PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for a "MOM" backpack

Mikey0709
04-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Anyone have a mom backpack they love???

Hoping for something on the smaller side - extremely lightweight, but will stay on my shoulders. Being waterproof would be a plus (for amusement parks, sweat, etc).

I bought an extremely lightweight packable backpack from Eddie bauer to try the backpack option for me, and I like it - but it kept slipping off my shoulders and annoying me! Usually I do a cross-body bag - but i'm thinking backpack may be even MORE convenient at times.

Any recommendations?

PZMommy
04-29-2015, 09:48 AM
It isn't light weight, but juju be be right back backpack is great. Vera Bradley also has some nice backpacks, and they have a new light weight one. I use it for school field trips and don't mind carrying it at all.

TwoBees
04-29-2015, 10:01 AM
LLBean Stowaway:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86674?feat=816-CL1&page=stowaway-day-pack

arivecchi
04-29-2015, 10:07 AM
LLBean Stowaway:

This is what I have and I love it.

cilantromapuche
04-29-2015, 11:05 AM
I have a Fjallraven backpack and love it.

american_mama
04-29-2015, 12:41 PM
I got one from REI on the advice of someone on this board. Not waterproof exactly, but it can stand up to a little bit of rain. I could not find it on the site, but it's big enough to hold a tablet, full size piece of paper or notebook, but probably not a laptop. "Tablet backpack" is a general category you might try searching for on the internet.

anonomom
04-29-2015, 01:10 PM
I use the Land's End Packable Cinch Sak for Disney, family outings, etc. It stays on my shoulders and is very lightweight (and inexpensive! They go on sale often). They don't have much in the way of organization, but I find mine invaluable.

JElaineB
04-29-2015, 02:25 PM
I have a Fjallraven backpack and love it.

Can that one be carried by the top handles as well as being used as a backpack? DH has an LL Bean one that he prefers to carry by the "hang up" loop rather than use as a backpack in most cases, and the loop broke. LL Bean replaced it, but I won't let him carry it by the loop any more, so it doesn't get much love. Would the full-size version be ok for a man?

cilantromapuche
04-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Can that one be carried by the top handles as well as being used as a backpack? DH has an LL Bean one that he prefers to carry by the "hang up" loop rather than use as a backpack in most cases, and the loop broke. LL Bean replaced it, but I won't let him carry it by the loop any more, so it doesn't get much love. Would the full-size version be ok for a man?

Full size version would be fine for a man. Mine is the 17 inch and the top loops are very sturdy. The backpack straps can tighten and snap to lay flat against the side. I carry it both ways. Love it!

fauve01
04-29-2015, 04:16 PM

Hoping for something on the smaller side - extremely lightweight, but will stay on my shoulders. Being waterproof would be a plus (for amusement parks, sweat, etc).

I bought an extremely lightweight packable backpack from Eddie bauer to try the backpack option for me, and I like it - but it kept slipping off my shoulders and annoying me! Usually I do a cross-body bag - but i'm thinking backpack may be even MORE convenient at times.

Any recommendations?

when my dd was little, we used the Healthy Back Diaper Bag. it was awesome. stayed on my shoulders, had plenty of pockets and contrasting color inside. great size. I would totally get it again if I had another baby! not waterproof tho.

Amazon has it and lots of other places online.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ameribag/healthy-back-baby-bag-in-distressed-nylon/92849

Mikey0709
04-29-2015, 07:01 PM
You certainly have me intrigued be the fjallraven one! May have to see if I can find it in person.

ang79
04-29-2015, 07:09 PM
I have a small Vera Bradley one that I use for short trips to the playground and touristy type stuff (zoo, botanic gardens, etc.). It holds my thermos water bottle and 2 funtainers for the girls, my sunglasses case, small cosmetic bag w/ first aide stuff, snacks, phone, and keys. If I am doing something messier (amusement park, Girl Scout activities, etc.) then I use a Jansport one I found cheap at TJ Maxx (I think its actually the Trans line that can be found at Target). I used to have a Dakine Cosmo, but it is smaller than the VB one and not quite big enough to hold everything I wanted as the girls got older.

abh5e8
04-29-2015, 11:45 PM

Any recommendations?

op, I have the same question! (and that same EB backpack, with the straps that slide off.)

LLBean Stowaway:

This is what I have and I love it.

this looks perfect, thank you! and not a bad price. what color do you all have? i plan to use it for the zoo, park, short hikes with the kids, travel and maybe work.

squimp
04-30-2015, 12:08 AM
This is my go to backpack, because it is small, cute and comfy. I took it to Disney to carry my wallet and camera and a few other things. I love to travel light.

http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-UBC227-Urban-Backpack/dp/B000F43NFU

TwoBees
04-30-2015, 08:15 AM
this looks perfect, thank you! and not a bad price. what color do you all have? i plan to use it for the zoo, park, short hikes with the kids, travel and maybe work.

I have a light blue color that isn't available any more. Actually, when I got mine 3 years ago or so there were only 3 or 4 colors available. One note about this backpack is that because it is so lightweight the part that rests against your back is lightly padded but fairly unstructured, so it can feel lumpy depending on what you have in the bag. I solve this by putting my changing pad or a book or a folded sweatshirt (depending on what I need to pack that day) against the part that rests against my back and packing the other stuff (snacks, wipes, water bottle, etc) closer to the front. I'm fine with this because adding more structure or padding to that part of the backpack would make it heavier and less packable.

jgenie
04-30-2015, 08:52 AM
op, I have the same question! (and that same EB backpack, with the straps that slide off.)

M

LL bean has a 10% code today. It was a one use code. Might be able to call to get the discount.

abh5e8
04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
thanks! did it come in your email?

lmintzer
04-30-2015, 10:58 AM

I also have the LL Bean Stowaway pack for casual Mom/travel use. Have a fancier MZ Wallace backpack when I still want to go hands free but be a little fancier.

arivecchi
04-30-2015, 11:28 AM

this looks perfect, thank you! and not a bad price. what color do you all have? i plan to use it for the zoo, park, short hikes with the kids, travel and maybe work. I chose black so that it would go with my winter coats and so that I could take it to football/baseball fields and not worry about it getting dirty. I use mine on weekends mostly since I'm on the go with the kids doing sports. I have also used it for hikes and camping and it's great for that since it's super light.

jgenie
04-30-2015, 05:00 PM

Yes - I got it this morning. I ordered grey because I'll be using it in TX in summer.