PDA

View Full Version : Play money recs?

twowhat?
03-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality set of play money that is very realistic?

I feel like my kids are behind in math and want to come up with some tools to help make it more interesting for them to learn...

Philly Mom
03-16-2015, 02:42 PM
So glad you asked. I was wondering the same thing!

candaceb
03-16-2015, 04:05 PM
The paper money that came with DS's Learning Resources cash register is so realistic it has fooled some adults.
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Play-Money-Smart/dp/B00I00NFFO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426536278&sr=8-2&keywords=learning+resources+money

BunnyBee
03-16-2015, 05:20 PM
This is a good game for money (price is high currently): Learning Resources - Money Bags Coin Value - Educational Board Game https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TDTQ/

We have this money set (from TJ Maxx I think a while ago): Melissa & Doug Play Money Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007OF234/

mmommy
03-16-2015, 05:54 PM
We just use actual coins. Is that bad for some reason?

twowhat?
03-16-2015, 06:18 PM

I totally plan on using actual coins (after giving them a good scrub) but bills...I don't want them to lose so many bills and I want them to be able to do some math with the bigger bills...20s. LOL.

Cam&Clay
03-16-2015, 07:26 PM
For bills, fake is good, but for coins, I highly recommend using real ones. When I taught, we always used real because the fake ones are so cheesy.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-16-2015, 07:52 PM
:yeahthat:

LOL, this is what I thought. With Nana & Papa often giving kids money when they visit, we often have coins/bills floating around the house, and kids like to count it out, stack it,etc. This morning we found out that my 5yo had $30 stashed in his Thomas bed (LOL). I probably should be more careful with it but I cannot be bothered. :bag

lizzywednesday
03-24-2015, 09:58 AM
... we often have coins/bills floating around the house, and kids like to count it out, stack it,etc. This morning we found out that my 5yo had $30 stashed in his Thomas bed (LOL). I probably should be more careful with it but I cannot be bothered. :bag

We put all money into DD's ceramic bank - bills AND coins. (Checks are immediately deposited and thank you notes written. Which reminds me - I need to send Grandma a thank you for DD's birthday present.)

She likes to feed her dinosaur.

We counted it out at New Year's, but I wasn't patient enough to teach her how to roll it. (Yes, I am old school. A lot of the commercial counting machines out there take a percentage, but if you roll it yourself, you get what you counted.)

twowhat?
03-24-2015, 10:53 AM
I don't even think I know how to roll bills!

Thanks for the rec, canadaceb! I'm going to buy it. I don't mind letting them play with real coins (and we do have coins floating around all over the house) but bills are things we (adults) actually need due to DH's and my travel (need cash for cab money, etc) and I do not need our kids hiding all of our cash, LOL! And we also tend to get large bills from the grandparents for their birthdays. Like $50. Or $100. Too risky!