PDA

View Full Version : Digger land

DualvansMommy
05-26-2015, 07:41 AM
Has anyone been to diggerland in NJ? I'm looking for recs from anyone who stayed nearby at a hotel with pool?

I only just found out diggerland had a water park next door last night, so now thinking of doing this as weekend escape to celebrate DS1 birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candaceb
05-26-2015, 09:12 AM
We haven't been yet but hope to go this summer. We were going to go last summer but realized DS was too short for most of the rides. Under 42", there isn't a lot to do.

Mikey0709
05-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Haven't been to Diggerland yet - but late last summer we went to Sahara Sam's next door. It was ok. REALLY crowded the day we were there which made it tough. It wasn't even the warmest day - so i can't imagine how crazy that place CAN get. It was our first experience with an indoor/outdoor water park. We actually won tickets - - which was great because the food was OUTRAGEOUSLY priced, and then they have a full arcade which also sucked the $$$ out of us. They make it hard to avoid cause you have to walk through to get in/out. Also $10 fee plus $20 deposit to rent a locker.... and even though i think we paid cash - the deposit goes back onto your credit card - - OR they make you a better deal for arcade credit (so we kissed that $20 goodbye). HOneslty i think EVERYONE kissed their deposits away in the arcade :(

Not sure i'll be returning to Sahara Sam's anytime soon - but we REALLY REALLY want to try Diggerland so we're hoping someone has a great review on it. I think my kids would be more into that kind of stuff rather than a waterpark. One nice thing about Sahara Sams though - is that they do sensory-friendly days a few times a year.

lizzywednesday
05-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Friends from back home went with their sons last year.

I think the moms had a better time than some of the kids, but, overall, I heard it was fun.

Do look for coupons, though. It's kind of pricey for what you're getting, IMO.

musicalgrl
05-26-2015, 09:41 PM
I remember reading somewhere - maybe a comment on FB - that 7/8 is a good minimum age. I was glad to hear that ahead of time because I had been thinking of taking mine and now I think they are still too young. But it's on our list of things to do in a few years. Sounds like fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
05-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one to read this title as "Duggar Land"... :rolleye0014:

NCGrandma
05-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one to read this title as "Duggar Land"... :rolleye0014:

Nope, you're not!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

candaceb
05-30-2016, 10:03 PM
For the third summer in a row, we are talking about going to Diggerland. I think it may really happen this time because we are moving to the midwest this summer and I really think DS will love it.
Has anyone been yet?

Philly Mom
05-30-2016, 10:35 PM
My neighbors have been twice. Their boys really love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Mikey0709
05-31-2016, 09:05 AM
Ok - i did the review on sahara sams above - - but during Spring break we FINALLY made it to Diggerland. It's a small park - but MAN it was right up our alley.... my boys LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I have to say that spring break was probably the BEST time to go.... the crowds were low, and it wasn't too hot. I'm not sure i would go there in the middle of summer. Some of the rides and attractions definitely have a long wait, and the whole park is in the sun. I imagine it get VERY hot there. My 8 year old was able to do everything himself, and my 6 year old did MOST himself, but still had to ride with me for one or two things. My HUSBAND loved the place - in fact they just opened Diggerland XL for adults ONLY!!! I can see this being popular - hate to say i wanted to drive all the diggers myself!

We probably spent about 4 hours there. We ended up packing a lunch and snacks and eating in the parking lot - again food and arcade were pricey and we were finding a way around it THIS time.

Again, the place wasn't too big, but they are always expanding I believe. It was very clean and seemed well run. I actually thought we would get dirty - but totally not the case at all. This is one where we WOULD go back. It's definitely different that a ride amusement park - and that is why we really liked it.

But my recommendation - pick a day that is NOT too hot.... or an overcast or rainy day even! And get tickets online or sign up for their email - - they always give coupons. I think tickets may have been around $25/person.

Mikey0709
05-31-2016, 09:06 AM
Ok - i did the review on sahara sams above - - but during Spring break we FINALLY made it to Diggerland. It's a small park - but MAN it was right up our alley.... my boys LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I have to say that spring break was probably the BEST time to go.... the crowds were low, and it wasn't too hot. I'm not sure i would go there in the middle of summer. Some of the rides and attractions definitely have a long wait, and the whole park is in the sun. I imagine it get VERY hot there. My 8 year old was able to do everything himself, and my 6 year old did MOST himself, but still had to ride with me for one or two things. My HUSBAND loved the place - in fact they just opened Diggerland XL for adults ONLY!!! I can see this being popular - hate to say i wanted to drive all the diggers myself!

