PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite, non-kcup, coffee?

trcy
03-17-2015, 07:02 AM
After reading too many articles on yahoo about the huge negative impacts on our environment, I am going to give up kcups. In exchange for the extra time my coffee is going to take me each morning, I want really good coffee :). I like dark, strong coffee, almost bitter...if that makes sense. I currently drink Sam's Club brand Columbian kcups, which is ok....but I can do better. So hit me with your favorites. TIA!

JBaxter
03-17-2015, 07:54 AM
I switched to SanFrancisco bay biodegradable k-cups a year or so ago Love my ease of the Keurig and I have no guilt now. I do fog chaser or french roast usually depends on what is on sale at amazon

http://www.sanfranciscobaycoffee.com/index.php/bio-degradable-onecup-launches/

ang79
03-17-2015, 08:16 AM
I switched to SanFrancisco bay biodegradable k-cups a year or so ago Love my ease of the Keurig and I have no guilt now. I do fog chaser or french roast usually depends on what is on sale at amazon

http://www.sanfranciscobaycoffee.com/index.php/bio-degradable-onecup-launches/

I've always wondered about these, as they sell them at BJ's in bulk for really cheap.

OP, have you tried the reusable k-cup inserts in your Keurig? I have a Solo Fill, got it on Amazon but I think they sell them at Bed Bath Beyond too (or a similar brand). Then you can fill with your own grinds and not worry about the trash from the kcups. Just takes a minute more to scoop the coffee into the insert and they rinse out easily. Just be careful not to overfill the insert or then coffee squirts out everywhere.

JBaxter
03-17-2015, 08:20 AM
I've always wondered about these, as they sell them at BJ's in bulk for really cheap.

OP, have you tried the reusable k-cup inserts in your Keurig? I have a Solo Fill, got it on Amazon but I think they sell them at Bed Bath Beyond too (or a similar brand). Then you can fill with your own grinds and not worry about the trash from the kcups. Just takes a minute more to scoop the coffee into the insert and they rinse out easily. Just be careful not to overfill the insert or then coffee squirts out everywhere.

I have 4 of those for rotation I HATE dumping those things but when Im out of K cups I use them Ang79 they work well I got the variety box last time I have a french press if Im in a "mood"

jawilli4
03-17-2015, 08:25 AM
I switched from kcups a few years ago when they went way up in price. I know you didn't ask this, but I ended up buying an Aeropress (http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top). Like a Keurig, you can only make one cup of coffee at a time, which is fine for me. I think it makes amazing coffee. It takes me less than four minutes to heat water, make coffee, and clean up. I love strong, dark coffee and am currently in love with Pete's House Blend coffee. Good luck! There is happiness after life with a Keurig.

trcy
03-17-2015, 08:29 AM

http://www.sanfranciscobaycoffee.com/index.php/bio-degradable-onecup-launches/hmm, not heard of these before. Thanks!

This is my plan. Just looking for really good coffee to use with it :)

ang79
03-17-2015, 08:35 AM
hmm, not heard of these before. Thanks!

This is my plan. Just looking for really good coffee to use with it :)

Let me know what you find! I'm not too picky about my coffee so usually just grab what is on sale at Target of if I have a coupon (their Archer Farms brand). The coffee with the filter may taste a bit weaker so I try to buy one that says bold flavor or roast, that seems to help.

TwoBees
03-17-2015, 08:46 AM
I absolutely love Green Mountain French Vanilla Iced Coffee kcups, but I would love to nice away from kcups as well for environmental reasons. I don't want to give up my Keurig though. Anyone know of a coffee that I could use in one of the reusable cups that would taste the same or similar?

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2015, 08:48 AM
I usually buy from a local roaster. It is so good and they roast and sell within 2 days. But, in a pinch, Trader Joe's has some ok choices.

candaceb
03-17-2015, 09:19 AM
I have the Ekobrew stainless reusable filters and use them with Peet's House Blend (from Target). I tried the plastic Ekobrews and they started to get deformed from the heat, which got me concerned about chemicals coming out of the plastic with the heat... the stainless solved the problem and we use the plastic ones as backup when someone has been too lazy to clean the stainless ones the night before. We each only have one cup a day so it's no big deal to clean them in general - we just do it with the dishes after dinner.

MMMommy
03-17-2015, 09:51 AM
DH swears this he makes this makes the best coffee:
http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Glass-Stovetop-Coffee-Siphon/dp/B002CVTKW4

He likes darker, stronger roasts too, and loves Costco's Kirkland Sumatra or Rwanda. He fresh grinds every morning.

zukeypur
03-17-2015, 10:40 AM
I buy a huge bag of Starbucks French Roast from Costco.

Mopey
03-17-2015, 11:06 AM
I buy Cafe Bustelo (or El Pico) espresso at Costco and I use an aluminum Italian stove top Bialetti. I like really strong coffee and it makes about two cups which works. We make another in the afternoon sometimes. I just use less coffee and drink less while I'm pregnant.

essnce629
03-17-2015, 01:45 PM
I switched from kcups a few years ago when they went way up in price. I know you didn't ask this, but I ended up buying an Aeropress (http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top). Like a Keurig, you can only make one cup of coffee at a time, which is fine for me. I think it makes amazing coffee. It takes me less than four minutes to heat water, make coffee, and clean up. I love strong, dark coffee and am currently in love with Pete's House Blend coffee. Good luck! There is happiness after life with a Keurig.
I use an Aeropress too and use either Illy espresso or the Ikea espresso which are surprisingly VERY similar in taste. The Illy is $15 a bag and the Ikea is $5 a bag so I only buy Illy now when I've ran out of my Ikea espresso. I make cappuccino though, not regular coffee.