PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Shorts for Tall Plus Sized People With Curves

lizzywednesday
05-08-2015, 07:14 PM
OK, so out of nowhere after a rotten MLS match, DH complained that my skorts (Athleta's "Whatever Skort") are "really not flattering."

Yes, I know they're not flattering, but I wear them because they're comfortable and they sort-of fit my hard-to-fit body. (Probably a lousy reason, but, there you have it.)

I have a very generous backside, heavy legs, and wide hips.

Bermuda shorts do NOT flatter me, but I do need a long inseam. The last time I actually wore shorts, I had a very ill-fitting pair of velcro-closure cargo shorts, circa 1994. Really. They were frigging hideous.

I hate super-short shorts (they ride up and I'm always picking at them ... also, I am 37. I feel silly wearing short-shorts.)

I also hate capri pants - I can't manage to find a pair that doesn't hit exactly at my knee-joint, so when I walk, I constantly feel like they're sliding down my bum.

Where else should I look? Lane Bryant's options are both too expensive and don't suit me.

pastrygirl
05-08-2015, 08:35 PM
I have to say that when I was size 16-18 (very much bottom-heavy), I mostly wore skirts. I couldn't stand how shorts looked, no matter the length or style. I had some skorts and capris, but they did look terrible on me. I sometimes wore them anyway, but really it was just skirts.

Have you tried regular-length pants/jeans and rolled up the hem to get a good capri length for you? I recently discovered that I like petite sizes because of the shorter hem; I have to roll less. I have to size up in petites, though.

lizzywednesday
05-08-2015, 09:41 PM

Have you tried regular-length pants/jeans and rolled up the hem to get a good capri length for you? I recently discovered that I like petite sizes because of the shorter hem; I have to roll less. I have to size up in petites, though.

I can't do that - my entire leg, from thigh to ankle, is heavy. Like soccer-players' legs gone to seed with serious cankles.

Rolling just adds bulk ... and would exacerbate the heavy legs problem without solving the unflattering clothing problem.

I'm so picky with skirts, but that's what I did in high school. Skirts, skirts, and more skirts. I had severe body image issues as well as a hard-to-fit body, but the whole "prairie skirts" trend was very in when I was a Freshman, so I bought a ton of them.

BunnyBee
05-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Ass kicks to DH, first of all!

I don't wear shorts either, and I live in a hot, humid area. Old Navy has some linen pants with a yoga fold over waist that are awesome. I live in those in the summer!

lizzywednesday
05-10-2015, 02:51 PM
I've kind of broken up with Old Navy for the moment.

Back in October, I needed a pair of black pants (I only have black dress pants which are a bit too short because, apparently, you can't be plus-sized and also tall), took my measurements, and ordered the size the tape measure said ... and they sort of fit. They're a bit too big in the waist, but way narrow in the thigh and knee. I don't understand why something PLUS SIZED and supposed to be a "curvy" fit has the legs cut for someone with legs like my stick-skinny 12-year-old niece. (Worst part about it is I couldn't return them because they took forever to arrive and I needed them for an event barely 2 days after they reached me. So I have a pretty useless pair of black khakis, but at least they're the right length!)

*sigh* Why is it so difficult to design clothing for women of every size and shape? If I knew anything about design, I'd do it myself!

Pinky
05-11-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm glad you posted this. I've been wondering the same thing. And I'd like to try skirts but I don't like my thighs touching each other when it's hot. Is that weird? Lol

hillview
05-11-2015, 09:00 AM
send DH shopping

Percycat
05-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Have you tried CJ Banks? I am generally 18W and have some twill shorts and skorts that look nice and are comfortable.

Zansu
05-11-2015, 11:11 AM
I've had good luck with shorts from Liz Claiborne at JCPenny. I also wear the ankle length pants as capris.

For dress pants, Jones NY from Macy's run long.

SnuggleBuggles
05-11-2015, 11:22 AM
I would try some 5" shorts from Lands End. I find that a properly fitting short, even shorter ones, can be comfy and flattering. Costco had some good CK ones last year too that I'm hoping they bring back.

pastrygirl
05-11-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm glad you posted this. I've been wondering the same thing. And I'd like to try skirts but I don't like my thighs touching each other when it's hot. Is that weird? LolI don't either, but this stuff is GREAT to make it tolerable: http://www.amazon.com/Bodyglide-Original-Anti-Chafe-Balm-Packaging/dp/B005L8YVRO

I also use it on my feet if shoes/straps bother me on sweaty days.

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 09:43 AM
send DH shopping

I like that idea and have threatened to do it.

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 09:44 AM
I don't either, but this stuff is GREAT to make it tolerable: http://www.amazon.com/Bodyglide-Original-Anti-Chafe-Balm-Packaging/dp/B005L8YVRO

I also use it on my feet if shoes/straps bother me on sweaty days.

