PDA

View Full Version : Ok...Question about Certain Weeks and DVC Rentals

Indianamom2
05-18-2015, 01:18 PM
So it looks like DH will be getting a sizeable bonus in the next month and given all the health stuff we went through last year, we're kind of feeling like we want to do something fun while we (mostly I) still can, since our kids are only young once. That brings us to Disney World. We are looking at a couple possible weeks this year (I know we're planning late here):

1st week of Nov.: It looks like this is also "Jersey week". Anyone know anything about that and if it is something to consider or no big deal?

2nd week of Nov. : Free dining starts this week, so we're a little worried that it might be more crowded due to that.

Nov. 27th - Dec. 6th: Seems like a good time, but airfare is higher, but not a deal-breaker

Second week of Dec.: Will run into Pop Warner cheering week? Is this a big deal?

Ideally we'd also use the 30% off promo if it's available then , which it should be according to the flyer they sent us. We've tried booking DVC points through David's, but nothing other than Saratoga Springs is available any of those times and we would prefer something with really easy travel given (monorail, boat) my walking issues.

So....thoughts on dates? Thoughts on another place to try buying DVC points privately? We don't want to stay off-site at all. Don't really care about the dining plan.

rkold
05-18-2015, 07:54 PM
So it looks like DH will be getting a sizeable bonus in the next month and given all the health stuff we went through last year, we're kind of feeling like we want to do something fun while we (mostly I) still can, since our kids are only young once. That brings us to Disney World. We are looking at a couple possible weeks this year (I know we're planning late here):

1st week of Nov.: It looks like this is also "Jersey week". Anyone know anything about that and if it is something to consider or no big deal?

2nd week of Nov. : Free dining starts this week, so we're a little worried that it might be more crowded due to that.

Nov. 27th - Dec. 6th: Seems like a good time, but airfare is higher, but not a deal-breaker

Second week of Dec.: Will run into Pop Warner cheering week? Is this a big deal?

Ideally we'd also use the 30% off promo if it's available then , which it should be according to the flyer they sent us. We've tried booking DVC points through David's, but nothing other than Saratoga Springs is available any of those times and we would prefer something with really easy travel given (monorail, boat) my walking issues.

So....thoughts on dates? Thoughts on another place to try buying DVC points privately? We don't want to stay off-site at all. Don't really care about the dining plan.

The first two weeks of December can be iffy. (They are also among the hardest weeks to book as a DVC member, even at your home resort!) It use to be one of the least crowded times to visit, but it has gotten a lot more so. (At least it felt that way when we were there in December 2014!) The monorail resorts all tend to have special decorations for the holidays so they get crowded with people just visiting the hotels. We had a terrible experience with the filming of the Christmas Parade. It makes walking around MK really hard. I guess if you want to be involved in the filming, it's great. If you want to walk around MK, not so much, I felt like a salmon swimming upstream as I tried to reach our FP+ to meet Mickey having been previously in Fantasyland.

I know someone who went to Disney last year in mid November and said it was great. She said the crowds were not too bad. I think the only thing you have to watch for is the end of The Wine and Dine 1/2. The Disney races bring in an additional 15-30k people for the week end. They can also disrupt traffic flow, though the Wine+Dine is at night, so unless you are planning a lot of night time activities that helps a lot.

Usually Disney likes to offer the free dinning plans to get people in, so if they are offering it, they want more people to visit.

Hope this helps!

pharmjenn
05-19-2015, 04:13 AM
I can't get on the board right now to confirm, but I believe the Disboards DVC section has people listing rentals.

egoldber
05-19-2015, 07:45 AM
We've been "Jersey Week" many times because we typically have a long school break that weekend. As far as crowd level goes, it has gotten a lot more crowded over the last few years.

If you can, I would do the second week of November, or any time after Thanksgiving week and before Christmas week. After Thanksgiving has the advantage of the holiday decorations being up, and I will say that the decorations are beautiful.

rkold
05-19-2015, 10:48 AM
I can't get on the board right now to confirm, but I believe the Disboards DVC section has people listing rentals.

I think usually the board has people renting their points, not so many people renting weeks they've already booked on their points. I went and checked on the actual DVC website and in November there is just not that much availability except at Saratoga, Old Key West and I think Kidani? Its less than 7 months out and November is still popular enough. DVC members tend to prefer to use their points during low season. I know I had a terrible time at 11 months out trying to book 12/7/14-12/11/14 at the VGF and had to walk my reservation to get my stay. I can't imagine with how many more people own there now it is any easier.

It might cost more, but if OP wants to stay on property at a monorail resort, OP's best bet is probably through Disney.

Indianamom2
05-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks! We have a room at the Polynesian on hold (I happened to remember that we had a unique code offer that had come in the mail a few days earlier....thought about throwing it away and got distracted....guess it was meant to be!) I think we're going the first week of November. It will probably be more crowded than I would like, but it seems like no matter when we go these days, it's more crowded than it used to be. Planning last minute is stressful (and this isn't really last-minute!)