PDA

View Full Version : Sad news, but new puppy Name Game!

jse107
03-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Tomorrow afternoon we're putting down our 13.5 year-old yellow lab, Ripley. We have adored him and he's been an amazing family companion. Although we're sad, we know that we're doing what's best for him tomorrow, as he cannot enjoy life the way a dog should and there's concern that he's in pretty significant pain.

We will struggle with an empty house for a couple months, but already have a deposit down on a yellow lab puppy that will come home to us in early June. We need name help. Feel free to suggest something not on my poll. Kids are anxious to decide on a name, I think because it helps it seem more real to them. Right now, kids favorite is Scout.

daisysmom
03-19-2015, 12:07 PM
We are close behind you with a 13.5 (turned that on the 11th last week) female yellow lab. So I wanted to just offer a hug. I will tell our Daisy to look for Ripley across the Rainbow Bridge :) I hope your family has lots of happy memories to remember over the next while. We too are on the list for a new dog, and we will probably also have the same break period that you are having. Just enough time to get up all the dog hair. Just think... .soon you will have little puppy teeth to find on the carpet :)
I love all of your names, so am not going to vote. But I will tell you that my best friend from childhood had a yellow lab named Whiskey and a black lab named Soda. Those dogs were the basis for me getting labs. I think Whiskey is just an awesome name, and if you do go with it, I know you will love it, as everyone who ever met my friend's dogs remarked on how great their names were. I also know a dog named Sawyer in our life now and he too is a great dog. I am parial to 2 syllabyl dog names for some reason.... not sure why (my human name and my DH's name are not 2 syllabyl). I really lika all of your names.
Good luck and Godspeed to sweet Ripley. We may just take his name if we get a male :)

Sweetsunshine
03-19-2015, 01:21 PM
So sorry to hear about Ripley I'm sure you're heartbroken! I voted for Sawyer and Cooper. That is a great list it was hard to choose. I also love Winston for a boy dog.

Indianamom2
03-19-2015, 01:27 PM
So sorry about your sweet Ripley. I had to make the same decision for two of our cats last year (both with us at least 13 years) and while it was hard, it was the right thing to do for them.

I couldn't decide, but I like in no particular order, Cooper, Indiana (Indy) and Winston. We almost named our newest kitty Winston just because it made us laugh every time we said it. (I know, we're nuts!)

jse107
03-19-2015, 01:31 PM
I love Winston too and, in fact, when we got Ripley we almost named him that!

JBaxter
03-19-2015, 01:41 PM
I voted but I can never name a pet until I see it. Some just dont "look" like a certain name.

khalloc
03-19-2015, 02:18 PM
We lost our 12.5 year old black lab in September (we had to put him down due to oral melanoma) and we got a puppy a few weeks later. It was a positive experience for my family. I would have spent alot more time being sad about my old dog if we didnt have the puppy to look forward to. Good luck! I wanted to name our new puppy Seamus, but we ended up with a girl and her name is Juno.

Mopey
03-19-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm so sorry for your impending loss, and I really commend you on taking such great care of your dog. I know a great, sweet girl who will be able to show Ripley all around doggie heaven ;)

I voted for Clooney just cuz it made me laugh :D But if the kids like Scout that's adorable too!

citymama
03-19-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry about Ripley. It is such a hard thing, but it sounds like you had a long time together and he led a happy life. So many lessons in this for your children - dogs teach us so much in life as well as death.

I find it impossible to name a dog something that doesn't end in a vowel, preferably an "-ey" sound. So I voted for Whiskey. If I had a Scout, I would call him "Scoutey" - it's just the way I am! Your kids should get to name the pup, but maybe wait till you actually see him to name him? It's kind of like babies in utero, you can have a running favorite but wait to name until you are holding the baby. So exciting!

mikala
03-19-2015, 04:18 PM
One of my friends has a lab named Dozer and its perfect for him because he's usually either snoozing or bouncing around and knocking things over. I also like Sawyer and Cooper.

jse107
03-20-2015, 09:06 AM
I find it impossible to name a dog something that doesn't end in a vowel, preferably an "-ey" sound. So I voted for Whiskey. If I had a Scout, I would call him "Scoutey" - it's just the way I am!

That's pretty much the only thing holding me back from that name! (I would get over it if that's what we choose, but my thinking is like yours.)