PDA

View Full Version : Oils, oils, oils!!! Body oils and linens!

twowhat?
05-16-2015, 11:35 AM
I guess DH and I are just oily people. It's gross. I definitely have gotten more oily as I get older - I have to blot or wash my face a few times a day. DH has oily skin too.

I am not even sure washing sheets more frequently would help, because my clothes (that get washed frequently after each wear) still develop that rancid oily smell even after laundering.

Our pillows and sheets are the worst - I'd have to wash them EVERY DAY if I wanted to keep the oils at bay because sheets are too thin to prevent oil from getting through into the bedding below and into the pillows. I just stripped the bed for washing and noticed that all of our pillows under the cases are stained yellow.

We've gotten so much rain recently that the bedroom is seriously stinky now with all the extra humidity. I probably need to wash the dog bed too, that's probably contributing.

Help!!! It's embarrassing and gross!! I'm tempted to throw out all the pillows and start fresh but then won't the same thing happen again?

jgenie
05-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Do you have a waterproof barrier under your linens?

Aishe
05-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Do you have a sanitary cycle on your washing machine? That's what I use for dh's gardening clothes - which are seriously gross - and it's like magic, I swear. I'm not sure how pillows would fare in the sanitary cycle, but it's certainly worth a try if you're already considering throwing them out.

SnuggleBuggles
05-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Do you use oxiclean on your stuff? I find it helps.

TwoBees
05-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Do you use oxiclean on your stuff? I find it helps.

I put a scoop of oxiclean in practically every load I can run on warm (I don't think cold water activates the oxiclean, but maybe someone knows more about that than I do).

niccig
05-18-2015, 11:57 PM
I have protectors on all the pillows, then then pillow case. There's a mattress protector on the mattress. These get washed too. Pillow protector every time do linens and mattress protector ever few times.

legaleagle
05-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Which detergent are you using? Do you have hard water in your area?