PDA

View Full Version : At what age do girls stop wearing scooters (skirts w/ attached shorts underneath?)

ang79
03-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Trying to take advantage of the $10 off coupon on kids clothes at Kohls that ends tonight. DD1 is 8.5 and in second grade. She is very thin so probably wears a smaller size than many of her friends. In the past she has loved wearing scooters in the summer as she is a girly girl and loves the twirly factor of them, or that they look more like a skirt but have the comfort of shorts. Are these still in for girls her age? Since she wears a smaller size I don't want to buy clothes that her friends will call baby-ish, though she is pretty cool about wearing what she wants (Disney Princess tees) and playing with what she wants (princesses and fairies) even when her friends have grown out of those things. Still, I don't want to run the risk of peer issues, as she is already kinda sensitive about friend issues.

Thanks!

mom2binsd
03-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Maybe 5th grade, I think you're good.

westwoodmom04
03-15-2015, 09:47 PM
kid dependent, my dd stopped wearing them in second grade.

daisysmom
03-15-2015, 09:51 PM
My just turned 8 year old second grader is super fashion oriented now. More so than last summer. We just came back from soring break and she spent every day in varying colors of jeans shorts. For us, I think we are last the skirt phase.

mom2ethan
03-15-2015, 09:52 PM
DD is 9.5 and in fourth grade. She continues to wear scooters / skorts as much as ever. She's had Children's Place ones every year and now she also has some that are more athletic-looking (like running skirts) that she often wears to soccer practice. I would say most of the other girls we see in them wear the athletic-looking ones.

DD probably does dress a little younger than some girls in her class, but she's never had anyone say anything about it.

JBaxter
03-15-2015, 09:54 PM
I have 2 skorts I wear I didn't know you had to stop!

WatchingThemGrow
03-15-2015, 10:01 PM
My DD is in 3rd grade and still wants skorts as her swimwear in addition to daily wear in the summer.

ang79
03-15-2015, 10:02 PM
I have 2 skorts I wear I didn't know you had to stop!

Hehe, I meant the frilly tiered ones :)

ang79
03-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Thanks! I put some in my cart, along with some tank tops, but now I can't get the $10 off coupon to work :( I wish Kohls had online customer support, I really don't feel like calling them at this hour and the 30% off discount ends tonight.

american_mama
03-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Hey, I used to call them scooters myself as a child, but haven't heard anyone else call them that! As a mom, I've called them skorts regardless of whether they are tiered/twirly or not. Interestingly, I just asked DD2, aged 10 and 4th grade, about skorts yesterday. She said she was interested, then tried two on and didn't like them, nor did I. She wore them a lot in 2nd grade and before. To give you an idea of her style, she is bigger and taller than average, and she has developed a rather sporty fashion style. She likes to wear T shirts from her now-numerous sports team and jeans or jean shorts.

KrisM
03-16-2015, 07:13 AM
DD is in 3rd and wears a dress or skirt most days. She has both scooters and regular skirts.

Globetrotter
03-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Well, my 10th grader still wears them, and I do too in the summer, especially on active days!

jenmcadams
03-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Well, my 10th grader still wears them, and I do too in the summer, especially on active days!

My 7th grader still wears them - we have gotten skater skirts at places like Target, Amer Eagle, Aero, Children's Place, etc. that have the built in shorts.

bigsis
03-19-2015, 07:12 PM
My 11yo DD still wears them.

KpbS
03-20-2015, 12:52 AM
I've seen a bunch of them at Target, Kohl's and TCP in the girls (big girls) dept. for this spring.

calebsmama03
03-20-2015, 05:02 PM
DD is 9.5 and in fourth grade. She continues to wear scooters / skorts as much as ever.

DD probably does dress a little younger than some girls in her class, but she's never had anyone say anything about it.

Both of these are true for us, as well. She is starting to get "fashion" oriented but still appreciates the function of a scooter! I make her wear cartwheel shorts under any skirt that isn't at least knee length anyway.

maestramommy
03-20-2015, 05:19 PM
In reply to title question, when girls stop wanting to wear skirts while playing. Which for my kids hasn't happened yet. Either they are wearing scooters or they are wearing shorts under their dresses.

westwoodmom04
03-20-2015, 05:45 PM
In reply to title question, when girls stop wanting to wear skirts while playing. Which for my kids hasn't happened yet. Either they are wearing scooters or they are wearing shorts under their dresses.

Perfectly put, my dd almost exclusively wears shorts, leggings or jeans.