PDA

View Full Version : I want to talk to my husband alone...

lalasmama
05-28-2015, 10:53 PM
I want to talk to my husband, alone. This shouldn't take planning, sneaking around, or other activities that make it seem like we're adulterous lovers instead of husband and wife.

We have long-term houseguests right now, and they (mostly the teen) must be in the middle of every.single.flipping.conversation.

We've started taking walks around the neighborhood, clearly stating that it's husband/wife time, just so we can talk about our work day without having anyone interrupt! This is ridiculous!

BunnyBee
05-28-2015, 11:31 PM
I have resorted to texting my DH from the same room. It is maddening! Can the guests at least babysit for you to go elsewhere? Date night every night! ;)

lalasmama
05-29-2015, 12:16 AM
I have resorted to texting my DH from the same room. It is maddening! Can the guests at least babysit for you to go elsewhere? Date night every night! ;)

We text a LOT! It's the only way to communicate most of the time...

happymom
05-29-2015, 12:33 AM
That does not sound fun! My MIL was just telling me about her neighbor whose elderly mother moved in with them, along with her aide. MIL frequently sees the husband and wife walking up and down the block just talking, and they told her it's the only way to have a private conversation these days! Must be hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SummerBaby
05-29-2015, 03:12 PM
I feel the same way only I don't have house guests! Just a very nosy almost 11 year old who listens to every.single.thing we say!!!!!!!

niccig
05-29-2015, 03:27 PM
I feel the same way only I don't have house guests! Just a very nosy almost 11 year old who listens to every.single.thing we say!!!!!!!

This is us. We're talking in the car and DS wants to know what we're talking about. You.don't.need.to.know.everything!!

Indianamom2
05-29-2015, 04:56 PM
We will go in the bedroom and lock the door! Or course, we have a 5 and 10 year old....I hope when they are teens they don't still do this!

kdeunc
05-29-2015, 08:38 PM
This is us. We're talking in the car and DS wants to know what we're talking about. You.don't.need.to.know.everything!!

I feel your pain. My standard answer is "when I am speaking to you I will call you by name otherwise none of your business". Nosy does not even begin to describe him! :)

liz
05-29-2015, 08:53 PM

I feel your pain. My standard answer is "when I am speaking to you I will call you by name otherwise none of your business". Nosy does not even begin to describe him! :)

Add me to the club! DH and I were just talking about this at dinner. It seems like every time we talk about something potentially private we can see DS just standing there listening-drives us batty! It's not that we're hiding secrets here, but we do have to watch what we say sometimes.

lalasmama
05-30-2015, 12:04 AM

We have the nosy, indelibly-minded 11yo too... But at least when she gets in the middle of DH and I having a disagreement, we can tell her it's none of her business and she needs to butt out! It's harder with the houseguests; I'm trying my best to be polite!

123LuckyMom
05-30-2015, 09:56 PM
We have the nosy, indelibly-minded 11yo too... But at least when she gets in the middle of DH and I having a disagreement, we can tell her it's none of her business and she needs to butt out! It's harder with the houseguests; I'm trying my best to be polite!

Text. Seriously! We just spent a week with all of us holed up in the same room while there we were doing some construction in the house, and the only way DH and I could stay sane was by having secret texting conversations. It was fun!

janine
06-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Well I hadn't considered texting, but we've been in this boat for ever. Our kids stay up late and when we talk, it's like a competition of who can talk the loudest (ie they suddenly need to talk to each other at high decibel levels). So then we end up talking only when very urgent, not good I know.

Hope it gets better for you as I have no suggestions sadly!