PDA

View Full Version : What would you wear to a 40th bday party?

ourbabygirl
06-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Not feeling the most pretty or fashionable right now after having a baby and being a SAHM for many years :bag…. I have a 40th bday party coming up, and I'm wondering what I should wear. It's probably 'dressy' casual, I guess, at the people's house, with no kids invited. :) Temps will probably be in the 70s, I'm guessing, though I should probably figure out an outfit for cooler or hot weather (like 80). I'm guessing DH will wear a polo shirt and jeans.

I have skinny or boot cut jeans (nothing really trendy, just ON) in a dark wash or black skinny ponte pants (probably too warm for those). Would like to find some white jeans, but not sure if those are still in style or if I have time to go shopping and get a pair that fits well in time (plus not feeling great about my legs and wider hips since having a baby… all my old stuff doesn't fit anymore). I have a pair of khaki shorts and black shorts, but they just barely fit still.

I guess I'm mostly feeling pretty body-conscious right now since I have 10-15 pounds to lose and will be seeing people I haven't seen in about a year (before getting pregnant), and I'd like to look nice & put together.
Any suggestions for an outfit that's in style, or something that looks more slimming? :loveeyes: And what looks cute for hot weather? I'll probably wear some wedge strappy sandals.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2015, 11:19 PM
It's summer. I wouldn't do jeans or shorts. I'd do a cute skirt and t/ tank or a sundress.

HannaAddict
06-04-2015, 01:10 AM
I would not do jeans or shorts either and look for a cute dress or skirt and blouse. Wrap styles are very forgiving too.

ett
06-04-2015, 01:14 AM
It's summer. I wouldn't do jeans or shorts. I'd do a cute skirt and t/ tank or a sundress.

:yeahthat:

liz
06-04-2015, 10:39 AM
We've had some cooler weather recently, so the skinny jeans or ponte pants you were talking about don't seem too hot for those temps. Can you pair those pants with a cute, trendy top? Add some fun jewelry like a statement necklace or large earrings/bracelets. Find some cute sandals and you're all set! There's a lot of inexpensive items you could find at Target or Old Navy- lots of dresses there too. A 40th party sounds like a fun casual affair to me.

acmom
06-04-2015, 03:04 PM
I would look for a cute sundress! There are so many different styles so I'm sure you will be able find something that you are comfortable and feel good in! I was just in our Loft the other day and they have lots of cute dress options that are affordable. Easy to add a denim jacket or little sweater if the weather is cooler.

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2015, 03:25 PM
We've had some cooler weather recently, so the skinny jeans or ponte pants you were talking about don't seem too hot for those temps. Can you pair those pants with a cute, trendy top? Add some fun jewelry like a statement necklace or large earrings/bracelets. Find some cute sandals and you're all set! There's a lot of inexpensive items you could find at Target or Old Navy- lots of dresses there too. A 40th party sounds like a fun casual affair to me.

I just will do anything possible to avoid pants if I can conceivably get away with a dress or skirt. I have a cute denim jacket and lots of sweaters, etc... if I get cold. :)

ourbabygirl
06-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Everyone! Guess I'd better go look for a skirt or dress. :) One problem is I'm kind of bow-legged & have thick calves… should I look for a maxi dress? Not sure if I could find one for someone my height (~5'3")? And would that make me look shorter, anyhow?

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2015, 05:01 PM
If your legs truly bother you, then sure, get a maxi dress. But, I bet no one else would notice your imperfections. :). My friend is 5'1" and picked up a cute maxi dress at Ross. But, you can certainly find a good one in petite at many stores.

Mamabear4
06-04-2015, 06:44 PM
I'm short too and wear maxi dresses with tall wedges and they don't make me look shorter. With flats they would

mom2binsd
06-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Kohls has cute Maxi dresses in petite, I'm 4'11 and have one and it almost touches the ground with 3" heels, so you should be good as you're much TALLER than me!

TwinFoxes
06-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I think maxis can make short girls look taller, like they hav super long legs. Just don't get one with a weirdly placed waist.

carolinacool
06-05-2015, 10:22 AM

I went to a surprise 40th birthday party last month, and there were several women in cute skinny jeans, trendy tops and wedges or heels. Somebody had on white jeans with a teal shirt, and she looked fabulous. One girl has on a maxi halter dress, and another had on those soft shorts that are trendy right now with wedges. I wore a short dress with flat sandals because my ankles were hurting that day. It was held in a backyard with with a DJ and an evening event (went to 11 p.m.). We all looked appropriate.