PDA

View Full Version : Get Him Checked?

Indianamom2
03-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Ds is 5.5. He has complained today of a tummy ache (but is eating just fine), bit of a sore throat (Dh and I both have colds with sore throats) and now a headache. He is not generally a complainer. No fever. He has been running around flinging himself all over the house playing, so acting normal. Normally, I'd just call it a cold, but here's the rub: I got a note home yesterday from his Pre-K class that there has been a case of strep in his class. None of us have ever had strep. We all have separate events planned tonight (one is a daddy date-night at his pre-k, so they've already been exposed). I was planning on taking DD to see Cinderella at the theatre (already have tickets).

Worth waiting it out with no fever for a day? We could possibly get in tomorrow or there's always urgent care if the pedi can't get him in. WWYD?

nfowife
03-13-2015, 02:15 PM
I'd only bring him in for a fever.

PZMommy
03-13-2015, 02:22 PM
My kids present with stomach ache when they have strep. I'd take him in.

sarahsthreads
03-13-2015, 02:58 PM
For the first time ever I had strep with no fever and vague nausea last week. (I've had it a few times before, and always had a fever and it's never made me nauseated.) And my sore throat wasn't *that* sore, but it was show week for the musical and one of the violinists was out with strep, so for due diligence and because we were coming up on the weekend I went and had a strep test, which came back positive.

So...before last week I'd have said wait. Now I'd say definitely get him checked.

There's no reason you couldn't take your DD to the movie, though. It's contagious, but not quarantine the whole family contagious. I had it, but nobody else in my family got it, despite DS being up close and personal with me before and after diagnosis.

Sarah :)

KpbS
03-13-2015, 09:41 PM
When my DC got strep years ago, one always presented with a stomachache and headache. It was very predictable for him. I would get him checked out and not wait for a fever.