PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: 2nd question added re: washing machine in kitchen?

indigo99
03-16-2015, 02:23 PM
2nd question: There is a small closet in the kitchen that contains the hot water heater. Would you move the hot water heater into a bedroom closet if it then allowed the washer (washer/dryer stacked once they can upgrade) to be hidden in the kitchen? The hwh would take up half of the master bedroom closet since that closet already shares a wall with plumbing. The closets aren't very large so they already plan to have part of their clothing in the 3rd bedroom closet anyway.

This is an older home that a family member purchased. The current set-up has the washer and dryer in a small room that is part of the carport (out a kitchen door and down a few steps). The room is not heated, and there are problems with the pipes freezing as well as problems with the drainage plumbing. We found out today that the kitchen subfloor is moldy so it has to go along with all of the kitchen cabinets and part of the sheetrock. Now that the kitchen is basically getting remodeled anyway, should the washer and dryer be moved into the ktichen? The only other place it could go inside would be in one of the bedrooms. There are 3 and only two will be used as bedrooms. The third will be an office/playroom for now but could eventually be needed if they have another child (no current plans to do so). They just purchased this house. The plan is to either be there a long time (15+ years) or to possibly move in about 5 years since it is zoned for a less than desirable middle school. Which option would you go with in this situation?

acmom
03-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Our last house had the laundry in a large closet at the end of the eat in area of the kitchen. I didn't mind it there at all as it was easy to access while I was doing other chores around the house and I could close the doors to hide any mess. I used the kitchen table to fold. I think I actually liked that setup better than what I have now in our laundry/mudroom (which is too narrow and small to hold both laundry stuff and coats and gear!).

Philly Mom
03-16-2015, 02:35 PM
In the UK most washing machines are in the kitchen. My MIL likes it there. It is abnormal in the states but if they plan to be there for awhile then I would go for it.

TwinFoxes
03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
If there's room, I'd do a closet in the kitchen probably. Unless it's an open floor plan, because I'd be worried about noise.

niccig
03-16-2015, 02:43 PM
We know a few people here who have that set-up. Cons were needing smaller machinges than they wanted to fit in the space and noise. Our washing machine/dryer is in seperate room but not far from the family room. I tend to put the washing on at night and it drives DH nuts that he can hear the machines while watching TV, and our new machines are quieter than the old ones. They may need to reconsider when they do the laundry if there's too much noise.

I would prefer this than having machines outside and having pipe issues.

JBaxter
03-16-2015, 02:45 PM
I love my laundry off the kitchen. If you are remodeling can you heat the room where the laundry is currently?

DualvansMommy
03-16-2015, 02:46 PM
Since you're redoing the kitchen, I would add a in depth closet to house the washing/dryer with shelving above. That would hold the soap and such and owners can always close the closet doors to hide the visual.

Like Phillymom said a lot and lot of homes in ireland and the UK usually have washing machines in their kitchen. Not all also have a dryer as tend to hang the washing outside. My parents build an addition to add a playroom, eating area and laundry room that ran alongside of our actual kitchen, but that wasn't really the norm for many people I know growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mopey
03-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Since I am also used to Euro styles I don't mind it in the kitchen. I think the idea of making sure the cabinet fits it well and has doors to close and hide it would be great.

acmom
03-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Since you're redoing the kitchen, I would add a in depth closet to house the washing/dryer with shelving above. That would hold the soap and such and owners can always close the closet doors to hide the visual.

This was exactly the set up we had - a closet that was plenty deep plus space on the sizes of the washer/dryer for the ironing board, brooms, etc. Then there was a shelf and cabinet above them inside the closet.

indigo99
03-16-2015, 02:59 PM
There is a very limited budget so if it goes in the kitchen then it won't have any sort of closet built right now. The kitchen currently has the sink, dishwasher, stove, and fridge along two walls. The other two have one door each (one to the living room and the other to the carport), and they come together in an empty corner where you can put a table. There is a separate dining area as part of the living room though so it wouldn't be horrible to lose that and just walk the extra 6'. I guess they could add a door to the kitchen though and just close it when needed to cut down on noise to the living room. If it stays outside then they would have to figure out a way to heat that room, and they'll need to have the plumbing worked on. You still basically have to go outside to get to it though. It's just a few steps down and then a few more steps to the door, but I wouldn't want to do that in the winter just to do laundry.

egoldber
03-16-2015, 03:18 PM
We have had a laundry area right off the kitchen many times. I think it is very convenient. I would try to find some way to enclose it, or at least be able to separate it from the rest of the kitchen with sliding doors.

mackmama
03-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Our last house had the laundry in a large closet at the end of the eat in area of the kitchen. I didn't mind it there at all as it was easy to access while I was doing other chores around the house and I could close the doors to hide any mess. I used the kitchen table to fold. I think I actually liked that setup better than what I have now in our laundry/mudroom (which is too narrow and small to hold both laundry stuff and coats and gear!).

