visited in Florida were this way as well. It takes us too long to get sunscreen on them, and they'd much rather have the shirts and hats than have to reapply sunscreen constantly. I do not have one for myself, but I have a cover-up that I use at the beach and around the pool. I would like to have one for myself, but don't women need to wear something under them?

MelissaTC
03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
We go to the beach (usually Myrtle Beach) for a week in the summer and to a city pool two three or four times a month.

I don't think I've ever seen an adult in one, definitely not a guy.

My DH is the only man in the state of SC wearing one on the beach, lol. He doesn't care. He and M do a lot of boogie boarding so it helps.

M always wears one, beach or pool. It's like second nature to him. DH usually wears one. I don't wear one but probably should.

Momit
03-11-2015, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't say only, but DS wears one and is definitely in the minority. He doesn't wear one for early morning swim practice, but any other time he's in a swimsuit he's wearing one. DH and I often do as well. We are all fair skinned, DH has melanoma in his family and I had a blistering sunburn when I was younger. We try to be careful with hats, sunglasses, the whole 9 yards. Plus a rash guard is so easy compared to sunscreen.

Pear
03-11-2015, 05:50 PM
It is too hot here to wear a rash guard. I stopped using them quickly when dd got beet red.

We are extremely fair. Sunscreen, hats, and sticking to the shade are much more effective

hwin708
03-11-2015, 05:55 PM
I would like to have one for myself, but don't women need to wear something under them?You don't HAVE to wear something under a rashguard, but it is typical. Usually just your bikini top.

If the rashguard is white, you will obviously want to wear something underneath, as it will become seethrough when wet. Primarily, though, the bikini top is for support, as going without it would basically be like going braless in a wet, clingy shirt. I also like to take my rashguard off when I'm in the shade/inside, so it's easier with the bikini top underneath.

essnce629
03-11-2015, 06:08 PM
We near a coastal community 20 minutes south of downtown Los Angeles and we also visit the mountain resorts and rash guards are rare on kids older than 5+. DD1 hasn't worn a rash guard since she was 3, and I think DD2 has worn one twice. DH and I have one for waterskiing or boating, but other than that we never see adults wearing them, and I only wear mine to knock the chill out when I don't want to wear a sweatshirt.
I agree. We're in Los Angeles and DS2 (5.5 yrs) used to wear a rash guard when he was an infant and toddler for swim lessons, but has pretty much refused to wear one since he was about 3.5 years old. DH and I bought our own for our Hawaii trip when we were going to be snorkeling and kayaking in the ocean, but have never worn them otherwise.

mommylamb
03-11-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't wear them but DH and both boys do all the time. DS1 is so accustomed to it that he even wears them to indoor pools. He feels naked without a rash guard. I have never taken with boy to the pool or the beach without them.

gatorsmom
03-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Yes. People actually come up and ask me about why the kids are wearing them. I love them because then I don't have to keep layering on the sunscreen which my kids hate and avoid. They don't fight me as much when tell them I just have to do their neck, face and legs.

jgenie
03-11-2015, 08:19 PM
My boys and I wear them every time we go swimming both indoor and outdoor. We're just outside NYC and I see them on kids of different ages.

daisysmom
03-11-2015, 08:22 PM
We have never worn them, but we see plenty of really fair children and adults wearing them in va.

AustenFan
03-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Here just north of LA, I think about half of the kids in swimming lessons or at the beach wear them. Most of our friends wear them, so my kids have not yet questioned. I'll probably have DS stop wearing one once he starts competitive swim team, as swimming laps with all that extra drag is a pain. Totally agree that it's so much easier to put my kids in rash guards than rub sunscreen in every little crevice, times four kids and me! We always do rash guards, spray sunscreen on legs and hands, and then I only have to do the rubbing in on everyone's faces.

scrooks
03-11-2015, 08:46 PM
My DS1 always wears a rash guard (even at indoor pools)- he's just used to it. My dd wears one about 1/2 of the time (she alternates suits). Ds2 always wears one too. Dh and I don't even own them. Not many people here wear them (beyond babies). We are all pretty fair ( my dc essentially end up with white hair in the summer).

