PDA

View Full Version : Worth going for one day?

boltfam
04-05-2015, 03:42 PM
We are vacationing about 1.5 hours from Disney are considering leaving the beach early for a day at Disney on our way home. Our dcs are 7, almost 5, and 2.5. We would be going on a Friday, and it is our state's spring break, so not sure how many other states are on break and if it would be crazy busy or not. If we went, we would only do the Magical Kingdom. We plan on going another time and doing the big trip then, but that's probably a couple of years off yet. Would it be worth going to Disney for one day on a white like this? How about downtown Disney? TIA!

KrisM
04-05-2015, 04:35 PM
This coming up Friday? I think it'll be super busy. The crowd calendar has MK as okay, but a 8 day. http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/04-april-2015-crowd-calendar/

boltfam
04-05-2015, 04:54 PM
This coming up Friday? I think it'll be super busy. The crowd calendar has MK as okay, but a 8 day. http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/04-april-2015-crowd-calendar/

Yes, this idea to visit totally came to me on a whim yesterday as we drive past Orlando, because I just thought of how much my girls would love it! We haven't been to Disney, and I was naive as to how much planning a trip there requires. It sounds like to get the most bang for our buck, we're better off waiting until we have more days and a plan. :D Thanks for the crowd calendar; that will be helpful in the future!

KrisM
04-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Many in Michigan are off this coming week. With fastpass +, you can make fastpass reservations 60 or 30 days ahead, so you would likely have very slim pickings when you get there on Friday. Plus, there are extra magic hours that morning in Magic Kingdom, so resort guests get in at 7am and you wouldn't until 8am. This would likely put you at a disadvantage since you can't even do rope drop to avoid lines at the beginning of the day. Easywdw says more will go to Epcot though for the night time hours. But, if you want to go and go in realizing you may have crowds and lines and are good with it, the kids would likely still have a good time! Pick a few must-see rides/attractions and do those.

If you stay onsite, you can get in for the early hours and probably get quite a bit done in the morning and then take it easier in the afternoon.

WatchingThemGrow
04-05-2015, 09:14 PM
We only ever do one day. My mom lives 2 hours away, and we stop there to "vacation" on our way. We went this past Wednesday, on an 8 day, and we had a blast. We did have tix early, had magic bands from a previous stay, and we could make fast pass and dining reservations early. The problem with going ONE day is tix are $100/piece! If you don't mind a really $$$$ day and a LOT of people, go for it. We saw (no lie) 3 families of 5 from home in our one day there. Something we have loved is to spend a night at a Disney hotel, enjoying the amenities, riding the boats, the monorail, doing a character meal, shopping around, going to downtown disney, etc. (all without ever going into a park!) the moderate and deluxe results all have nice water slides at the pools plus kid "events" around their property.

We also did legoland. There are great ticket discounts, parking discounts, and the park is smaller and manageable. We felt like our kids were the perfect age for it, and the whole experience there was fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
04-05-2015, 09:29 PM
We've done just a day there most every time. It's been fine! Just crazy pricey. :). Go in with a small list of priorities, eat at non peak times and just go with the flow.

boltfam
04-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Thank you all for the replies! Maybe we'll still go after all. I feel like since our kids are so young, we actually wouldn't need to do a lot, so a small list of priorities would be no problem.;) I like the idea of staying at a Disney resort and just enjoying the atmosphere, too!

eta: thanks for the LEGOLAND suggestion, WTG! We decided to go there. :)

Still-in-Shock
04-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Honestly, if you are nearby, and you can afford it, I would GO. Your kids will be thrilled at the chance to go, and they won't know that you didn't do the best planning possible for the trip. You don't know what tomorrow will bring, so I would not take a chance that you will have another opportunity down the road.