PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles w/ 2 boys 8 & 11 this summer

hellbennt
06-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Ok we'll be at SIL's apt., venice beach, she's single w/o kids (fun/cool auntie)...

about a week…10 days (what oh what will we DO? dh just bought plane tix on a whim - and while I'm thrilled to go somewhere, I'm also
nervous about what we'll do…we're from miami and yes the beach is nice, and different…but I'd like to explore the local flavor...

We need things to do, action-packed adventures, mellow outings, sights to see, etc.

what are the must-dos? the don't-waste-your-time things?

we'll have access to her car - the boys are 8 & 11 (they're turning 8 & 12 in July if that matters,:love-retry:)

So spam me. Yes, I've googled 'things to do in LA w/ kids…'
(www.laweekly.com/arts/10-fun-la-things-to-do-with-kids-that-dont-suck-for-grownups-4473053)

from above link:

skate land looks fun?

LACMA? Metropolis I (http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/metropolis-ii)I ?

Getty Center?

LA zoo?

Griffith Park?

traveling rings (http://travelingrings.org/about/where-are-the-traveling-rings/), santa monica?

china town?

any public pools? any hotel pools to crash (not sure how to do that, lol)? water parks? zip lining? what am I missing?

TIA,

laura

sariana
06-02-2015, 08:20 PM
CA Science Center: Admission is free, though special exhibits cost money. But the regular museum is really cool even without doing any of the special stuff. (Don't know if the space shuttle interests you since you're from Florida, but the Endeavour is there. It costs a couple of dollars, I think.)

La Brea Tar Pits: Nominal cost. There is an interesting museum, and you can tour the asphalt pits themselves. (There isn't actually any tar.)

Yes to Griffith Park, and the observatory.

I don't know LA all that well, but my kids enjoyed these things.

hellbennt
06-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Yay! Thanks. Feel free to add things like in & out burger, etc - best place for dim sum? Fish tacos (that's an LA thing, right?)? Home made ice cream...I'm getting hungry, ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.infantreflux.org

lfp2n
06-03-2015, 11:06 AM
We went for a couple of days last summer with my then 11 yr old on the way to coast further north. Griffith Park hike/Observatory was a great way to get oriented to city and see Hollywood sign etc. She loved strolling along Venice beach and seeing the craziness. She thought Hollywood Blvd, stars, Graumanns was OK but not great. For some reason she really liked walking along Rodeo Drive looking at Celebs cars even though shes not into high end shopping and prob has no idea who the celebs were. We didn't have time to do much.

hellbennt
06-03-2015, 08:25 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.infantreflux.org

Tenasparkl
06-03-2015, 11:29 PM
I'll come back with more ideas (and food suggestions), but a few quick thoughts:

If you want a pool to swim in then a good (and close) option is the Annenberg Beach House. There's a nice big pool right by the beach in Santa Monica with a decent playground, snack bar, splash pad etc.

What about a Dodger game?

hellbennt
06-04-2015, 08:42 PM
thanks! keep 'em coming! I'll look into the Annenberg Beach House and a Dogers game is a good idea!
I'll look into the Science Center and all of the suggestions :)

bigsis
06-05-2015, 12:42 AM
My kids are about the same age as your kids. They enjoy:
CA Science Center
The Getty Center (& The Getty Villa)
Skateland
Ports o' Call (in San Pedro)
CityWalk

I'll try to think of more places. And yes, In & Out is a must! :)

Aishe
06-05-2015, 03:33 AM
Another vote for the Science Center, and the Natural History Museum, which is next door. I don't think the zoo is a must see, but we don't love zoos in general. My kids have always enjoyed the Autry Museum, which is also in Griffith Park. They have a little area where you can pan for gold, which my kids always get a thrill out of for some reason. They also really like LACMA, and you can get in for free (kids get a free membership and each child can bring one adult as their guest). Not a standard choice for kids, but mine love the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena (it has a good audio tour for kids). You might not want to drive that far though. Chinatown is ok, but if you're going there to eat you're better off going to the San Gabriel Valley, which is widely considered to have the best Chinese food in the country. Din Tai Fung in Arcadia has AMAZING dumplings. It's my kids' favorite restaurant. I know everyone loves In & Out, but I actually prefer Fatburger. Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is fun. Pazzo Gelato in Silver Lake is deeelish. Jeni's Ice Cream recently opened in Los Feliz. I haven't been, but it gets rave reviews. Hollywood Blvd is not that exciting and frankly kind of gross (although better than it used to be!). Oh, more ice cream: Mashti Malone's in Hollywood. So good and unlike anything else. The toy district in downtown is kind of fun. I'll post more if I think of anything.

mom2binsd
06-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Go down to Newport to Balboa Island for lunch and the afternoon. Newport Beach the beach is nice.

The Warner Bros tour is awesome, you book ahead and it's so neat to see the sets, they are old enough to appreciate it.

Day trip to Solvang, the little Danish town north, even spend the night up there.

If they like Shrimp, go up PCH to Malibu to the cool little place called Neptune's Net...http://www.yelp.com/biz/neptunes-net-malibu-5, Malibu is also pretty neat and some fun beaches up there too.

bigsis
06-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Chinatown is ok, but if you're going there to eat you're better off going to the San Gabriel Valley, which is widely considered to have the best Chinese food in the country. Din Tai Fung in Arcadia has AMAZING dumplings. It's my kids' favorite restaurant.
I was going to say the last time I was in Chinatown a couple of years ago, it was totally dead. Maybe they're attempting to revitalize it.

Aishe--Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. I've heard SGV is the new Chinatown, but had NO idea where to go. I'll have to check it out.

Aishe
06-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I was going to say the last time I was in Chinatown a couple of years ago, it was totally dead. Maybe they're attempting to revitalize it.

Aishe--Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. I've heard SGV is the new Chinatown, but had NO idea where to go. I'll have to check it out.

This might give you some more restaurant ideas. I haven't been to any of these places so I can't personally vouch for them, but they sure sound intriguing!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/san-gabriel-valley-los-angeles-best-bites-tour.html

One note about Din Tai Fung: no matter when you go there will be a wait. So to at least minimize that we always go between meal times, like around 3-4 pm. They also have a new location in Glendale, but I've never been so I don't know how the wait times compare.

hellbennt
06-06-2015, 03:44 PM
yay! thanks! I'm loving this and YOU :)

hellbennt
06-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Looking at Groupon this am (code EPIC3 gets you 20% off local deals):
AdventurePlex? yay or nay?

theriviera
06-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Is that the one one on Manhattan Beach? I think it's fun for locals but I wouldn't make a special trip for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk