PDA

View Full Version : ISO affordable laptop for rising 6th grader

Mamma2004
05-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Following up on the discussion in the Lounge from a week ago, I keep looking for an inexpensive laptop or chrome book for DS. Hoping anyone with a good deal will post. Thank you!

ahisma
05-12-2015, 02:02 PM
We have this chromebook for the kids, bought recently after reading a bunch of tech reviews. I'd buy it again: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMLV7VQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mamma2004
05-13-2015, 01:50 PM
We have this chromebook for the kids, bought recently after reading a bunch of tech reviews. I'd buy it again: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMLV7VQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That price seems hard to beat. We're not sure whether to buy now (for DS's birthday) or wait until August. Either way, thanks for the recommendation!

Simon
05-13-2015, 02:57 PM
I bought a refurb Lenovo from their online outlet (http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/laptops/#facet-1=1,2,3,4) a little over 2 years ago. It has been an excellent purchase. Previously, I bought new, name-brand laptops for a lot more $$$ and all of them had issues at the end of 2 years. Knock on wood the Lenovo is going strong and I won't hesitate to buy another on when I need to. ETA: hyperlink

Mamma2004
05-13-2015, 03:54 PM
I bought a refurb Lenovo from their online outlet (http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/laptops/#facet-1=1,2,3,4) a little over 2 years ago. It has been an excellent purchase. Previously, I bought new, name-brand laptops for a lot more $$$ and all of them had issues at the end of 2 years. Knock on wood the Lenovo is going strong and I won't hesitate to buy another on when I need to. ETA: hyperlink
Is your Lenovo a "full" laptop? What do you love about it (besides the price)?
Thank you so much. I'm feeling overwhelmed, but it is so reassuring to know that good options are out there for quite reasonable prices!

Simon
05-14-2015, 09:36 AM
It is a full laptop and came loaded with Windows as an operating system. I loaded OpenOffice for free, planning to upgrade later but its been fine. It is an E1 series, thought I don't remember the exact model #s. It has a DVD/CD drive and a built in video camera and microphone, plus the usual usb ports, earphone jack, etc. I didn't anticipate needing some of these things but it turns out they have been very helpful for an online class and things like making a video presentation, recording a message to share with Grandparents, etc. I mostly use word processing, the DVD player, and Internet, lately adding the built in video/audio capabilities.
It is pretty sturdy, too. I carry it around in a messenger bag (no extra padding :bag) and it has taken a few knocks.

keckert
05-14-2015, 11:33 AM
I grabbed a reburb Chromebook off Groupon around the holidays similar to the Amazon link one (might be that one) for $100 and it's perfect for what my daughter needs.

Twin Mom
05-16-2015, 06:00 PM
I also bought the refurb Acer Chromebook off Groupon back in September. I'm typing on it now. It's the C720 which is a different model than the one linked above but i don't know how. I really like it. I actually use it all the time for myself and my DC use it too for online schoolwork. The only issue is that it doesn't run Microsoft Office which my DC use in school so we have to remember to convert the Google docs to MS when we save them so they can use them at school. Also DS hasn't been able to make Minecraft work on it so that was kind of a bummer for him.

sariana
05-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Minecraft does not work on Chromebooks. That may change in the future, but right now it's a no-go.

The C720 is the model we have in most of our schools. It's a good sturdy device. Just a couple of weeks ago we started getting C740s. I'm assuming the C720 is discontinued, but I'm not sure.

Mamma2004
06-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Minecraft does not work on Chromebooks. That may change in the future, but right now it's a no-go.

The C720 is the model we have in most of our schools. It's a good sturdy device. Just a couple of weeks ago we started getting C740s. I'm assuming the C720 is discontinued, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for telling me about Minecraft. We have not allowed it until now, mostly because we are very strict on screen time. However, DS changed schools and at his private school, many of the boys socialize with each other via Minecraft. I'm still apprehensive, but I do want to keep an open mind. If we are even thinking about introducing Minecraft, I guess a Chromebook is out of the question.

I am actively looking at the Lenovo laptops. Any other suggestions before we make a purchase?? Thanks to all!

onerubberducky
06-03-2015, 11:23 AM
A used macbook, the operating system is so stable, and its very hard to download bad things. Bit over price but worth it for kids I think.

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Our ds1 just uses the family computer. He hasn't needed to do much at all on it and he's in 7th grade. Are you sure you need one?

Twin Mom
06-03-2015, 11:38 PM
There are work arounds to get Minecraft to work on a Chromebook but DS couldn't get it to work. It involves downloading another operating system onto the Chromebook and running Minecraft through it but it wasn't as simple as DS thought it would be and I am not the best at the techy stuff so we gave up. If you Google it you can find more information on how to do it and see that it can actually work. He just uses the Windows laptop he already has to play Minecraft or use MS products so he has no complaints. The CB is definitely used for school research and projects though. It's easy to pick up and carry wherever it's needed since it's small and light. Sometimes I use it instead of my MAC since I am still not totally MAC savvy yet being a long time PC user.

sandwish
06-04-2015, 01:44 AM
Another vote for Lenovo refurbished laptops. DH and I both have one, for $300 each (mine: 6/2013-$311-S400). His is bigger, with cd-rom, mine is very thin, light weight with no cd-rom. It will last you a long time, good speed, PC.

Mamma2004
06-04-2015, 09:47 PM
I am so appreciative of your replies! Beth, yes, I am finally sure that he "needs" one. It has become a challenge at home, mostly because DH and I both do a lot of our work on the computer. DS changed schools in March and had a TON of work, all fabulous, but much of it online. Our weekends were a huge challenge because DH and I were each trying to our work from our iPhones!
DS does not need fancy, just reliable. Step one is to look again at the refurbished Lenovos. I am intrigued...and very hopeful...

Thank you all!

ECMom
06-04-2015, 10:46 PM
We got our 7th grader a Dell Inspiron during the Black Friday sales. I had used Dell laptops at work. Two things I'm not thrilled about with my son's - the touchpad is clunky & Windows 8. No matter which brand you choose, keep an eye on slickdeals for sales.