PDA

View Full Version : Poll (TMI?): Ob/GYN yearly checks

megs4413
04-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Does your doc check your...ahem...posterior for polyps during your annual GYN exam? I have a friend who just went for her post partum check and she described how uncomfortable that part of the process made her and I was like, "WTHeck are you talking about?" I have never had a doctor insert a finger into my rectum during a GYN exam. I have probably seen 6 different OB/Gyns in my day and am faithful about getting my yearlies, but this has NEVER been a part of it. My friend is now convinced that I need to go in and have a check done because I may have cancer growing unchecked. She insists that all 'good' doctors do this as part of a routine yearly exam. I think she's crazy. Who is right? Does your Gyn do this at your checkups?

scrooks
04-03-2015, 02:29 PM
I have never been examined that way either and I have probably been to 1/2 a dozen gynecologist in my life.

JBaxter
04-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Yes In my adult years 3 different OB/Gyn groups and my current Primary care doc all does a rectal exam of that type. I thought it was just what was done w/ the gyn exam. I'd probably ask if it wasnt.

wendibird22
04-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Nope, never had that done. Been seeing an OB/GYN practice for an annual since my teen years and I've had a variety of different docs, PAs, and CNMs at that practice depending on who delivered me (the delivering doc wants to do the postpartum check ups) or who has been available on the date/time I want. I had a full physical with an MD 5yr ago and that wasn't part of that exam either.

Katigre
04-03-2015, 02:44 PM
http://m.cancer.org/cancer/analcancer/overviewguide/anal-cancer-overview-diagnosed

I've never heard of it before but it makes sense since you can get anal cancer from HPV.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AngB
04-03-2015, 03:58 PM
I have never been examined that way either and I have probably been to 1/2 a dozen gynecologist in my life.

:yeahthat:

We moved 4x in 4 years while DH was in the military plus I've seen 3 different ob/gyns here, so easily 7 different docs in different states plus military/out of the country. Have never had that either and just fine with missing out on it.

gymnbomb
04-03-2015, 04:15 PM
I have been to at least 7-8 different providers (OBs, NPs, and a CNM) at 4 different places for annual exams and none has ever done a rectal exam. Only time anything has ever been inserted there was the little swab for GBS when I was pregnant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovin2shop
04-03-2015, 04:49 PM
I've been to 4 different OBGYN's, 2 out of the 4 do this exam. I am glad actually, as a positive test required me to do a colonoscopy and I had a precancerous polyp removed. I was annoyed at the time because I thought for sure it was just a hemorrhoid, but now very glad to have had the polyp removed.

daisysmom
04-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Yes, my first gyn did it and the gyn I use now does it too. I thought it was standard?

Tondi G
04-03-2015, 08:08 PM
I've never had a rectal exam at any annual OB visits, just a pap and a check over the ovaries etc. Only time anything has ever been inserted there was the little swab for GBS when I was pregnant.

mikala
04-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Nope, I've seen at least 4 doctors for annuals and have never experienced this.

trentsmom
04-03-2015, 08:33 PM
I've had it done with a few different gyns, but it was to check my uterus since it tilts in the wrong direction. I don't know if there was a check for polyps, too.

okinawama
04-03-2015, 08:54 PM
I've seen a handful of OB/GYN and never had that exam either.

SummerBaby
04-03-2015, 09:01 PM
I have seen about 6 OB/GYNs in my lifetime. About 3 of them did thre rectal. I have been told it's not real a rectal, but it's the only way they can get accurately check the back of your uterus for tumors. My friend is a nurse for an OB and she won't go to a GYN who doesn't do the rectal.

BunnyBee
04-03-2015, 09:02 PM
The first one I went to at 18 did, but none since, and I've seen at least 8-9 different providers since then. I have always been slightly worried he was some dirty old man working at the university health center. ;)

daphne
04-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Nope, never. Now, I'm wondering if I should ask my dr about it at my next visit...

jgenie
04-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Yes, my current doctor does as standard practice. My previous two doctors did not.

Sheila
04-03-2015, 10:06 PM
My dr told me that they start doing the rectal exam once a patient turns 40, and then they do it every year thereafter. I had never had it done before I was 40.

pharmjenn
04-03-2015, 10:39 PM
My dr told me that they start doing the rectal exam once a patient turns 40, and then they do it every year thereafter. I had never had it done before I was 40.

Interesting.
My old primary care doc used to do it, starting when I was about 28yo. He also did a 12 lead EKG every year, and I have no personal or family history. I never thought it odd, but have not had any other doctor (OB/Gyn or Internal Medicine) do this. I figured the old doctor just did more for more billing options, as that fit his profile.
Interesting as to the reason they do it, to check the uterus. Never knew that.

Green_Tea
04-03-2015, 11:34 PM
My previous OB (affiliated with a prestigious teaching hospital in a big city) did it. My current doc does not.

While it is no fun during the exam, I am in the "can't hurt, might help" camp on this.

HannaAddict
04-04-2015, 12:57 AM
I have never had it done but have known someone who did and been told that for some heavier women they do that to apply more pressure when doing the exam. But never to look for polyps.

trales
04-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Never done to me. Been to docs in the midwest, the northeast, NY.

american_mama
04-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Yes, I've had it done but did not think it was for polyps. I thought it was to feel a different wall of the vagina and/or a different side of the uterus. In fact, I even asked this question on the board and will try to find the link.

I did some research when I asked the question here, and I think there are mixed reports about the accuracy of this exam, so some obgyn;s may not do it because it's invasive and not very accurate, and some may do it because they feel it accurately palpitates something you otherwise can't assess. And I think there is some feeling that some doctors don't do it because it's uncomfortable for both patient and doctor, which is not a good reason at all. So I was left with the feeling that I wasn't sure what was right, but that perhaps asking your doctor for his or her reasoning for doing it or not doing it was the best approach.

Here's the other thread:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?355983-Question-about-pelvic-exams-esp-from-experts&highlight=rectal