PDA

View Full Version : Tired of paying the dentist

Kestrel
05-18-2015, 07:34 PM
I wonder how much more money I would have if I didn't have dental bills? I must have close to $100,000 into my mouth.

Past history - Four horrible wisdom tooth extractions (infected to the point of hospitalization)
Two crappy years of braces as a young adult, 19-21 years old (wisdom teeth messed things up)
Ten, yes TEN crowns, and many fillings
Most of the crowns have been replaced three times, the rest twice (crappy military stainless crowns, originally)

This year, when needed to replace yet another crown, had to have surgery to cut down the gum to give them room to crown it again. I can't believe how expensive this was (insurance paid for none of my surgery), and how horrible the recovery was. This was mid-Feb. Went on a Tuesday to get a cleaning and the prep for the crown on this tooth. Went pretty smooth, but... the next morning I woke up to tooth pain on the _other_ side. Didn't think much of it, as every time I have a crown I change my bite a little, and some ache is normal. Got worse and worse every day, to the point of not sleeping on 800 mg of advil, until I went in Monday for an emergency appointment... to find out a molar on the other side is infected, and will need.... a root canal and a new crown! I've already spent three months' take-home pay at the dentist/periodontist this year, and that crown's not done yet, and now there's MORE! I got some hard-core antibiotics and narcotic pain meds, and now I have to figure out where to come up with more thousands of dollars... I'm so frustrated!

Also, the timing is strangely coincidental...I get a cleaning, and the next morning wake up to a problem? Did they aggravate something? I cannot afford this! My dentist wants/wanted me to get implants in both the molar being fixed and the new problem - a six to seven thousand each! It is the last bottom tooth on each side, so I can't even get a bridge. Besides, I don't like the idea of putting a foreign thing into my bone, but the thought of a root canal isn't much better.

I'm so frustrated! polite advice welcome... but I'm on narcotics, so I'm not as nice as usual! (It's amazing how narcotics turn off your filters!)

trales
05-18-2015, 07:59 PM
That seems a really high estimate for implants. My DH has 4 implants, and a bone graft/ sinus lift. All done in a set of 3 surgeries. The total bill for all that came to $6500.00. We paid for it all, insurance paid none of it. Take 2 weeks, heal, get a second, and a third opinion. Be sure of what you want.

The whole things sucks big time, a few years later it is easy to look back on, but I remember the angst and stress and am so sorry another person has to go through this. It will get better.

kdeunc
05-18-2015, 08:12 PM
I am in the process of getting an implant. Total cost around $3800. All out of pocket. You should get a second opinion.

oneplustwo
05-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Is this all with the same dentist? I'd be checking with other dentists to see if they agree, and if they do, with pricing.

liz
05-19-2015, 08:39 AM
I have a bridge (long story) and if I could have afforded it at the time (was a college student), I would have gone with an implant. My mom has four implants and she is soooo happy with them. I agree with PP, get a second opinion to see if you can get a better price. I am pretty sure my mom paid around $4000 per implant --crazy when you say it out loud! but again, my mom is so grateful to avoid the dentist now except for regular visits.

Also, not sure if this helps, but can you put money into an FSA for your dental bills?