PDA

View Full Version : Kids with ADHD and homework. Any tips so I don't lose it?

smilequeen
03-27-2015, 10:15 AM
My 2nd grader has ADHD Inattentive type. He's on focalin and it works like a charm for school. He picks activities and sports that are fast moving and keep him interested. But we still struggle with things like morning routine, bedtime routine. I have plans for those. But the homework is making me CRAZY!

He only gets about 15 minutes of homework every night. One practice sheet for language (or spelling words to study...which is my favorite because he's great with that) and one or two pages in his Singapore Math workbook. He does his reading just fine, usually in the car. But those 15 minutes of homework can be a major issue. If he can't get it done right after school...which, with 3 kids and busy schedules just can't always happen...that 15 minutes can take an hour or more.

He has to be with me (or DH if he's home), no distractions...the TV can't be on in the next room. I have to try to keep my 4 year old out of the room, etc. But it can still take FOR.freaking.EVER.

I've been alone at night all week and last night I kind of lost it. I apologized to him, and I know it's not his fault, but aside from doing an extra dose of meds after school has anyone found anything that works?

My oldest thankfully does his homework with zero help or reminders. He's a completely different kid and it's a blessing I suppose that I only have to sit down and do homework with one kid. But I also know that I have one more year of this sort of light homework in 3rd grade. 4th grade ups the amount quite a bit. Thank God my youngest won't have homework until 2nd grade. DS2 will be in 6th grade by then!

sste
03-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Smile queen no adhd testing on my son and I don't think he is at least not significantly. However I have to get a lot of work out of him well over 10 hours per day including school. I chunk tasks into smaller pieces. So I would do the 10 minute segment in the evening and the five minute segment in the morning or after school. I have large sand timers -- you can buy five minute and ten minute ones from lakeshore learning. The deal is that if he works intensively and in a focused way then when the sand runs out we are done even if we didn't complete whatever. If not I will reset the timer. I only reset once. I then also couple it with rewards. So after school I would say lets do the five minute worksheet with the timer and when you are done I will set you up with 15 minutes of your video game. So "dessert" after so to speak! For DS's tutoring and therapy I have a reward system based on playmobil figurines and their weaponry and accessories. Ds loves the Egyptian soldiers and the samurais. fortunately we are not in Waldorf! I have to go with what is highly motivating to him.

I also explain the benefits of doing x work and we reflect often together on how he has seen his hard work pay off this year. Hth Even though not adhd specific.

hillview
03-27-2015, 10:43 AM
can you hire a high schooler or jr high schooler for an hour to help him? I think you have to find a time when you are not doing 5 other things and when the 4 year old isn't around. I'd also consider trying some sort of reward to jump start things. DS2 is in a similar boat and we do his homework in the morning before school after DH and DS1 leave -- I'd say if mornings are an option consider that as kiddos can often be fresher

pastrygirl
03-27-2015, 12:47 PM
I got very lucky in that my son's meds still work for afterschool/homework time. I want to cry tears of joy every day, believe me!!

He goes to afterschool sometimes, and has to finish his homework there. I love those days, and plan to start sending him once a week.

Mikey0709
03-27-2015, 01:28 PM
I am right there with you. I could have wrote your post. We are in 4th now - but have dealt with this for YEARS.

My only advice is to get on it AS EARLY as possible. For us, it gets worse at the night goes on. NEVER gets easier.

We have had some night so horrible, we quit and try in the morning.... and start fresh. That usually works in extreme cases, but needs planning for extra time in the morning. THOUGH - sometimes a task that can take an hour at night, takes 10 minutes in the morning.

My thoughts are with you :)

egoldber
03-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Can he just do it in the morning? I know that I sometimes have to do that with my ADHD kid. If it gets to be too late, it just isn't worth it. But she knows that if she doesn't get it done that night, it will have to be done in the morning.

HIU8
03-29-2015, 09:26 PM
My DS takes a booster around 2 pm. Originally it was because of the bad rebound he was experiencing (crashing from the long acting med). I've noticed that it really helps with homework though, and he comes down much easier off the meds each day. It normally has worn off by 6 pm. The rule in our house is that DS has to do homework immediately (no long breaks when he gets home) or the 5 minutes of work he gets can take 2 hours. He is pretty good about this because he knows the struggle it can be. FWIW, I can relate to the morning issues (as DS wakes up not able to gather himself for a LONG time). So doing homework in the AM didn't work for us (although I would not write it off before trying it).

gatorsmom
04-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Can you feed him his dinner first and then do his homework after? Maybe he'll be more calm on a full tank> I was also going to suggest doing it first thing in the morning. I know my kids sometimes do much better then. Can you make tiny goals like, "if you do this row of math facts I'll give you 2 minutes with on the ipad?" You could also offer 2 minutes of his favorite show, game, etc. I do this with DS3 and I set the timer on my phone. I make sure it rings loud enough and I don't turn off the alarm until he puts the ipad down and picks up his pencil. and then I take the ipad away. 1 minute isn't long and never fail, after 2 or 3 rows of problems he finishes the sheet in an effort to get the ipad for 6 or 7 minutes straight. It works with our spelling words too. Or you could try an incentives chart. If he gets his homework done in 20 minutes he gets a star. After 3 stars he gets a new ipad game or a lego toy or something. Keep doing this and it might just get him in to the habit of working quickly (it worked for 2 of my kids).