PDA

View Full Version : Recs for earrings for DD with sensitive ears please

WitMom
03-19-2015, 07:48 AM
DD1 is 10 yo and had her ears pierced for her birthday in November. As long as she keeps the earrings that were used for the piercing in, her ears are generally fine. As soon as we change them, even for a day, her ears get gunky and oozy (sorry TMI, I know). Does anyone have suggestions of earrings that might work for her? I don't want to spend a ton, because what she likes now when she is 10 yo is likely to change several times over the next few years (or even overnight lol), but I do want something she can actually wear- so if it costs a bit more than Target (etc), that's fine. TIA.

brittone2
03-19-2015, 08:39 AM
DD1 is 10 yo and had her ears pierced for her birthday in November. As long as she keeps the earrings that were used for the piercing in, her ears are generally fine. As soon as we change them, even for a day, her ears get gunky and oozy (sorry TMI, I know). Does anyone have suggestions of earrings that might work for her? I don't want to spend a ton, because what she likes now when she is 10 yo is likely to change several times over the next few years (or even overnight lol), but I do want something she can actually wear- so if it costs a bit more than Target (etc), that's fine. TIA.

DD had hers pierced for her 8th bday in Dec and is still wearing the implant-grade titanium ones used at the time of her piercing. I'm nickel sensitive, as is my mother and my niece, so I've been delaying on switching to anything else. Hers have healed very well, but periodically she gets a little stress on that area (hair caught, hat rubbed it in the snow a few weeks ago, etc.) and we go back to spraying with saline spray for a few days. She really wants new ones, but I am concerned we will run into issues. Hers are a style where the fronts can be changed while the post remains in place, so we may go that route. It involves buying from the piercing shop though, and they are pricey.

wendibird22
03-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Have you tried nickel free or real gold? My mom has sensitive ears and does best with real gold posts but can do nickel free as well.

ang79
03-19-2015, 11:03 AM
I had that problem as a kid too :( My mom first switched to 14K gold earrings for me, then we used hypo allergenic ones made be Whisper, the website below may be the same company. I just remember getting catalogs in the mail and it was a mail order thing. She let me pick out a few pairs of simple studs (gold balls, birthstone, etc.) and I used those for a while, but my ears didn't completely heal up, so eventually I just stopped wearing earrings. I think I got them pierced in third grade and tried earrings for maybe a year before I gave up. Then, in 6th grade I discovered that my holes hadn't closed up like I thought and one day when I was bored in school I borrowed a friends cheapy earrings from Claire's and poked them right through my ears and have been wearing cheap stuff ever since. I shudder to think how gross that was, borrowing my friends earrings that hadn't been sterilized or anything, but thankfully no infections came from it! No idea why my ears were suddenly OK with regular earrings after that either. My mom thought that they were just easily irritated when I was younger from me bumping them, sleeping on them, picking at them, catching them in a hairbrush, etc. and never fully healed til I gave them a long break.

http://www.simplywhispers.com/

nfceagles
03-19-2015, 11:11 AM
I've seen earrings at Kohls labeled "Nickel Free" that weren't terribly expensive. I stick to real gold or platinum jewelry now, but as a kid I was occasionally able to find all plastic earrings and those didn't bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
03-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Have you tried nickel free or real gold? My mom has sensitive ears and does best with real gold posts but can do nickel free as well.

:yeahthat:

I had the same issue - severe gunk and crusties following the use of mystery metal earrings/posts - following my first ear-piercing at 8 yrs old.

It was so bad/painful, I had to let the holes close up and have them re-done when I was 9 or 10.

The second time 'round, I only wore gold posts. Today, I can tolerate surgical steel, but prefer to look for nickel free just in case.