PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland - Book ourselves or use a Travel Agent?

Still-in-Shock
04-23-2015, 02:37 AM
I use a travel agent to book cruises, because she can get me exactly what I want. I have not dealt with a Disney cruise, but all the cruise lines I have dealt with seem to prefer to deal with travel agents and give them much better service. After all, an agent represents many more thousands of $ of business than I can provide.

But does Disney work the same? Do they overbook, for instance? Do they keep you waiting on hold when you make a reservation on the phone or call with a question? Can you get real information on the phone, or do the customer service people just read to you whatever is on the website, even if it is out of date? (These are situations I have run into with different cruise lines, which is why I use an agent?)

I realize that with an agent, I will still have to do a lot of research, and I frankly enjoy that. I do NOT enjoy putting a plan together and then explaining it over the phone to someone who knows less than me about the product they are selling. It makes me grouchy! But are the Disney reservation agents like that? Or do they prefer to work with the people who are actually making the trip? And does it matter whether you are booking Disneyland or WDW?

I saw several threads in the past related to this subject, but decided to ask again, because those other threads seemed to be related to specific situations. I am hoping that my question is more generic.

smiles33
04-23-2015, 12:38 PM
I always booked myself as DLR is much smaller than WDW and you can also take advantage of walking-distance "motels" that are 1/2 the price of the on-site hotels. I used DISBoards and literally had Google Drive documents to track notes from the many helpful posters there. Plus, there aren't as many advantages to using a travel agent as reservations aren't in as high demand as at WDW (you can always easily go to Anaheim eateries for lunch and re-enter the park).

Have fun!

SnuggleBuggles
04-23-2015, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't bother. It just isn't the same as WDW. Both times we went, I just read Trip Advisor reviews and booked. Maybe I missed some deal but that doesn't bother me. And I doubt I did. We stayed off site at the Candy Cane Inn. Couldn't bring myself to pay 3x more for the Grand Californian. We just needed a clean place to rest our weary heads. :). It was only 2 nights though. I wasn't treating it as a vacation, just a park visit.

lalasmama
04-23-2015, 03:25 PM
A TA isn't really "needed" for DL. Quite honestly, you will likely pay $100+ more going through a TA than just doing it yourself. (And $100 is 20 churros!) Yes, you get a luggage tag and a lanyard, but is that really worth the extra $$? Not to us :) If you want help without the TA, just let us know :)

That being said, WDTC deals with guests all day long, so they can totally help you figure options out, *if* your chosen options are available to them. But, not all local options are available to them!