BodyGlide is the best because what my friend D calls "chub rub" is not.

I've also had reasonable luck with a silicone-powder thing by Monistat.

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Have you tried CJ Banks? I am generally 18W and have some twill shorts and skorts that look nice and are comfortable.

I've never heard of that brand.

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 09:48 AM
I've had good luck with shorts from Liz Claiborne at JCPenny. I also wear the ankle length pants as capris.

For dress pants, Jones NY from Macy's run long.

My interview suit is Jones NY; it's a trouser suit. The trousers do NOT run long; they are plus-sized and have a 32" inseam. There is no plus-tall. I am 5'8" and need a 34" inseam. I had to buy new shoes to wear my suits.

I can't do those ankle-length pants because they typically taper.

My leg is heavy the WHOLE WAY DOWN.

Picture ... Abby Wambach's legs gone to seed and you have my legs.

Still-in-Shock
05-12-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm glad you posted this. I've been wondering the same thing. And I'd like to try skirts but I don't like my thighs touching each other when it's hot. Is that weird? Lol
If it's weird, then I'm weird too.
Thank you to the people who suggested Body Glide. I forgot that I had planned to try that.

OP, I wish I had some really good guidance for you, but all I can come up with is buying something that is too big and getting it tailored to fit you. It's an extra expense, but having something that fits you well is such a great feeling.

TwinFoxes
05-12-2015, 11:37 AM
OK, so out of nowhere after a rotten MLS match, DH complained that my skorts (Athleta's "Whatever Skort") are "really not flattering."

But how is it not flattering? Isn't it basically a skirt, like the shorts are built in underneath the skirt? Maybe it's too short, and you just need a longer skort? If you've had it a long time, maybe it's just lost it's shape, and you just need a newer spiffier version. Just curious, because I googled the whatever skort, and it looks like a pretty forgiving shape. I have long legs, so skirts that aren't technically minis, do look a little short on me. Maybe you just need something longer? Also, I don't know what type of top you wear, but with a flaired skirt, fitted tops look better. A flared skirt and a loose top would not look very good IMO. Just some thoughts.

Katigre
05-12-2015, 11:55 AM
OK, i know this isn't what you want to hear, but you will need to spend money for more expensive brands and also tailoring in order to fit your body. You wont find what you're looking for in discount brands.

What about maxi skirts as an option?

Loft or limited are both slightly nicer, but you may be far better served finding a tailor to take your clothes in so they fit you. Ready to wear clothing works for more average sized people. Your height makes it hard to fit into that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 01:19 PM
But how is it not flattering? Isn't it basically a skirt, like the shorts are built in underneath the skirt? Maybe it's too short, and you just need a longer skort? If you've had it a long time, maybe it's just lost it's shape, and you just need a newer spiffier version. Just curious, because I googled the whatever skort, and it looks like a pretty forgiving shape. I have long legs, so skirts that aren't technically minis, do look a little short on me. Maybe you just need something longer? Also, I don't know what type of top you wear, but with a flaired skirt, fitted tops look better. A flared skirt and a loose top would not look very good IMO. Just some thoughts.

It looks like enough people hated the contrast stitching along the skirt's gores that Athleta has discontinued it. That's OK; it didn't bother me.

He actually complained that it was too long!

It's not too short; I get the Tall sizes so it goes all the way down my thigh; it hits my kneecap. I wasn't willing to take a chance on the regular size.

I do wear fitted tees with them.

While I have had them a long time, they aren't cotton (they're kind of a sueded poly) and are very structured, they haven't lost their shape.

Percycat
05-12-2015, 01:21 PM
There is no plus-tall. I am 5'8" and need a 34" inseam. I had to buy new shoes to wear my suits.

I can't do those ankle-length pants because they typically taper.

My leg is heavy the WHOLE WAY DOWN.

CJ Banks does have tall womens clothes. I assume you live in NJ and there isn't a CJ Banks store in NJ. I guess the closest stores are in PA or DE. If your ever shopping in those states, check out the store. They generally have 3 different fits for pants -- once you figure out which fit works best, it is easy to order and return. Also, the skorts have long attched bike shorts that stay put.

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 01:25 PM
OK, i know this isn't what you want to hear, but you will need to spend money for more expensive brands and also tailoring in order to fit your body. You wont find what you're looking for in discount brands.

Yeah, the whole spend money thing isn't a possibility; I'm broke.
Our budget is very tight and I'm not a priority.
DD needs summer clothing (Desperately Needs) and I'm still not working, so we'll likely spend on her first.

I hate discount brands in general because sizing tends to be letter-sizing (S/M/L, etc.) over numbers (I'm somewhere between a 14 and 16W depending on the brand's size charts and whether it's a dress or pants) so I'm not looking places like Old Navy (etc.)

