PDA

View Full Version : Do you do anything special for st patricks day?

bw52
03-13-2015, 12:40 AM
For your kids. Besides wear green.

I haven't ever done anything more than that. But am considering making a fun dinner....maybe. It would have to be something my super picky kids would eat which could be hard.

rin
03-13-2015, 02:01 AM
We never have, but this year I fell for the St. Patrick's Day grocery display at Trader Joe's. :) I'm going to make corned beef with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, & onions; seems like a great crockpot meal for a mid-week meal!

essnce629
03-13-2015, 02:45 AM
I always make corned beef and cabbage. That's it. I bought my corned beef at Trader Joe's today!

klwa
03-13-2015, 06:39 AM
We wear green. That's it.

Liziz
03-13-2015, 07:22 AM
For DD, I'll use some food coloring to make her morning milk or oatmeal green, but that's it.

For me, (and the rest of my family, but I love it, so I do it for me!) I always make corned beef and cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. And then use the leftovers to make a great hash the next day (an absolute requirement in our house, we love it!)

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2015, 07:51 AM
A shot of Jameson maybe for me. ;). Not much else.

JBaxter
03-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Nope. My boys wear uniforms so not even any green for them.

AbbysMom
03-13-2015, 08:09 AM
My kids wear uniforms but today was a dress down day so they went in St. Patrick's day T-shirts today.

We set leprechaun traps the night before and try to catch one. I was toying with the corned beef and cabbage idea again this year but no one would eat it so I'll pass...

brittone2
03-13-2015, 08:43 AM
We usually read about St Patrick and do some geography related to Ireland as part of our HSing. I don't usually cook anything special but we are doing corned beef in the pressure cooker this year.

specialp
03-13-2015, 09:08 AM
We read a lot of books and do crafts leading up to as we do for every holiday so they are all into the symbols. (One found the perfect stick to be a shillelagh.) I hate corned beef so I cook an Irish stew (modified) and soda bread. I'm attempting a low carb Irish cake because we have a family celebration the day after. For breakfast we do green eggs (spinach). My youngest wants a claddagh ring like mommy so I'm going to print one on an address label to put on his finger because I promised him one to wear to school. That's pretty much it.

hillview
03-13-2015, 09:11 AM
green food coloring in toilet -- leprechauns.

elliput
03-13-2015, 09:14 AM
We typically wear something green and try to have corned beef and cabbage for dinner. A few years ago, my DD insisted that we go on a leprechaun hunt. We walked around a field for a bit and came up empty handed.

TwinFoxes
03-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Not at all. We always had corned beef and cabbage growing up. But my Irish-American DH hates it. I think DDs might freak at green milk. :)

lalasmama
03-13-2015, 09:46 AM
I used to color things green, but DD didn't think it tasted right then, so I haven't colored in years. She used to make leprechaun traps to take to school. So glad that's not done in her middle school. I dreaded that project every March of elementary school!

Momit
03-13-2015, 09:49 AM
We played up the leprechaun thing last year. My DS doesn't really believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny, but he is willing to entertain the idea of leprechauns. I left some chocolate coins on the table and I made little footprints leading out the door. And green in the toilet. DH happened to find a toy he had bought but never given DS, so he happened to leave it out and DS thought the leprechaun brought it. So I guess I will leave out a little toy this year too, lol.

And we usually go out for corned beef and green beer.

DualvansMommy
03-13-2015, 10:25 AM
It's my favorite holiday after Christmas! [emoji4] after all, I AM Irish! I never heard of corned beef and cabbage until I moved to NY 20 years ago, and everyone back home I know don't do that at all, lol! Plus I hate corned beef and cabbage, tried it in Chicago and Boston over st paddy week.

We usually throw a party the weekend before 17th at our home, so it's tomorrow. Whoo hoo! I'll be making lamb stew and Shepard pie along with a platter of mixed vegetables.

We usually wear green and wear goofy hats and green blinking lights for DS1. Then hit up our town parade Sunday. I went to party city the other day and couldn't resist to buy gold and green chocolate coins [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wendibird22
03-13-2015, 10:26 AM
My kids have built leprechaun traps for school that we then use at home. The leprechaun always does a little something mischievous like rearrange the kitchen chairs or move the window cling decorations around. I found sticker tattoos many years ago that are shamrocks and I put one someone on my kids while they sleep so they think the leprechaun did it. It's fun but I honestly don't make a big effort and I don't do anything that requires clean up on my part.

Nemesia
03-13-2015, 01:06 PM
It's the only day of the year my kids get a sugary cereal, unless they're at Grandma's house. They look forward to their Lucky Charms all year! :) I usually make something "green" for dinner that night. The past two years I made green chile enchiladas and guacamole with mint chip ice cream for dessert.

Mikey0709
03-13-2015, 01:47 PM
I have put green food coloring in milk - - and also a few drop in the boiling water for pasta - turning pasta green. Potatoes also color pretty well.

They LOVED it.

fauve01
03-13-2015, 02:11 PM
A shot of Jameson maybe for me. ;). Not much else.

