PDA

View Full Version : Please motivate me..

niccig
05-19-2015, 12:10 AM
House is a disaster and to do list is HUGE after 4 years of graduate school and no time. I've had a week off, so I need to get started on things before I start work in August. But I just can't get motivated. HELP ME!!

Mermanaid
05-19-2015, 09:25 AM
You've put a lot of time and energy into school. Take a few weeks and enjoy yourself! Why don't you create a list of everything you want to do. Then, make a schedule beginning in June of what you will do each week. That gives you more play time and an outline of what you hope to accomplish.

SnuggleBuggles
05-19-2015, 09:35 AM
What always helps me is to get on the phone to someone when I need to clean. No phone = temptation to watch tv, surf online...

abh5e8
05-19-2015, 11:05 AM
I say, take another week off. :) it takes time to unwind after your school schedule. Then, take on one, small, tiny! task every day. Feel awesome about finishing it. Pick another for the next day. Rinse and repeat.

vludmilla
05-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Take another week off and actively use the time to enjoy yourself. You deserve it!!!

Twoboos
05-19-2015, 11:39 AM
After you relax for a bit longer ;) make the list and then knock of the easier/smaller tasks first. Then you've accomplished something and might feel more motivated to go after the bigger ones.

Congrats on finishing school!! :cheerleader1:

Globetrotter
05-20-2015, 04:27 PM
I also do the phone thing! I put on a headset and start organizing, and it really makes the time fly by. Of course, you have to have people who are available to talk at that time, but I have a few to call. If that isn't an option, i put on upbeat music. I put my file cabinet in the family room (covered with a decorative cloth) and I organize paperwork while I watch TV. I still put it off as long as possible, but when i do it, it is less taxing.

I would start with the least offensive tasks and hope you get in the mood. Once I START, I always want to keep going as I start to see results.

I would do a clean sweep before doing anything, though, as I have recently had the epiphany (from the Konmari book) that there is no point organizing things I don't need! It will also make your organizing easier as you will have more space for everything.

That said, you deserve a break before you get started! I have followed your journey and I know you have put a heck of a lot of hard work into your schooling. Congratulations!!

hellokitty
05-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Listen to podcasts while you clean and declutter. That is the one thing that makes it bearable.