What about maxi skirts as an option?

I think I mentioned upthread that I wore a lot of maxi skirts in high school. I'm picky about those and haven't seen anything that catches my eye ... or if it does, I worry that, because I wore it 20 years ago, I'll feel stupid in it.

Loft or limited are both slightly nicer, but you may be far better served finding a tailor to take your clothes in so they fit you. Ready to wear clothing works for more average sized people. Your height makes it hard to fit into that.

I can't wear The Limited (even pre-kids) and haven't tried Loft.

I know my height makes it hard to find what I want. It's why I hate shopping!

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 01:31 PM
I would try some 5" shorts from Lands End. I find that a properly fitting short, even shorter ones, can be comfy and flattering. Costco had some good CK ones last year too that I'm hoping they bring back.

5"? Really? That's too short! (My skort's inner short inseam is 5" and they constantly ride up if I'm not wearing any kind of anti-chafe product, but I deal because the skirt covers it.)

We don't have a Costco membership and the clothing I've seen at BJs is ... scary.

SnuggleBuggles
05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
I think a well fitting 5" could be comfy and flattering. Give them a try. :)

weech
05-12-2015, 01:57 PM
This is probably not a popular suggestion here but I buy a lot of my stuff at Torrid. I'm also a 14-16 and their clothes just fit my body better than other brands. Some of their stuff is to too crazy for me but I live in their jeans, shirts, dresses and shorts. They have 40 percent off sales every so often.

Eta - I agree on the 5" shorts suggestions. I've found that's my sweet spot.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 03:00 PM
I think a well fitting 5" could be comfy and flattering. Give them a try. :)

Yeah, that whole "well-fitting" bit is what's so difficult and I'm not going to get that from Lands End.

lizzywednesday
05-12-2015, 03:00 PM
This is probably not a popular suggestion here but I buy a lot of my stuff at Torrid. I'm also a 14-16 and their clothes just fit my body better than other brands. Some of their stuff is to too crazy for me but I live in their jeans, shirts, dresses and shorts. They have 40 percent off sales every so often.

Eta - I agree on the 5" shorts suggestions. I've found that's my sweet spot.

I've been told to consider Torrid, but had a terrible experience with them ages ago and haven't looked since.

Also ... don't they skew young?

weech
05-12-2015, 03:20 PM
I've been told to consider Torrid, but had a terrible experience with them ages ago and haven't looked since.

Also ... don't they skew young?

It's worth a shot. Some of their stuff is "young" I guess but not in terms of low rises and such. Not saying you'll love their graphic tees but you might find some bottoms that fit like a dream ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
05-12-2015, 04:50 PM
It looks like enough people hated the contrast stitching along the skirt's gores that Athleta has discontinued it. That's OK; it didn't bother me.

He actually complained that it was too long!

Ah, so maybe the skort that replaced it, but in regular, not in long, would be more flattering? I'm assuming it doesn't have the contrast stitching you mentioned. It's worth a shot.

MontrealMum
05-13-2015, 02:36 AM
Most of my shorts are LE but not the 5" mentioned above. My guess is they're either the 7" or the 10"? I looked on the site and they are definitely not the bermuda style which appear to be new this year and quite narrow thru the leg. They come in tall and plus sizes.

I'm 5'7" with long legs and I also prefer a 34" inseam when buying pants. I shop a lot at Talbot's and Boden, though I've never bought shorts specifically at Boden. Both sell tall and plus sizes. I often wear capris in the summer because they can do double duty for both work and home. I mostly buy skirts from Boden, though, and always buy the tall size so that the hem hits lower on the leg. We have a dress code for work and many skirts are too short on me if they're not a tall. If you're considering skirts I'd check them out.

Honestly, though, I agree with the poster that said you should send your DH shopping ;) Who is he to critique what you wear? That just sounds so mean-spirited. If you like your Athleta skorts and find they fit well and are comfy, then I say keep on wearing them!

When I was thinner I used to buy all my shorts from the Gap. I just looked and they seem to only have very short inseams now. They used to have more of a variety. Eddie Bauer might have something. I don't shop there anymore because they're not in my province.

lizzywednesday
05-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Most of my shorts are LE but not the 5" mentioned above. My guess is they're either the 7" or the 10"? I looked on the site and they are definitely not the bermuda style which appear to be new this year and quite narrow thru the leg. They come in tall and plus sizes.

I'll have to look again. I'm a little afraid to look at LE because their fit model at last check (though Chat Customer Service doesn't know what that term means) was 5'6" but maybe I should give them another shot.

I'm 5'7" with long legs and I also prefer a 34" inseam when buying pants. I shop a lot at Talbot's and Boden, though I've never bought shorts specifically at Boden. Both sell tall and plus sizes. I often wear capris in the summer because they can do double duty for both work and home. I mostly buy skirts from Boden, though, and always buy the tall size so that the hem hits lower on the leg. We have a dress code for work and many skirts are too short on me if they're not a tall. If you're considering skirts I'd check them out.

