PDA

View Full Version : Simple old-fashioned birthday parties?

Pinky
03-16-2015, 11:13 PM
DD is turning 5 soon and rather than having a big birthday party at one of the kid venues in town we've decided to just have small party at our home. We'll just be inviting 5 or 6 of her friends (not school friends so we don't get into having to invite the whole class). Have any of you done this recently? When I was a kid we would just play a game or two, have cake then open presents. I plan on having bottled water or juice boxes and just a few snacks.

Do any of you have suggestions for a game we could play with a small number of 5-7 year olds? I suppose we could do a simple craft instead of a game? And how does that order of events sound? (Game, cake then presents) When we've had her parties before they've been at various kid venues and we didn't open presents, but I'm thinking with a small home party we probably should.

I think I just need reassurance that in the age of super-over-the-top birthday parties it's ok to just have a simple home party with a few friends. :)

Smillow
03-16-2015, 11:26 PM
We just had a very simple home birthday party for my DS. No games even (DS is not a fan), just lots of balloons, snacks, juice boxes, pizza (the party was "after school" from 4 to 6:30), cake and lots of tearing around the house playing. Everyone had a good time & my DS was happy (because we have a small house we have had his last 2 birthday parties at chickfila) he wanted a party at his home! We made it a drop off party to give the kids as much space as possible, but a few parents (all friends) stayed.

eta: the kids asked DS to open the presents, so we did that (first time we've done that at the party).

mnj77
03-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Dd had a puppet party for her 6th birthday. 8 girls at our house. They played for a while, made wooden spoon puppets, played with the puppets, danced to ABBA, ate cake and opened presents. It was great!

How about pin the tail on the donkey. That's been a hit at some parties I've been to. Surprised me, but the kids love it.

wellyes
03-17-2015, 12:02 AM
I don't think home parties are simple - we always do a venue because it's easier!
But I am sure the kids will have a blast.
A theme might make it easier to plan.
Diesnt have to be elaborate.... Puppy party, pirate party, puppet party, etc.
That will help you pick games that kind of tie together .

Globetrotter
03-17-2015, 12:24 AM
Small parties at home are my favorite- so relaxing and enjoyable! 5-6 kids is perfect. I've even done play date parties with nothing major planned, and the kids enjoy it.

KrisM
03-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Most of our parties have been at home. They are not simple - it is a ton of effort, I think, to have the clean, decorated house, make the cake, have the snacks, have the party ready, etc. The few we've done at other places are much easier to pull off.

But, we generally have some sort of theme - invitations follow the theme, and then I try to figure out something to go with it. At 5, DS2 had a pirate theme, so I bought a bag of plastic gold coins and hid them around the back yard for a scavenger hunt of coins. Kids had fun. We always do a version of pin the tail on the donkey. That year it was pin the sword on the pirate. DD drew it for them :). When DS1 turned 5, it was a pizza party and they made their own little pizzas. One year, for someone, we did a piƱata out in the yard. It was a hit.

Kids always have fun. I do like to have some sort of a plan instead of 6 kids just running around the house. We do play some as well. I generally do the order you listed too.

mm123
03-17-2015, 06:14 AM
So far, we've only done small at-home parties for DDs, and they've been great. The best few have been 'pyjama' parties. Usually around 4-6 pm. Kids come in pj's, we do a couple of crafts (e.g., decorate pillowcases with fabric markers), play freeze dance, have breakfast for dinner (pancakes or cereal, fruit, etc), cake, and then go home. So, there's a 'theme', but doesn't involve a ton of prep. For the last one, we gave toothbrushes, mini flashlights and mini books for loot bags. Lots of fun!

klwa
03-17-2015, 06:45 AM
Is it nice enough outside where you are to just let the kids run & play? We usually do ours at the park & just let the kids run until they're worn out, then come back to the shelter for cake & ice cream.

As for games, like PP said, it's easier if there's some sort of theme. But there's always Pin the Tail on the Donkey, Duck duck GOOSE, a pinata, etc. The old school games you probably played when you were little.