This is similar to our current setup too. I don't like having the laundry basically right in the kitchen but, in the scenario you described, I'd probably go with it. Maybe a built a little closet/annex for it so the machines aren't visible and to dampen the noise?

Simon
03-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Not unless its in a closet. Second choice is a hall closet or in the Master bedroom. Where we live, washing machine in the kitchen = problems for resale.

essnce629
03-16-2015, 04:43 PM
I could live with it in the kitchen as long as it was in some type of enclosed closet or cabinet. We had full sized front loader washer and dryer stacked in a closet just outside our kitchen in our last house (rental). It wasn't ideal, but much better than having it outside or in the garage, which is a deal breaker for me.

larig
03-16-2015, 04:48 PM
There are all-in-one washer dryer combo units which are very popular in Europe. They don't need a dryer vent or special electrical, just the normal plumbing for a washer. One of these might make the location of the washer/dryer less complicated, because it is both units in one appliance the size of a front-load washer.

http://www.lg.com/us/washer-dryer-combos

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-16-2015, 05:07 PM
We had our washer & dryer in our kitchen. It didn't really bother me at all. We had a cabinet that could hold a stacked washer/dryer. We then replaced with one of the LG combo machines. Honestly, I didn't like it that machine very much. It didn't do a great job washing or drying.

We've since relocated the laundry to a hall closet. It's stacked, but it freed up kitchen cabinet space, which I wanted for a future remodel (which is now happening).

gatorsmom
03-16-2015, 05:11 PM
My host parents in France lived in a small apartment in the center of the city and had their washer/dryer (it was a dual unit) in the kitchen. It fit under the counter right between the range and dishwasher. They did the laundry after dinner most nights and couldn't hear it when watching tv since the family room was separate from the kitchen.

eta: like a pp, they weren't terribly happy with the combo unit. They said the clothes never fully dried. But that was almost 20 years ago. ;)

WatchingThemGrow
03-16-2015, 06:04 PM
I had one outside on a screened porch, but on the same level. We tried to seal up the space with towels in freezing weather, and we often left a light on inside that closet. No pipes ever froze. Eventually when DH and I married, he was able to put money into the house, so we enclosed that porch and put cabinets around the new front loaders. The.n the room was the highlight of our house functionally. Is the outdoor laundry something they can live with while they save/get raises, then make a room of the carport?

bisous
03-16-2015, 06:49 PM
I too have seen this in France. My laundry "room" is right off the dining/kitchen area in my very small home. I find it rather convenient. At night I often start a load of laundry and a load of dishes. It is LOUD but in our case is far from our living room so doesn't disturb our TV viewing. If they are really planning on staying there for the long haul, I think it is worth thinking about enclosing the area (as a PP mentioned) versus putting it in the kitchen. Whichever is most ideal FOR THE LONG HAUL is what I'd do. Kitchens are just so permanent and expensive!

specialp
03-16-2015, 07:18 PM
When I was a kid our washer and dryer was in our kitchen - full open and not enclosed. It was originally in the garage but my mother had it moved to the kitchen when I was about 10. I will say the one negative, and it was a big one, is that it was a major turnoff to potential buyers when they tried to sell the house when I was in college. My stepfather eventually moved them down to the garage again and put a stand alone cabinet in its place (not even repairing the dryer vent hole area) before it sold. It just wasn't common in our area to have it in the kitchen. For that reason I wouldn't do it unless it was enclosed in a closet.

twowhat?
03-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Not unless it were enclosed in a closet/cabinet.

Our laundry is right off the kitchen/breakfast and I actually like it there because it's a busy/noisy area of the house anyway so I never have to worry about when I do the laundry, if it's too close to a bedroom and would be noisy, etc. We just shut the door when guests are here.