I love Boden, and have had my eye on some skirts this year, but I can't afford them. DH is holding the purse strings.

Talbots is tricky for me; I need to find things that don't make me look frumpy, and a lot of their Plus line does. It's just the way my body is shaped.

Honestly, though, I agree with the poster that said you should send your DH shopping ;) Who is he to critique what you wear? That just sounds so mean-spirited. If you like your Athleta skorts and find they fit well and are comfy, then I say keep on wearing them!

I like them and they're comfy, but he's right that they don't fit well. (But I don't know what would be better. It's what I have; I've invested $200 over 5 years to purchase them and it's stupid to stop wearing them because he's acting like a sh!t.)

When I was thinner I used to buy all my shorts from the Gap. I just looked and they seem to only have very short inseams now. They used to have more of a variety. Eddie Bauer might have something. I don't shop there anymore because they're not in my province.

I couldn't buy Gap even at my slimmest - I've always had what a friend described as "ghetto booty" and their stuff is simply cut too narrow.

I'm actually a little afraid of Eddie Bauer - I feel like they can skew matronly in my size-range.

SnuggleBuggles
05-13-2015, 05:12 PM
LE has a whole section of shorts for a tall fit... http://www.landsend.com/shop/womens-shorts-tall/-/N-fy6Zfoi?cm_re=nav-_-women-_-catagories-_-shorts

I wouldn't worry about "matrlonly". Shorts can easily read that regardless of where you buy them Just don't buy any super high waisted, pleated shorts and you're already in an ok spot Think of them as a simple foundation and what you add (t's, tanks and jewelery) will be the thing that makes them "young" vs "old". Same holds with buying at a teen-type store. If they fit and again no pleats or crazy high waist (aka mom style jeans) then don't worry.

KrystalS
05-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Have you checked Target? I have to order online because my store never carries the plus size or larger sizes. I got some 9" chino and chambray shorts for $20, plus there is a $10 off $50 on clothes. Free shipping too. They have the same version in plus size but less color selection. I'm tall, not as tall as you but I have long legs and theres no way I could wear 5" shorts so I know how you feel there. I wear a 16/18 and I got a size 18 in the shorts and they fit great. I have a really hard time finding shorts. I actually bought mens athletic shorts to wear to Disney World in a few weeks because I literally searched every store for weeks trying to find long shorts that will be comfortable in the Florida heat.

What I purchased:
http://www.target.com/p/women-s-9-chambray-short-merona-chambray/-/A-16529494#prodSlot=_1_17

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-9-chino-short-merona/-/A-16540641?lnk=Rec|pdp|16540641|viewed_bought|pdph1| 1

mom2khj
05-15-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm 5'7" and heavier. Most of my height is in my legs. But I can get by with 32" inseam pants. I love the chino shorts from Lands End. I have the 7" ones, and I feel like they are the perfect length. 5" would be WAY too short for me. I bought two pair last year and just added another three pairs this year for more variety. I try to buy when they have a 30% coupon to help with the cost.

zag95
06-01-2015, 08:18 PM
I am 5'11" and a 22. Here is where I shop: Land's End (check out the discount section); Nordstrom; Macy's. I have also purchased a few items at our local Fred Meyer- some capri pants. I have found a few things at Target over the years, in the plus size dept- that might be an option, as they have a new line. What about finding something like gaucho pants?? Kinda like capris, but flowier?? Or something like this?? http://www.hanes.com/justmysize/plus-size-clothing/by-style/skirts/just-my-size-skirt-26308

I don't worry too much about looking frumpy..... I just go for something that fits as well as possible, and makes me feel good. Life is too short!

lizzywednesday
06-02-2015, 10:09 AM
I am 5'11" and a 22. Here is where I shop: Land's End (check out the discount section); Nordstrom; Macy's. I have also purchased a few items at our local Fred Meyer- some capri pants. I have found a few things at Target over the years, in the plus size dept- that might be an option, as they have a new line. What about finding something like gaucho pants?? Kinda like capris, but flowier?? Or something like this?? http://www.hanes.com/justmysize/plus-size-clothing/by-style/skirts/just-my-size-skirt-26308

Gauchos exacerbate the problem by adding bulk and drawing attention to places I'm self-conscious about.

I've never felt comfortable in either those or palazzo style pants.

I don't worry too much about looking frumpy..... I just go for something that fits as well as possible, and makes me feel good. Life is too short!

I usually don't worry about the frump issue, but, honestly, when I dress frumpy, I look bigger.

Also, I hear it from DH, and it's frustrating because he favors pleated-front dress pants and sweater vests, two items of clothing that I associate with old men.