PDA

View Full Version : Critique cleaning schedule

niccig
05-25-2015, 05:09 AM
I posted in the lounge about cleaning schedules when both parents work, as many of the schedules I've found are for 1 parent being home and are more intense than we can do when I start working. I'm getting the house back into shape, then want to trial a regular cleaning schedule. The plan is on each week day do about 30 mins of the assigned chore, sometimes it may not get all finished or may be missed, but hopefully it gets done on the weekend or the next time it's scheduled. This is more of a guideline, as I can live with some things being skipped e.g. the hardwood floors don't need to be mopped every week. I don't want our weekends to be full of cleaning, which is how it's currently been and then things don't get done. I included some monthly/yearly chores as there are things that just get missed in this house, or need to happen more often to keep things under control. If I can't do everything, I can do some of the chore, then pick up the rest next time e.g. if I only do doors/baseboard/moldings in the bedrooms, I can do rest of the rooms next time it's on the list - it'll be done more often than it is now.

Let me know what you think.

Cleaning Schedule

Daily
Make beds
Wipe bathroom counter
Empty dishwasher - morning
Load dishwasher - evening
Kitchen Counter
Sweep/mop kitchen
Sort mail
Pick-up

Weekly
Monday: Vacuum/mop
Tuesday: Dust
Wednesday: Swing chore, Take out trash
Thursday: Bathroom toilets, mirrors, tub
Friday: Put away paperwork, Catch-up
Saturday: Laundry, Yearly chore
Sunday: Laundry, Yearly chore

Swing Chore: Monthly
1st: Clean oven, microwave and fridge
2nd: Wipe down furniture, cabinet doors
3rd: Dust blinds, change the air filter
4th: Wipe down baseboards, doors, moldings, spider webs

Yearly
Jan: Wipe inside kitchen/bathroom cabinets/drawers
Feb: Organize closets/pantry
Mar: Garage / Garden Shed
Apr: Wash windows/sills
May: Wipe down walls
June: Carpet, sofa cleaned (call cleaner), Move fridge
July: Organize closets/pantry
Aug: Back to work projects
Sept: Garage / Garden shed
Oct: Wash windows/sills
Nov: Wipe down walls
Dec: Carpet cleaned (call cleaner), Clean leather furniture

KrisM
05-25-2015, 10:16 AM
I think it looks good. If you can do most of it most weeks skipping a week won't make it awful. I don't clean every toilet every week. I do the downstairs weekly, but the upstairs are fine to go 2 weeks. So, you might have some leeway and easier days as well.

For the yearly list, most won't take a month of weekends, right? So are the other weekends just open time? I think that would be nice or to have a to-do list with some priorities so when you have a Saturday afternoon open, you can look at the list and decide to do something.

niccig
05-25-2015, 12:10 PM
I think it looks good. If you can do most of it most weeks skipping a week won't make it awful. I don't clean every toilet every week. I do the downstairs weekly, but the upstairs are fine to go 2 weeks. So, you might have some leeway and easier days as well.

For the yearly list, most won't take a month of weekends, right? So are the other weekends just open time? I think that would be nice or to have a to-do list with some priorities so when you have a Saturday afternoon open, you can look at the list and decide to do something.

Most of the yearly tasks won't take the month of weekends. We will have other things to do, like yard work or other projects, and weekend sports takes up time too. I just want to try to get to some things on a semi-regular basis, so there's less dirt built up and takes less time to do.

BDKmom
05-25-2015, 12:19 PM
I think this looks pretty doable. I might use this myself. Only modification I would suggest is swapping Monday vacuum and Tuesday dust. If you dust on Monday, then anything that stirs up that ends up on the floor can be vacuumed or mopped on Tuesday.

tmahanes
05-25-2015, 01:23 PM
I really like this list... DH and I have been talking about trying something like this.

I downloaded an app that a friend really liked that this would work great with. I haven't messed with it much but it is set up like your list. Chore checklist - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotnetideas.chorechecklistfull&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorgani c%26utm_term%3Dchore+checklist+app&pcampaignid=APPU_1_qFpjVaTZDuiwsAS2zYCICQ

I haven't bought the full app yet but I think I am going to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

niccig
05-26-2015, 01:21 AM
I think this looks pretty doable. I might use this myself. Only modification I would suggest is swapping Monday vacuum and Tuesday dust. If you dust on Monday, then anything that stirs up that ends up on the floor can be vacuumed or mopped on Tuesday.

I like swapping those too. I can also see tweaking things once I know DS's sports practice schedule, as on those days I may have less time. It will also depend on when I get home from work, I'm hoping for around 4.30pm. Typically when we get home, we vege out, DS finally gets to homework and I get to dinner around 6.30, so surely in those 2 hours, I can find 20-30 mins to get something done. I'm stashing cleaning supplies in both bathrooms, so doing those won't take as long.

niccig
05-26-2015, 01:27 AM
I really like this list... DH and I have been talking about trying something like this.

I downloaded an app that a friend really liked that this would work great with. I haven't messed with it much but it is set up like your list. Chore checklist - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotnetideas.chorechecklistfull&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorgani c%26utm_term%3Dchore+checklist+app&pcampaignid=APPU_1_qFpjVaTZDuiwsAS2zYCICQ

I haven't bought the full app yet but I think I am going to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nice app. I think I'll also need the list on the fridge, so I can see it or go "oh, it's Monday, time to do x" while DS is watching a show or doing homework.

specialp
05-26-2015, 07:33 AM
One suggestion. I organize and put paper work up on Wednesday and dust on Thursday. It is easier for me to dust when all paper work is put away and surfaces are free. Otherwise, I find myself putting stuff up rather than dusting.

niccig
05-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Good suggestion about changing when I do paperwork. I meant the papers that hang around from DS etc. DH does the bills, so all of that is done.