Melaine
03-17-2015, 07:19 AM
We have never done a venue unless you count the park. So our parties have always been simple and at home or the park. I started doing them that way to save money but I've realized it doesn't necessarily save money and it really can be more work. But we like the old fashioned kind of party. My kids seem to mostly love just running around playing with their friends. We haven't done too much for games. I think for DS we will have a party at the park also. I'm lucky my kids birthdays are at typically nice times of year.

maestramommy
03-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Age 5 was the first year we had a party after the family part at age 1. We invited neighborhood friends. There was a very loose "theme." For example, DD1 wanted a kite flying party so we had the kids decorate their own kites that we bought at Oriental Trading post. They were a little cheesy but the kids had fun with them, and their parents were there so they had help. A few of the friends were 3 years older, so at some point Dh brought out these huge boxes we'd saved from our move, and before you know it they were cutting windows and turning them into houses, then one of the kids asked to pull our wagon (it's huge) and then they were giving the little kids a ride up and down the street. We had cake and some little snacks. The cake thing was a little more work, I made cupcakes then stuck a little stick (like a popsicle stick but thinner) into it with a kite on it. The kites were made of paper with shiny twist ties for a tail.

We've also had a pinata at all the kids' parties. Sometimes we've made one ourselves, sometimes we buy them at Target. We string it up in the garage for the duration of the party, and break it at the end. We also do some version of pin the tail on the donkey (variations are endless).

We've only done home parties, and usually there's a craft, game, pinata, another relevant activity, and cake. Fills two hours very quickly. One year we got rained out so we watched a movie (it was Aristocats theme so we watched the video with popcorn).

ang79
03-17-2015, 08:25 AM
My girls are 6 and 8 and all of their parties have been at home (or at the very small community park down the road). We usually have a theme but sometimes that has only been for the decorations. And some of them have been more work than others (DD1 is big on details, so she has had a Fairy party where I did a treasure hunt for the kids, and this past year it was an American Girl tea party, also did a treasure hunt, lots of cute miniature sized food, etc.). DD2 just likes to have friends over to play, so we start with a simple craft, do snacks (cheese cubes, crackers, fruit) and cupcakes or brownies, play a game, open presents, then let the kids run around and play til parents pick them up. A big hit at her last party was playing the Curious George Zoo Hide and Seek board game. She had a zoo themed party so I printed and cut out animal masks for each kid. They colored them when they arrived, then wore the masks for the game. One friend of hers is still talking about this game every time I see her and the party was in November! Max amount of kids we've ever had was 9, that was at the zoo party. My house isnt' huge but there is a play room in the basement so some of the kids played down there and some played in the living room and it worked out fine.

Other games they have enjoyed are musical chairs (or pillows on the floor since we didn't have enough chairs), pin the crown on the princess, and a pinata (we've only done the ribbon pulling ones, not the hitting ones). Crafts have included decorating picture frames w/ jewels and stickers, decorating wooden jewelry boxes, coloring wooden dinosaurs and animals, making beaded necklaces, etc.

wendibird22
03-17-2015, 09:09 AM
DD1 had her very first friend party this past summer for her 7th. Just 5 friends. It was a Frozen theme...as in the cake and the decorations (store bought). We did a build a snowman activity with marshmallows, did a coloring project, and did a peanut hunt (no peanut allergies with any guests). For that DH painted a few peanuts in shells red and then hid an entire bag of peanuts around the yard. The red peanuts earned you prizes (blow pops). The kids had a blast running around our yard. Think easter egg hunt. We did cake and presents too. I'm all for keeping it super simple.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2015, 09:22 AM
I like both venue parties and at home parties. I used to be firmly small and at home but it sure is nice not to have to clean the house. :)
But, we always have a theme, I research a few games, we do cake and presents. I like 1.5 hours, no more than 2. Get it done before any meltdowns or too much chaos. That applies to slightly bigger parties. I do ok with 3-4 guests but bigger than that and I get a bit overwhelmed. :).
I like planning themed at home parties. They are fun. I've been happy to see a fair number of friends doing parties like this too.

