PDA

View Full Version : Montessori questions

mackmama
03-15-2015, 08:28 PM
We are moving out of state and are picking DC's school for next year. We are considering a Montessori school. I'd really appreciate any feedback as to whether a Montessori would be a good fit for DC. I've read about Montessori but really don't know too much about it. This school is accredited AMS not AMI fwiw. DC would be in a mixed class of ages 3-6.

DC is 4yo, highly spirited, strong-willed yet also kind of a rule follower, rigid, sensitive, very social, super sweet, empathetic, has a great imagination, and has some sensory stuff (primarily audio and touch- does not like a lot of touch and is sensitive to loud sounds/music). DC loves learning, playing, is independent, inquisitive and curious. Very self-directed.

How do you all think this type of personality would do in a Montessori? Are Montessori classrooms typically good/experienced with sensory issues- or is that something I should specifically ask about? I am thinking the quiet Montessori classroom could be a positive since DC's current school is very loud and chaotic and overwhelms DC.

DC's former preschool was Reggio Emilia based and child-led, and DC loved it. DC's current school feels a bit more like daycare, is very teacher-led, feels overly chaotic, and was a struggle for DC the first few months (has adjusted ok now).

My understanding is that Montessori encourages a lot of independent play (is that correct?) Since DC is an only child, I really want the social development to be an integral piece of school.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2015, 08:45 PM
My advice is to be sure that it is accredited. There is a Montessori here that is Montessori by name but not practice here. It's a terrible school. They charge a fortune and people ignore that it doesn't adhere to the philosophy.

mackmama
03-15-2015, 08:47 PM
It is accredited and very reputable. Just trying to figure out if the Montessori philosophy is a good fit for DC.

anonomom
03-15-2015, 08:55 PM
I can't speak to sensory issues, but our experience with Montessori is that it's very good for a self-directed kid. The classrooms tend to be relatively quiet and serene as each kid goes about his/her work independently. There is still opportunity for socialization and interaction -- some work can be done in pairs, older kids sometimes present works to younger ones, etc. There isn't a ton of imaginative play, or play at all for that matter -- our schools haven't had have dolls, play kitchens or other toys sometimes found in more play-based schools. There are plenty of fun activities, just not "play" as such.

Simon
03-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Yes, very good for a self-directed kid and also should allow him to self-regulate some on the sensory front. I know it helped my Ds who was easily overwhelmed by high energy kids to be able to move into a quiet space and set physical boundaries. IME, kids were welcome to work together/collaborate, but it wasn't required of them. IOW, ours allowed kids to say, "I'd like to work alone" and other kids were expected to respect that vs. the enforcement of sharing your toy/game. Our M respected the kids play as work so playing together was allowed but also more optional, if that makes sense.

squimp
03-15-2015, 09:10 PM
They encourage independent work. A school that is accredited and thus adheres to the Montessori approach spends the day teaching the kids how to properly use the Montessori materials, and then they are to work quietly on their own, usually by themselves or with one other child. Free play or traditional play doesn't really happen in the Montessori 3-6 yo classroom. In our experience the kids who had the hardest time were really social and extroverted girls, like DD. She was much happier in a high quality play based preschool.

hillview
03-15-2015, 09:22 PM
sounds like a good fit to me (DSs both did montessori for many years)

mackmama
03-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Are Montessori schools typically familiar with handling sensory issues or is that something I should specifically ask?

squimp
03-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Are Montessori schools typically familiar with handling sensory issues or is that something I should specifically ask?

I don't know about that, seems like it could depend on the school and teacher. Montessori primary usually has 24 kids per classroom, so you might also ask about that if it could be a concern.

mackmama
03-16-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't know about that, seems like it could depend on the school and teacher. Montessori primary usually has 24 kids per classroom, so you might also ask about that if it could be a concern.

This class would have 16 kids, 2 teachers.

Simon
03-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Depending on his sensory issues, I'd probably ask them if they are able to accommodate specific things, but I'd reserve that for an in-person meeting if possible. It depends on what bothers him most and how easily the environment can be adapted to suit him. M schools are often quiet relative to traditional daycare/preK environments but you'd want to know if, for example, they have regular dance parties or some such thing that would be unique to the school and a poor fit for your Ds. IME, there was a higher standard of behavior at the M school wrt respecting other kids, their space/work, and the physical environment. Also, because the kids chose their activities, he could most likely self select away from works with unpleasant sensory elements.

Kindra178
03-16-2015, 11:05 AM
This class would have 16 kids, 2 teachers.

That's a relatively small Montessori classroom. I would have no concerns about sensory issues in a classroom that size.

