PDA

View Full Version : Have you used medication to delay the onset of your period?

brittone2
03-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Quick question. DH and I haven't had a trip away from the kids in 11 years of parenting. We've had them scheduled, but we've had kids get sick, DH's dad passed away, etc. and every single time it falls through :( In any case, my period is not on time. I have PCOS and I generally have pretty regular but longish cycles (37 days or so). Of course my period is a little late, and if it doesn't start today or tomorrow, I will have an issue when we are away. I will do a HPT before taking any meds, but I do have a long cycle now and again, so I highly doubt I am pg. Just bad timing for a long cycle :/

I am going to call my midwife when they get in later this morning. I don't take BCP any longer and I don't think I'd have enough time if I started for it to delay my period. It looks like norethindrone or norethisterone a few days before my period would start may be an option, but most sites mentioning norethisterone are centered in the UK.

Has anyone had success with the mini pill/norethindrone RX just a few days before?

barkley1
03-23-2015, 09:15 AM
When we went to disney last year, I took bcp and it delayed it a few days. I was supposed to start on Saturday, started taking the pill Tuesday, and it delayed it by 3 days - good enough. I think it would have worked better if I had started taking it earlier, of course. I just called the gyn and they put a free sample pack of pills at the desk for me to pick up. Easy!

brittone2
03-23-2015, 10:00 AM
When we went to disney last year, I took bcp and it delayed it a few days. I was supposed to start on Saturday, started taking the pill Tuesday, and it delayed it by 3 days - good enough. I think it would have worked better if I had started taking it earlier, of course. I just called the gyn and they put a free sample pack of pills at the desk for me to pick up. Easy!
So you weren't taking it in advance, just right before you expected to start, correct? Interesting. They come on at 10 so I will ask. I don't know when I "would" start since I'm overdue for a period anyway. If I started regular bcp and it only delayed me a few days that wouldn't really help as I'd hit the dates we'll be away anyway. Supposedly with the mini pill (I think that's what norethindrone is essentially?) if you start a few days before your period, you should theoretically not start your period until after you stop taking them. I've used progesterone in the form of prometrium to induce a period via progesterone withdrawal before, so I'm familiar with that, but haven't done the minipill to hold off an expected period. It seems like you can still have spotting and breakthrough bleeding with the norethindrone option.

barkley1
03-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Right- I wasn't taking anything on a regular basis for bc. When I did start, it was lighter and shorter, which was great bc it I didn't render me useless w fatigue, aches, pain and irritability like my usual period. Not good for Disney World, haha!

brittone2
03-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Right- I wasn't taking anything on a regular basis for bc. When I did start, it was lighter and shorter, which was great bc it I didn't render me useless w fatigue, aches, pain and irritability like my usual period. Not good for Disney World, haha!

Yeah, shorter/lighter would potentially help things but now timing is getting tricky. I typically spot for maybe 2-3 days after which doesn't help. I left a message with the office and am waiting on a call back to see if they will call something in for me.

When I used to have induce a period, I did better with prometrium than provera. I have taken the morning after pill once before when we had a condom fail. I'm a little worried I'll now be bloated and cranky and maybe headachey (I used to get the occasional migraine on bcp; haven't had a serious one since stopping 12 years ago or put up with having my period. Neither sounds appealing LOL.

zukeypur
03-23-2015, 11:05 AM
I haven't used it to delay onset, but i do take lo-ogestrel continuously (skip placebo) to avoid having a monthly period. I take a 4 day break every 4 months or so to have a quick period, but i get to determine when i do it.

almostmom
03-23-2015, 11:07 AM
not your situation, but I am on the pill and when I have wanted to delay it I start my next pack instead of taking the placebos. My period doesn't start until I stop taking them, usually I postpone it a week.

brittone2
03-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Yes, had I known in advance this cycle would be an outlier, I could have started bcp in enough time. Now I'm up against balancing and seeing if it comes in the next day or two (by the time we are away I would be done with bleeding and possibly done spotting if it did) or starting something asap if they'll call in a RX and *hoping* it works. It seems like regular bcp aren't much of an option this late in the game for me.

I appreciate the input so far. Still waiting for an eventual call, but that could be all day.

brittone2
03-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Well, the nurse practitioner called and wasn't very familiar with the option of using a progesterone based pill beforehand to hold off on a period. She's going to look into it or possibly speak to their backup doctor and get back to me tomorrow. It might be too late by then. Bummer. My usual mw is not in the office and is on vacation.

AnnieW625
03-23-2015, 02:33 PM
I took the mini pill after having both of my kids starting at 6 weeks or so, and with DD1 I got my period back like clockwork at the beginning of the 4th week of pills. With DD2 I had a completely different experience, I took the mini pill until she was 3 months old and no period. I didn't renew it because I knew DH was having a vasectomy a week or so later, and I didn't get my period back until she was 5 months old and I had been off the mini pill for almost 2 months.

indigo99
03-23-2015, 02:48 PM
I would let it start and then start taking the pills so that it would end sooner. At this point, I think you'd be more successful at shortening it than holding it off altogether. It all depends on how sensitive you are to the hormones. I can't prevent mine even if I take the pill non-stop, but I can make it shorter and lighter.

brittone2
03-23-2015, 03:27 PM
I would let it start and then start taking the pills so that it would end sooner. At this point, I think you'd be more successful at shortening it than holding it off altogether. It all depends on how sensitive you are to the hormones. I can't prevent mine even if I take the pill non-stop, but I can make it shorter and lighter.

Well, given how pcos always throws curveballs, I am not sure when I will start. If I knew I could start in the next few days I might be able to get it over with, but at this point, it could be that I start a week from now. I did confirm with a HPT that I am not pg; I was sure I was not but good to confirm. Bummer that this isn't working out :( The norethindrone directions online basically say you take it starting a few days prior to the start of your period, and then it should hold off your period until you stop taking them (breakthrough bleeding or spotting is possible, however). Unlike using combined BCP, you don't need to start way beforehand. Just a few days would do it. It seems more commonly used in the UK though than in the US.

essnce629
03-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Read the reviews on Nature's Way yarrow flower capsules on Amazon. They will prevent or greatly lighten your period. My period is due in the middle of our spring break Mexico trip and I plan on taking them to delay my period. Birth control pills never stopped my period and definitely not the mini pill which I took for 5 years after having DS2 (period still came back at 5 weeks postpartum). I recommended the yarrow capsules for my best friend to take during her period to lighten it, but instead she took them before her period was due and then it never came! She called me when it was 4 days late and said she was taking 10 capsules a day (which I wouldn't recommend, just follow the serving size) ! I told her to stop taking them if she wanted her period to come and sure enough it started the day after she stopped the yarrow. I already have my bottle ready to go for my trip!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012NNR86/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_jIkevb077HG8M