PDA

View Full Version : Underbed storage ideas

Pyrodjm
03-15-2015, 07:45 AM
On the living in a small space thread, many mentioned underbed storage. Please share what you are using with this new homeowner. I'm trying to get our place together and maximize space.

vludmilla
03-15-2015, 08:18 AM
We have an Ikea bed that lifts up so that the entire area under the king mattress is storage for out of season clothes and linens. We can still use the actual under bed area for a little storage but I prefer discrete storage that is not visible. We have Room and Board twin storage bed for DDs bed.

gymnbomb
03-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Our guest room bed is up on those little bed lift things from BB&B to give an extra ~4 inches underneath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikeys_mom
03-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Depends on the bed. Most of our beds are just mattresses on a metal frame, then a bedskirt to hide the frame. We use the rubbermaid-type containers on wheels that slide under the beds. They aren't rubbermaid brand. Can't remember the brand but I had to try a few until I found ones that fit under our frames. The ones we ended up with have the wheels notched up into the bins so it doesn't add any extra height. Ikea also sells some but they were too high for our beds.

Globetrotter
03-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Deleted- not sure how my reply ended up in this thread!

mm123
03-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Depends on the bed. Most of our beds are just mattresses on a metal frame, then a bedskirt to hide the frame. We use the rubbermaid-type containers on wheels that slide under the beds. They aren't rubbermaid brand. Can't remember the brand but I had to try a few until I found ones that fit under our frames. The ones we ended up with have the wheels notched up into the bins so it doesn't add any extra height. Ikea also sells some but they were too high for our beds.

We have the exact same set up and it works well. Mattress and boxspring on a metal frame with a bedskirt. We also use plastic underbed containers on wheels. I can't remember where exactly we got them- maybe Home Depot or Lowes?

ETA: I think they may be something like this. We had to take the wheels off to fit them under one of our lower frames. http://t.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-67-Qt-Wheeled-Latch-Box-18958004/100671090/

mm123
03-15-2015, 08:36 PM

We have the exact same set up and it works well. Mattress and boxspring on a metal frame with a bedskirt. We also use plastic underbed containers on wheels. I can't remember where exactly we got them- maybe Home Depot or Lowes?

Pyrodjm
03-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the link and ideas.

ang79
03-15-2015, 10:39 PM

I bought some Sterilite brand ones from Target a few years ago, one for DH and one for me to hold clothing. I also have a larger one that I put general wrapping paper supplies in (I have a separate one elsewhere for Christmas wrappings but this big one holds all birthday, shower, etc. wrapping paper and gift bags). We have a queen size bed, so that still leaves some room on the other side for our firesafe security box and other random things.

KpbS
03-15-2015, 10:54 PM
DC Legos are kept under their beds in an "under the bed" type storage box. The lack of depth really helps them find the specific pieces more easily than deeper boxes. I also keep DD's pajamas under her bed in a similar box.