Mommy_Mea
03-17-2015, 09:24 AM
We also have only ever had home parties for the boys. I pick a loose theme ("Planes", "Race Cars", etc) do some minimal decorating and have light food (we have it in the morning, so brunch type munchies). I have a craft area set up based on the theme, and I usually only have out our toys that fit that theme (keeps the house from becoming totally littered with toys too during the party) and the kids run around and play until cake time. I have planned out a game in the past, but never done it because the kids are having so much fun playing, and I didn't want to interrupt. We only invite a small number of friends. Our house is small, plus I like really being able to hang with the parents and chat!

Mopey
03-17-2015, 10:54 AM
I am a fan of birthdays (I think having parents scary sick when you are young does that - always glad for another year and I hate when people moan about it) so we've always had a bigger party for Mopey. But our friends are like family and they are all important to us and we want to spend these times together. First birthday was a brunch/lunch with cake at my moms - family and friends and their kids but not too big. Balloons and a little running around but mainly just hanging and chatting. Last year we did a park party so we could include her daycare friends - definitely more work schlepping everything to the park, set-up, food/snacks, etc. Had a great bubble machine and sidewalk chalk - seemed to be enough. Rum punch for the adults ;) This year we are doing a Little Gym party this weekend for a few reasons: found a great coupon (venue parties here are $$$$$) and don't want to wait until I'm hugely pregnant and schlepping everything to the park in pain (SPD likely again); also, no space at home and they are all big enough for an activity/class. Ordering pizza, having milk/water, clementines and birthday cake. Two hours.

Always a big birthday cake (I can't help it! This year is two small tiers with gradated pink rosette-piped buttercream and rainbow sugar butterflies! Chocolate inside. It is fun that she's participating now - and first day of Spring birthday lends itself nicely to the cake ideas). Every year it has seemed to be fun no matter the circumstances. I think this year might be a bit more expensive but it's worth it to me. 17 kids this year - biggest by far but as I said we include everyone. I definitely look forward to having run around the backyard parties. I think it's work no matter what, just depends how much. Next year we are thinking about doing an experience (like maybe a Sesame show for her and a few friends).

Globetrotter
03-17-2015, 12:01 PM
I also think you have to consider the crowd. I would never plan a sleepover with more than two of DS's school friends at a time- they are so hyper!- but I've had ten of his family friends over with no problem.

carolinacool
03-17-2015, 12:07 PM
I think Home parties are fine. I have a friend who has only done those for her DS, who's 6. I do think it's smart to plan activities. She's never done that and it's always been more of a playdate vibe, which was fine when the kids were 2 or 3. But as they get older, I feel like she should have some activity. At 5/6, they just seem to be wondering back and forth in the backyard, but not really doing anything.

sarahsthreads
03-17-2015, 12:29 PM
I prefer simple home parties, though we've done inexpensive venue parties (bowling, rec center) a couple of times. I would plan some easy activities, though. The dynamics of a half dozen kids playing together at a party doesn't always work as well as a couple of friends over just to play. Let them have free play time, but have games like freeze dance or duck, duck goose that you can suggest if the group doesn't seem to be playing well together. Even some printed coloring sheets, or I like to cover our kitchen table with paper (the party food is all in the dining room) and let the kids color as they arrive since not everyone shows up on time.

We've done all kinds of "themes" - rainbow, puppy, monkey, outer space, polka dots, mermaid (think blue streamers hanging down from doorways and goldfish as snacks - nothing too elaborate.) I let them pick a theme (and I try to steer them away from characters, but we have done Dora, Tinkerbell and Mario) and just use it as a loose guide for colors, favors, etc.

DD2 (turning 7 this summer) wants a Lego themed party. Primary colored party ware, some sort of DIY pin the pants on the lego dude game (from the Lego movie, "honey, where are my paaaants?"), some free-build with legos, cake and presents. Super simple, and absolutely guaranteed to be a huge hit with the guests. My kind of party! :)

Sarah :)

California
03-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Our top two favorite, easy games:
Everyone-wins musical chairs: Nobody gets out. Instead, as you slowly remove chairs they have to squeeze into the ones that are left, until all the kids are trying to sit in one chair. This is a regular party favorite.
Balloons and music: So simple, and always a hit. We keep a couple of bags of balloons hidden in our garage and then pull it out just for this part. Kids dance, try to keep the balloons in the air... that's it.