We probably spent about 4 hours there. We ended up packing a lunch and snacks and eating in the parking lot - again food and arcade were pricey and we were finding a way around it THIS time.

Again, the place wasn't too big, but they are always expanding I believe. It was very clean and seemed well run. I actually thought we would get dirty - but totally not the case at all. This is one where we WOULD go back. It's definitely different that a ride amusement park - and that is why we really liked it.

But my recommendation - pick a day that is NOT too hot.... or an overcast or rainy day even! And get tickets online or sign up for their email - - they always give coupons. I think tickets may have been around $25/person.

candaceb
06-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all of the input - we are actually going this time! We are driving down Friday after school and then we will go to Diggerland Saturday, Franklin Institute Sunday, and Crayola Experience on the way home on Monday.

gymnbomb
06-09-2016, 10:19 AM
I had never heard of this before, but I am putting it on our to do list when DS is old enough to be able to do everything!

candaceb
06-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Diggerland was awesome!
We had a great time. I signed up for their emails and got a code for $5 off, plus got the discount for buying online, so tickets were $25 each.
We got there 10 minutes before they opened and that was perfect. We got our sunblock on, got ourselves organized and were standing at the gates when they opened. For the first hour, there were no lines at all. It started to get hotter, and the lines got longer for a few things that only had one machine operating and could only take a few people at a time. We skipped things that looked like they were going to be a long wait but still had plenty to do. DS was only able to do the mini diggers, mini land rovers, and carousel without an adult, but he loved it anyway. At almost 6 and about 45", he was totally fine. It would not be worth taking a kid under 42" there.
We ate breakfast on the way there at Mount Royal Bagel Co. - I definitely recommend it if it is on your way. Since we got there when they opened and ate a late breakfast, we avoided the food issue. We were ready to go at 1:30 and just getting ready for lunch then. We brought water bottles and that was definitely a good idea - bottled water was $3.75!
We stayed at the Mt. Laurel Westin, which was not up to Westin standards but had a pool and was overall OK.
We also did the Franklin Institute with the Pixar Exhibit, and on the way home we went to the Crayola Experience in Easton PA. Overall it was a great weekend trip and we enjoyed it.

123LuckyMom
06-14-2016, 04:37 PM
Diggerland was awesome!
We had a great time. I signed up for their emails and got a code for $5 off, plus got the discount for buying online, so tickets were $25 each.
We got there 10 minutes before they opened and that was perfect. We got our sunblock on, got ourselves organized and were standing at the gates when they opened. For the first hour, there were no lines at all. It started to get hotter, and the lines got longer for a few things that only had one machine operating and could only take a few people at a time. We skipped things that looked like they were going to be a long wait but still had plenty to do. DS was only able to do the mini diggers, mini land rovers, and carousel without an adult, but he loved it anyway. At almost 6 and about 45", he was totally fine. It would not be worth taking a kid under 42" there.
We ate breakfast on the way there at Mount Royal Bagel Co. - I definitely recommend it if it is on your way. Since we got there when they opened and ate a late breakfast, we avoided the food issue. We were ready to go at 1:30 and just getting ready for lunch then. We brought water bottles and that was definitely a good idea - bottled water was $3.75!
We stayed at the Mt. Laurel Westin, which was not up to Westin standards but had a pool and was overall OK.
We also did the Franklin Institute with the Pixar Exhibit, and on the way home we went to the Crayola Experience in Easton PA. Overall it was a great weekend trip and we enjoyed it.

Thanks for this review!!! I had never heard of Diggerland, but it's on the radar now. We'll wait to go until DD has a little more height. Do you think this might be a good April vacation stop combined with a few days in Philadelphia, or is it summer only? I really don't like to be out in humid heat!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

ShanaMama
06-15-2016, 01:05 AM
I've been to Diggerland twice now. I agree with the pp, of your DC is too short it's just a tease. The park is very well run & organized. It's pretty clear on the website what rides you can go on at what height.
The two times I went were holidays, and it was craaazy busy. So definitely avoid that. They actually plan for spring break and popular times like Passover break- you can see it on the website.
Quite a few of the rides accommodate only one or two people and last a decent few minutes. Which means that the ride is fun, but the wait isn't. I can't stress enough to go at a low traffic time. We were there for several hours and only did 2-3 rides. The concept is super cool and the show is great too. We will probably keep going back.
PS- my DH is a contractor and we can visit diggers for free any day. He's still happy to pay plenty of $$ to let his little boy sit on his lap and operate an excavator. :)