StantonHyde
03-11-2015, 09:01 PM
my kids have always worn them and many, many people here wear them--high altitude, pale skin, intense sun.

smilequeen
03-11-2015, 09:06 PM
I don't wear them but DH and both boys do all the time. DS1 is so accustomed to it that he even wears them to indoor pools. He feels naked without a rash guard. I have never taken with boy to the pool or the beach without them.

My boys are like this. They are just so used to the rashguard that they wear them indoors.

They are not usually the ONLY ones, but the older they get the more uncommon it is. DS1 is 10, and he still likes them, but if he asks within the next few years to go without, I will let him.

o_mom
03-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Mine know they have to wear them between 10 and 4. I don't make them for morning swim lessons or when we go to the pool in the evening. I do not want to put sunscreen on three kids and they are not capable of doing that much themselves. They can handle arms/legs/face, but not torso, let alone their back and shoulders.

I own one because I can't put sunscreen on my own back, so if I want to take them without DH and not get burnt, I use one. I just wear it over my regular suit.

Dh actually went and bought one on our beach trip when he figured out what the "rash" part of a rashguard was referring to. ;)

kerridean
03-11-2015, 09:37 PM
EVERYONE wore them when we lived in San Antonio. Men and Women...all my friends. Here in coastal GA, my husband and I are the few adults I see wearing them on the beach. We wear the O'Neil style. Kids are hit or miss here.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2015, 10:34 PM
It is too hot here to wear a rash guard.

Huh. I am in TX (land of the 100+ temps) and this never crossed my mind. I can see it as issue if the kids wearing them are not actively getting wet (just playing in sand, etc)... but to me it seems like a rashguard would only keep kids cooler...keeping wet clothes against skin and all.

My kiddos are 4 and 5 and we are definitely in the minority here (especially my DD)..most girls DD's age wear bikinis/one pieces already. The only people i tend to see here in rashguards are babies. I think it is just a tradition/fashion thing, TBH...girls are supposed to get the monogrammed 1-pc with ruffles and cute Disney swimsuits. I do often get lots of comments ("oh, so is that a shirt she can wear swimming? where did you get that?"). I'm with gatorsmom in that I HATE dealing with putting sunscreen on kids and it just seems so much easier to have rashguards. They also wear them in indoor pools as well..i think the kids have just gotten used to it so they feel "naked" without it as PP said.

KpbS
03-11-2015, 11:21 PM
My kids wear them, but the older the kiddos get, the fewer I see at the pool. We have skin cancer in our family, lots of skin marks, and will continue to wear the rashguards. I wish they had them when DH and I were young. Could have saved us a lot of skin damage.

teresah00
03-12-2015, 12:00 AM
My kids wear them. There are other kids at the pool w them, but it's not the norm. My 9yo asked for swim capris or leggings this year so she doesn't have to deal w as much sunblock.

citymama
03-12-2015, 01:29 AM
My kids wear s/s rashguards and they're not the only ones by far. It's less common to see bikinis on kids here. But it's pretty cold at the beach, so coverage helps! And where it's very sunny, like Hawaii, you need the sun coverage.

klwa
03-12-2015, 07:03 AM
My kids (and I) always wear them. My oldest brothers kids will sometimes wear T-shirts in the pool, but he won't get them rash guards. (And he had to have part of his upper ear removed due to melanoma! SMH) My other brother's kids never wear rash guards. Dh's brothers, the older one can't understand why we do rash guards, but the younger one's son used one last year. Waiting to see if they use one with their daughter, or if it's too important she looks "cute". I don't think many of the kids from daycare use them when they go to the community pool in the summer, but a few do. And last year I met up with friends at the beach, and it was about half and half who wore rash guards. DH owns one but rarely wears it. Normally when we're at the beach I'd say maybe a quarter of the kids are in rash guards, and another quarter wear T-shirts into the water.

ETA: our kids DON'T wear rash guards if swimming in the late evening or indoors.

mackmama
03-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Yes! DC is 4yo and very fair. Has always worn long sleeved rash guard and pants at beach. Sometimes see a top on others but never the whole suit.