:yeahthat: great idea! I can't believe it never occurred to me. :duh:

for us, we dress in green and I make the corned beef/roasted cabbage/roasted potatoes & carrots dinner (a dinner we never saw on any menu in Ireland BTW).

our town has a great St Patty Day parade we usually go to, but it's on the weekend.

when dd was little, she made leprechaun traps, but she's outgrown that. I was thinking of making some muffins and putting some green food coloring inside.

StantonHyde
03-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Oh yes! DC's go to a Catholic school--the Diocese requires that each school have a float in the St Patrick's Day parade (which will be tomorrow, not actually on the day). So we are helping to decorate the float tonight. Tomorrow, DS will be in a leprechaun costume and the rest of us will be in as much green as we can find. The parade is a blast. We will be done with everything by noon and then I will collapse!!! One year, we had tickets to a NBA game that night, so DS wore his leprechaun outfit to the game. We actually had 2 seats just behind the opposing team bench (that we "won" at the school auction). You could actually see DS jumping up and down on the news coverage the next day--due to his green outfit!!

zukeypur
03-13-2015, 03:36 PM
We will wear green and cook corned beef and cabbage. Also probably soda bread and chocolate stout cake.

Philly Mom
03-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Dress my kids in red and white and have them wear the St. George's cross?? I jest a bit. DH is English. We ignore the day or else DH would want to make a counter statement, i.e. have the kids wear English gear.

Mopey
03-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Absolutely nada. But we used to take going drinking pretty seriously :hysterical:

123LuckyMom
03-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Nothing except talk about the actual St. Patrick. I love the green food coloring in the toilet idea, though!!! What a great idea!

ang79
03-13-2015, 09:53 PM
DD1 has insisted on making leprechaun traps the past few years since they did it when she was in kindergarten. I'm guessing we will be doing that again this year. And the girls like Lucky Charms for a treat. Have also done green pancakes in the past. They wear green to school and this year I made them little knit shamrocks strung on black ribbon for necklaces and a green sparkly scarf for myself to wear (I'll be volunteering in my daughter's kindly class that morning so need to get into the spirit of things!). And I found this easy recipe for shamrock bread, will probably add some green food coloring to the dough, (recipe is at the bottom of the blog post)
http://alpacameadows.com/free-knit-and-crochet-patterns-group-of-greens-snuggle-yarn/

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2015, 10:14 PM
:yeahthat: great idea! I can't believe it never occurred to me. :duh:

It was the thing to do when we were in Vegas a few years back on St Patrick's Day. ;).

Jen841
03-13-2015, 10:31 PM
My son spotted shamrock shaped ravioli at Costco, guess we will have that. Sometime in the next week we will have Shepard pie and/or corned beef. Green pancakes for breakfast is a household tradition, in the past it has been dinner and Lucky Charms with green milk for breakfast.

For sandwiches I will try to get a loaf of rainbow bread, wish I missed out on last year.

The best part will be catching some Irish dancing and music this weekend. I am a sucker for bagpipes!

Fun days coming!

bw52
03-14-2015, 12:50 AM
For sandwiches I will try to get a loaf of rainbow bread, wish I missed out on last

Fun days coming!

Can you buy rainbow bread? I googled and see i could make it, but i dont have time for that right now. My kids would love it, though. Do you buy it somewhere?

lizzywednesday
03-14-2015, 07:30 PM
We eat corned beef with potatoes, and I'm going to buy sauerkraut. (DH doesn't eat cabbage, I'm not buying a whole head for just me, and I'm not in a cole slaw mood.)

Beyond that, I'm not one to make a big deal out of minor holidays. (If I were really going to bother, the March saint's days that I would fuss over are DD's birthday and the Feast of St Joseph, which was her discharge day.)

lizzywednesday
03-14-2015, 07:38 PM
It's my favorite holiday after Christmas! [emoji4] after all, I AM Irish! I never heard of corned beef and cabbage until I moved to NY 20 years ago, and everyone back home I know don't do that at all, lol! Plus I hate corned beef and cabbage, tried it in Chicago and Boston over st paddy week.

According to what I've learned recently (i.e. - Good Eats episode "Corn the Beef (http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/10-series/corn-the-beef.html)") the corned beef is what Irish immigrants could get from Jewish butchers on the Lower East Side of NY way back when, so it naturally wouldn't be served in Ireland. Adding cabbage is a nod, so I am told, to colcannon. (Also, it was cheap then and it's pretty cheap now - this time of year, you can get it for, what, a nickel a pound?)

Most people make cabbage wrong, IMO, and they're not doing the vegetable justice. It needs a certain preparation to make it any good. Boiling it? Not my favorite preparation; I like Alton Brown's "Shred, Head, Butter, and Bread (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shred-head-butter-and-bread-recipe.html)" recipe.

ang79
03-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Can you buy rainbow bread? I googled and see i could make it, but i dont have time for that right now. My kids would love it, though. Do you buy it somewhere?

We have a local chain restaurant that always has rainbow bread on the kids menu and they also sell it by the loaf ($5 for a small loaf so we only get it for special occasions like birthdays!), but I've heard its pretty easy to make as well.

mom2ethan
03-15-2015, 04:13 PM
It's the only day of the year my kids get a sugary cereal, unless they're at Grandma's house. They look forward to their Lucky Charms all year! :)

Lucky Charms for us too! That's about it...and the kids' uniform shirts are green.