PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend tablet for 6 year old

CharlotteMommy
05-07-2015, 10:27 AM
We are considering buying a tablet for my DS for his 6th birthday. We want something that is kid and parent friendly -- fun, easy to use, can hold a lot of apps / programs, ability to utilize flash for school web programs, fast, and with parent controls for content and time limits.

I visited Best Buy, and the sales rep recommended the Samsung Galaxy 3 for kids --
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-kids-edition-7-8gb-yellow/2601005.p?id=1219074893362&skuId=2601005

Anyone own this one or can recommend another? TIA!!

candaceb
05-07-2015, 11:05 AM
If I was buying one for my 4.5 year old, I would get the Kindle Fire kids' version. I don't know about Flash on it though. I have a Kindle Fire HD 7 and I bought the Amazon kids' case for it for when DS is using it. It is very well protected and he can use it with no problems.

elbenn
05-07-2015, 01:28 PM
It's not a kids only version, but the ipad mini is a great tablet. You can get a kid friendly cover to go on it.

pastrygirl
05-08-2015, 08:51 AM
My kids have been using an iPad Mini. I've had one since it first came out, and really like it. I used to like Android, but they don't last as long as iDevices. They get clunky and slow and unusable to me after 2 years.

ETA: no flash, though. It hasn't been a problem for us. I use a physical timer for time limits. ;) But we use timers for EVERYTHING. There's always one going off, so incorporating a timer for digital time was easy to do.