We usually have some sort of themed craft. Sometimes there will be one kid who feels like the odd one out, and getting them all working on the craft make sure every kid feels included.

rlu
03-17-2015, 01:01 PM
When DS was little we had his parties at the local park. We would set up a ball-toss, frisbee, similar, and the kids would also play on the equipment. Play, cake, not open presents. I suppose at a home party you could open presents, at that age I think many of the parties the kids did.

elephantmeg
03-17-2015, 01:51 PM
we do home parties every year. Generally we do combined parties with about 15 kids in total (we have some cousins and family friends who have to be invited and then each kid has 2-3 school friends that come). The hits game wise this year were pin the x on the y (DD was pin the cutie mark on the pony, DS was pin the TNT on the creeper-I had to make that one on a poster board!) and the pinata. The other games were a dud. Last year it was nice outside and we drug out balls, bats, etc and let kids go wild outside a while-it was the first nice day in a long time. This year we had snow on the ground and had to do it all inside. The boys this year were in the 8ish range and the theme was minecraft and I had some of the block animal mods out for them to make and that was awesome. The girls were 7ish and her theme was my little pony and I had temp tatoos, sparkle nailpolish and colored hair extentions for them and coloring sheets (I wish I had had boy coloring sheets!). But the biggest hit was a tote filled with birdseed and then a ton of junk from amazon-fake coins, gems, rings. EVERY kid loved it. I had figured out how many each kid could take and wrote in on a paper and provided labeled bags for them. LOVED IT. We had applesauce pouches, cheese and crackers, a rainbow fruit platter (my little pony!) party mix thing from costco and then DD had vanilla cupcakes with strawberry icing and lots of sprinkles/sugar/candies and my little pony toppers and DS had a chocolate cake cut up to look like minecraft world with rice crispy treats etc. The kids LOVE our home parties. They love helping me decorate and plan it and draw the posters. It's a lot of fun. I think they feel sorry for their friends who have venue parties!

Oh and we ended up doing impromptu hot potato batting around regular balloons at the end! I just cut down the ones that I had hanging up and let them go to town!

Mopey
03-17-2015, 02:17 PM
I forgot to add we have never opened presents and I don't think we ever will. I am not a fan (barely wanted to at my bridal and baby showers - so awkward!) and I worry about Mopey's reaction if she doesn't like something. Also have never been to a party where presents are opened. Guess that's my area.

daisysmom
03-17-2015, 02:35 PM
We always have a big Christmas party- this year was 100 adults and 35 kids. We also generally have a superbowl party and an ACC tourney party that kids come to. So when my DD's early spring birthday comes around, I generally don't want to do another home party b/c it really is a lot of work to get the house organized, decluttered, etc. But last year we did one, 20 kids for a Frozen watching party. It was fun, but much more work than at a venue IMO. I don't have a problem with kids running all over the house, but there is a level of clean up before and after which takes a lot of time.

When DD was 1-4, all of her birthday parties were at home.

daisysmom
03-17-2015, 02:36 PM
I forgot to add we have never opened presents and I don't think we ever will. I am not a fan (barely wanted to at my bridal and baby showers - so awkward!) and I worry about Mopey's reaction if she doesn't like something. Also have never been to a party where presents are opened. Guess that's my area.

We don't open presents at our parties either - and I didn't at showers. It is not the norm where we live.

twowhat?
03-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Didn't read replies but totally do it!!! With only 5-6 girls, it will be an awesome party! I don't think you need any entertainment...just access to the playroom:) Let them play, eat a meal/snack, open gifts, and do cake. Done!!

Every home party I've been to has been laid back like this. No real entertainment, just hang out with friends.

Mopey
03-17-2015, 02:47 PM
We don't open presents at our parties either - and I didn't at showers. It is not the norm where we live.

