PDA

View Full Version : Would you get this checked?

jbbhb
03-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Yesterday ds1 & ds2 were rough housing on the grass and somehow (neither DH or I saw) ds2 (nearly 3) hurt his foot. He cried a lot right away (not unusual for him when he gets a minor owie) but calmed down pretty quickly. I can't see anything- no redness, no swelling, no cuts. He points to his big toe joint when I ask him where it hurts. I've pressed all around his foot and he doesn't seem to have any tenderness. But.... He will not walk on it. Even when he woke up around 11 he was avoiding putting any pressure on that side of his foot. Would you have the ped check it?

truly scrumptious
03-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Yes, I would. At that age I would worry that he wouldn't be able to properly articulate what was hurting. And I'd worry that there was a problem in his ankle or leg which wasn't causing pain in the foot per se, but making it painful to walk.

Indianamom2
03-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Hmmm, I think I probably would. That sounds a lot like how my DD acted when she broke her big toe. She fell off the monkey bars and landed wrong at school when she was in K. She cried a lot at first (totally normal for her) but then calmed down and stayed the rest of the day at school. They checked her toe, but didn't think anything was wrong. It started to bruise some later in the evening and she wouldn't really walk on it, so I took her to urgent care that night. They x-rayed, but still said it wasn't broken. It wasn't until days later that the radiologist decided that it was indeed fractured.

Hope that's not the case for you guys, but if it is...it's not the worst bone to break in a little kid!

PZMommy
03-13-2015, 12:00 PM
I would, and I have. My 3 yr old had similar symptoms after jumping off a stair and landing wrong. They did x Rays and everything was fine. Dr said that they still have a lot of cartelege in their foot at that age, so a break was unlikely, but worth checking out just in case.

jbbhb
03-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone. We went in and got X-rays and everything looks okay. He still won't walk on it so I'm hoping maybe by tomorrow it will feel a little better.

AngB
03-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Glad you got it checked out! I have a friend whose 2 yo went down a step wrong and did break her foot, her only sign was that she wouldn't put weight on it. Glad your Ds is OK!