MamaSnoo
03-16-2015, 04:59 PM
I know you said you were moving out of state, but if at all possible, I would ask to observe at the school. Obervation prior to sending a child and observation of the classroom your child is in after you enroll is a pretty common thing in many Montessori schools. I think is hard to understand what a classic Montessori primary classroom is really like unless you have seen it.

FWIW, I think it is the kind of environment which is good for kids who struggle with noise, physical cramping, and distraction due to too much action in their surroundings. My DD was very much like that when she started at age 3. There is a constant low level hum to these environments which allows for self-direction and movement, but is also quite contained. It is not everyone's cup of tea, but we have really liked Montessori, so much so that my DD has continued in 1st grade at a Montessori school. My DS is starting there in the fall.

citymama
03-16-2015, 06:05 PM
I would check local parenting website reviews or try and speak to parents of former students. We were all psyched to send DD1 to the Montessori preschool in the neighborhood we moved to a few years ago. She was leaving her phenomenal Reggio Emilia preschool and we couldn't do the 30-40 minute commute across town each way to keep her there. The Montessori we considered is accredited, has nice facilities etc. Well, on asking around to friends of friends, it turns out that the principal and head teacher are very very strict, authoritarian style teachers. They knew kids who had been stifled and miserable during their time there. So not only is the method not ideal for all, but there are Montessoris and there are Montessoris (just like with any other kind of school). Just having the label of a particular teaching style, whether Waldorf or Emilia or Montessori, isn't a seal of approval. We chose a university lab school instead and loved it. Good luck!

mackmama
03-16-2015, 06:21 PM
I would check local parenting website reviews or try and speak to parents of former students. We were all psyched to send DD1 to the Montessori preschool in the neighborhood we moved to a few years ago. She was leaving her phenomenal Reggio Emilia preschool and we couldn't do the 30-40 minute commute across town each way to keep her there. The Montessori we considered is accredited, has nice facilities etc. Well, on asking around to friends of friends, it turns out that the principal and head teacher are very very strict, authoritarian style teachers. They knew kids who had been stifled and miserable during their time there. So not only is the method not ideal for all, but there are Montessoris and there are Montessoris (just like with any other kind of school). Just having the label of a particular teaching style, whether Waldorf or Emilia or Montessori, isn't a seal of approval. We chose a university lab school instead and loved it. Good luck!

The school itself is great, reputable, I've talked to current parents, etc. I'm just trying to learn more about Montessori itself and whether its philosophy and teaching style would be a good fit for my particular DC.

bisous
03-16-2015, 06:33 PM
I think that if there is good supervision and a variety of activities to do, any kind of preschool can provide a good social environment. I think the best social experiences my kids have are when they are overseen by kind, caring adults who know when to give space and when to intervene and don't put up with any unkindness. I think that can be found in any environment. I do think that certain personalities do better in montessori than other but I do not have any personal experience. I considered it with DS1 and ultimately figured it would be a fail for him as he likes to do everything the "wrong" way and has grown up to be extremely creative. I'm wondering if it might be a great thing for my Ds3 who is rather anxious and particular. But I'm only speculating here!

squimp
03-16-2015, 06:36 PM
I know you said you were moving out of state, but if at all possible, I would ask to observe at the school. Obervation prior to sending a child and observation of the classroom your child is in after you enroll is a pretty common thing in many Montessori schools. I think is hard to understand what a classic Montessori primary classroom is really like unless you have seen it.

I think this is key - perhaps you have a reputable Montessori school locally that you could visit, in order to picture what it's like there? Of course they are not all alike, but it would give you a better picture of what Montessori is all about (e.g. what is "work"). It's really it's own cup of tea, so I think it would help to look at it with your own eyes and think about whether that kind of classroom is a good fit for your son.

westwoodmom04
03-16-2015, 06:59 PM
I think this is key - perhaps you have a reputable Montessori school locally that you could visit, in order to picture what it's like there? Of course they are not all alike, but it would give you a better picture of what Montessori is all about (e.g. what is "work"). It's really it's own cup of tea, so I think it would help to look at it with your own eyes and think about whether that kind of classroom is a good fit for your son.

I second this. As I have written on some previous thread on this topic, I thought my dd would love Montessori and she hated it. Luckily, I enrolled her in a trial program before committing to a full year. I would definitely give it a try out, either locally or after the move, before fully committing.

essnce629
03-17-2015, 02:14 AM
DS2 went to Montessori preschool and we loved it, but I definitely agree that an observation is highly recommended or even required when applying. I had done the parent and me classes on the weekend at our school for several months so I already knew how the atmosphere was, all the jobs, etc but I still did 2 observations of the bigger classrooms in action which were obviously different than our short 2 hour parent and me class. You'll definitely get a feel for the school and whether it will be a good fit for your child by observing.