I would have loved to be in your area - opening was excruciating (and I'm naturally slow at it) and when I said I might not want to my fam looked at me like I was the devil! A crazy devil ;)

ETA: I was also able to veto presents before she saw them and donate them. Don't know if anyone will think that's awful but it wasn't anything sentimental from close friends or family. I think there's been a lot of re-gifting at times.

meggie t
03-17-2015, 03:06 PM
I didn't read all the responses, so I might be repeating! We did a home party for our 4 year old last year, and plan on doing the same this year. It was great! I was nervous at first but it worked out so well. I would definitely put a start and end time on the invite (I did 10a-11:30a). I had all these games planned (more than I figured necessary but I didn't want there to be a lull) and we didn't even get to play one game! The kids came in (7 kids), all went into the playroom and played for 1/2 hour. Wasn't expecting that but was so happy I go to mingle with the parents. Then we did spin art. I bought this machine from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cra-Z-Art-Magic-Spinning-Art-Machine/dp/B0037UV0RM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426618841&sr=8-3&keywords=spin+art (it was the cheapest one - just make sure to test it before the party to make sure it works!). I also bought the Crayola washable paint. I cut some paper ahead of time . We all gathered around the kitchen table and each child took a turn. They loved it! They loved watching as much as doing it. Once that was done, we went into the living room, where I had put a tablecloth on the floor. The kids sat around the cloth and decorated their own cupcakes. We sang happy birthday and they ate their cupcakes. Then we had a pinata (one with strings hanging down instead of using a bat, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Unique-66264-Thomas-Pinata-Pop-Out/dp/B004OY8KTQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426619068&sr=8-2&keywords=thomas+pinata) and the party was over. We didn't open gifts.

For food I had a fruit platter, mini sandwiches and mini bagels. Coffee/water and juice boxes. Kids didn't eat anything. This year I'll just do fruit and bagels - mini sandwiches weren't necessary.

It was super easy and fun. And definitely cheaper than a venue.

MamaMolly
03-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Maybe it is my kid's ages but lately I find that home parties are easier and more fun for me. I'm just not a fan of venues, even if they do clean. ;)

Favorite home party game: Pass the parcel. I buy a small inexpensive gift for each guest (like those wash cloths that expand in water, light up pens, cute stuff) and wrap each one in layers of different colored tissue paper. Each gift gets it's own color and they are wrapped like an onion, layers of paper and gift, one on top of the other. Then I play music and they play hot potato, and who ever it stops on gets to open that layer and get that gift. They can ask to swap prizes at the end but do not have to swap if they don't want to. (I prep my girls to be ready and willing to swap, just in case)

Pin the X on the Y. (fill in the blanks with your theme) Everyone gets to choose a little prize but the closest winner gets a bigger one.

I agree that choosing a theme makes it a lot easier to plan. I get colored party table wear and mylar balloons at the Dollar Store.

Consider the ages and personalities of the invitees. I made a mistake and (at Lula's request) invited a 10 yo friend from church to Lula's 8th birthday. He is a bit of a handful on good days, but he was bored and behaved badly. Having learned my lesson, I'm only letting Dolly invite the girls from her preschool class to her party, maybe a couple of same age friends from church. Otherwise it's too much.

gatorsmom
03-17-2015, 07:02 PM
It was fun, but much more work than at a venue IMO. I don't have a problem with kids running all over the house, but there is a level of clean up before and after which takes a lot of time.

When DD was 1-4, all of her birthday parties were at home.

We did at home parties til my oldest two boys were 4 and 6yo. Then the next year we were moving and I wanted to make it easier so we did Chuck E Cheese (which I had always swore I would not do). Wow was I surprised how much easier it was! And all the kids raved about it. I still did some at home parties after that with themes- Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Princess tea party, etc., but it was always a lot more work. Granted, I had fun getting ready for the parties and maybe didn't need to go as crazy as I did, but with a venue you can walk out of your messy house, show up, party and then come home. Soooo much easier.

weech
03-17-2015, 07:29 PM
We're having an at-home party for DS's 5th in a few weeks. It's Super Mario Brothers themed and we're going to let the kids play Wii for a while, eat snacks and then decorate cupcakes. I'm making the decorations myself. I think it'll be good. I've noticed that sometimes DS is a little... out of his element when we're not at home. I'm thinking he'll enjoy himself more this time around!

Pinky
03-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies and great ideas!