PDA

View Full Version : Kraft mac & cheese - no more fake color/artificial flavors

Kestrel
06-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Kraft mac & cheese - no more fake color/artificial flavors

While I do think that, overall, this is a good thing... am I the only one who is buying up all of the old boxes I can find? I have no idea if DS will like the new formula.

and - you know - I want the same stuff I've eaten for decades! :)

What will I do when I can't find any more old boxes? How many years do you think they will keep???

Reader
06-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Have you tried the new stuff? We eat rice mac & cheese so we haven't had Kraft in a long time but I don't remember it tasting much different with annatto (that's what Annie's uses) than the food coloring version. I could be way off because I haven't had it in so long. Good luck! We are having mac and cheese for lunch today so I understand your stress over losing a favorite. Maybe it will be like Coke, where you can the original version in Mexico (but Costco carries it). Or maybe Canada?

scrooks
06-11-2015, 02:50 PM
I have heard that there is really no taste difference. Fwiw we switched from Kraft to Annie's years ago and my kids didn't notice. I'm actually excited because we may buy kraft once and awhile now...they tend to have all the current movie character shapes my kids like.

Liziz
06-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Lol, I get it! I buy Annie's for DD, but tried to buy a box of the "real stuff" (aka, the Kraft with all the dyes and junk!) recently for old time's sake...I loved that stuff as a kid (and well into my 20's, if I'm honest....)! Too bad I was foiled and unknowingly picked up a box of Kraft that was already one of their new formulations!! I was annoyed, and next shopping trip read the labels to find one that was still the old formula (and laughed at myself since I'm usually reading labels to make sure that stuff ISN'T in products!). I have to be honest....maybe it's just the slight difference in color or the knowledge of the difference, but I think they taste different. Not enough to worry about and I'll live just fine not having it anymore after they're all gone....but I hear you, it's different!

Also to your other question....I think that stuff will last for years. My mom used to buy pallets of the stuff when sales were good and it seemed to last fine! (Although I bet there's a real expiration/"use by" date printed on the boxes)

lizzywednesday
06-12-2015, 09:45 AM
I didn't have it often enough as a kid to tell the difference, but DH did ... and he didn't balk at eating the Star Wars-shaped stuff DD insisted we get when Target had them on "sale" a couple weeks ago.

He despises Annie's.

ladysoapmaker
06-16-2015, 05:41 AM
I do know the boxes last almost forever. Friends moved and found a box that was at least 10 years past expiration date. Those were bad the powder was brown. But I've had 5 year old stuff that was fine. I think it will depend on storage, heat, light, and humidity are bad, so store in a cool dry places.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk