PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Giving Notice

Raidra
03-18-2015, 05:56 PM
I have to give my two weeks notice either tomorrow or Friday. The problem is, my boss isn't in tomorrow, and I'm not in on Friday. I could maybe, possibly make a trip into work to see her on Friday, but it's not ideal timing for her, and would most likely leave me really run down (long story). How bad is it to give my notice over the phone?

If it matters, this is a part-time marketing rep job, where most of the employees are college students, and they have a relatively high turn-over.

Thanks!

pinkmomagain
03-18-2015, 07:00 PM
I don't think it's horrible -- given the type of job (high turn-over/part-time) and the fact that you are offering two weeks notice. I would think college students are not always that responsible. I would, however, certainly express your regrets that you could not do it in person, as you would've liked.

Liziz
03-18-2015, 09:46 PM
I'd do it Friday -- I'd do it over the phone, then email your boss right after with a written resignation. It's obviously not ideal, but I think it's better to give the notice on time than to give less than 2 weeks. I'd just express apologies it couldn't be in person.

MamaMolly
03-19-2015, 07:48 AM
I'd do it Friday, but I'd also expect to be told not to come back. I always thought 2 weeks notice was the correct way to resign a position but IME they don't want the liability of you hanging around to potentially make mischief for two weeks.

hillview
03-19-2015, 08:27 AM
I'd do it Friday -- I'd do it over the phone, then email your boss right after with a written resignation. It's obviously not ideal, but I think it's better to give the notice on time than to give less than 2 weeks. I'd just express apologies it couldn't be in person.

I'd do it Friday, but I'd also expect to be told not to come back. I always thought 2 weeks notice was the correct way to resign a position but IME they don't want the liability of you hanging around to potentially make mischief for two weeks.
agree with both of the above