PDA

View Full Version : Swing set questions - Gorilla? Tire swings? Timbershield?

mousemom
03-11-2015, 04:08 PM
We're considering getting a playset for DS1 (6) and DS2 (almost 2). While Triumph and Cedar Works sets look beautiful, we don't really want to spend that much. So we're looking at some of the Gorilla sets. If you have a Gorilla set, how do you like it and how has it held up over time? Did you get the timbershield option?

We're also debating between the A-frame style with the tire swing underneath and the more fort type structure. I feel the fort-type is a little more enclosed, which might help keep DS2 safer. But DS1 really wants a tire swing. If you have a set with a tire swing under the play deck, does it get a lot of use? Seems like it might be hard to get spinning under there? These are the sets I think we're currently considering, if anyone has any other feedback. Thanks - my head is spinning a little with all the options!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Playsets-Sun-Palace-I-Cedar-Play-Set-01-0012/203979069?N=5yc1vZ20m
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Playsets-Chateau-II-with-Amber-Posts-and-Deluxe-Green-Vinyl-Canopy-Cedar-Playset-01-0003-AP-1/205038194?N=5yc1vZ20m

ourbabygirl
03-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Not sure on the types/ brands (we got a Rainbow systems play set in the fall of 2010 when the kids were 2 and newborn, and still love it), but kind of wish we would've gotten one with a tire swing. Didn't realize the kids (DD, in particular) would love tire swings so much. Instead, we have a nice tall one that can hold adults, but it has a sandbox and picnic table underneath (where the tire swing would usually go). Also has a two-part fort-type area above with a vinyl peak-shaped canopy over each area, and a pirate steering wheel & telescope. :) Then it has a climbing wall going up to the higher fort part, 3 big swings and a baby swing, and a disc swing (never gets used). Also wish we could switch out one of the swings for a glider-type swing, which DD would also like.
HTH! The tire swing is definitely a hit for girls her age (probably 4-8 year olds) at the park and school play ground. They love to wind them up and let them untwist- makes my stomach church when I do that! However, we have gotten a ton of use out of the sandbox and picnic table.

indigo99
03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Mine may still be too young, but they haven't been too interested in the tire swing yet. They like it if we stand there and push them with a foot (which is difficult since it's under a deck), but they never use it on their own. I don't especially like that our A-frame style has two sides completely open plus one that's half open for the slide. I do feel like it's more dangerous and am always concerned that someone is going to get pushed off the rock-climbing side. Are there any with tire swings on an arm rather than underneath? What DS has really liked is the 2 person glider that we added.

lhafer
03-11-2015, 09:40 PM
I have a gorilla set with the picnic table underneath. My kids never use that space. My kids love swinging. And they probably would use the tire swing. Our set has held up really well. It's 4 years old and I'm thinking I will stain it again soon. I haven't done anything to the swing in the 4 years we've had it.

elbenn
03-11-2015, 10:50 PM
I have this set: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gorilla-Playsets-Double-Grand-Wooden-Swing-Set/14659160 I think Gorilla has very good quality. The tube slide gets a lot of play and so do the swings. The glider is a nice option to go with the other swings.