PDA

View Full Version : Where do kid backpacks and coats go?

KrisM
06-11-2015, 06:30 PM
We used to have a nice working set up in our small mudroom, but now that everyone is bigger, it is not working as well. I'm looking for ideas. Maybe something that looks nice enough to be in the main entry way or dining room area of the house. I don't know if I want to move backpacks or coats out either. What do you use to keep it easy for kids to use and nice looking?

jgenie
06-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Ours are in our mudroom. Could you stagger hooks on the wall at different heights? Hooks on the wall or door inside a nearby closet?

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2015, 06:38 PM
A door. We put elfa in our front closet. It's a mess and it smells horrible. I'm so glad it has a door to contain the smell and vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boolady
06-11-2015, 07:26 PM
A door. We put elfa in our front closet. It's a mess and it smells horrible. I'm so glad it has a door to contain the smell and vision.

What does the elfa smell like? We have Elfa in both master closets and have never noticed an odor. Should I be concerned that we will as the pieces age?

DualvansMommy
06-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Could you get a multi hook over door hanger to hang over your mud room door? It's what we did in our small mud room. We already have permanent wall hook with shelving above it, but it's too high for my boys to hang their stuff. I use that for the family coats, backpack, etc.

Door hook will be our seasonal stuff. Ie summer towels, beach bag, swimsuits and switch them to heavy winter gear.

vludmilla
06-11-2015, 07:33 PM
What does the elfa smell like? We have Elfa in both master closets and have never noticed an odor. Should I be concerned that we will as the pieces age?

Not the OP but I bet tge smell is related to shoes and such. Our coat closet can get funky because of sweaty kiud shoes. We have both new and old elfa and none of it smells.

hillview
06-11-2015, 07:45 PM
we have a ton of elfa and it does not smell. It is all wire not wood.

We have some awesome hooks from Container store (not elfa) for backpacks and coats.

KrisM
06-11-2015, 08:25 PM
I have tried to stagger the hooks. The one corner in the mudroom has 32" walls, so not big and then of course stuff at the corner interferes with the stuff on the other wall. We have an over the door hanger with pockets for sunscreen, bug sprays, sunglasses in summer and gloves/hats in winter. We have hooks on the garage door for snowpants in the winter and swim stuff in the summer. The other doors are either pocket doors or bifold.

The kids each have a basket for their shoes and that works pretty well, but now the coats and backpacks are hitting the tops of the baskets making them get used less :(.

The closet is under used for sure. It's a mess of stuff - winter stuff in the summer time, a cooler for the beach, rain gear, hiking boots, lawn mowing shoes, my shoes, squirt guns, and I try to keep the hanging area clear for guest jackets.

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2015, 09:11 PM

Lol- oh the elfa set up is the beautiful part!! It's the nasty shoes, bags, etc. that make the closet stink! ELFA is wonderful. 4-5 pairs of shoes each for 5 ppl is just a stinky mess.

boolady
06-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Lol- oh the elfa set up is the beautiful part!! It's the nasty shoes, bags, etc. that make the closet stink! ELFA is wonderful. 4-5 pairs of shoes each for 5 ppl is just a stinky mess.

Ok. Wasn't sure if the elfa off-gassed or something, but it sounds like you have a closet full of shoes that smell like DD's fuggs did this year. I can understand why you keep that door closed!

wendibird22
06-12-2015, 09:55 AM
At our back door entrance which has a mini foyer area we have a wooden wall rack that contains hooks. Backpacks and current season coat/fleece get hung there. We have a bench with lid beneath for the kids shoes. There is a standard closet in that space (the kind with sliding doors like in a bedroom) and we have a shoe rack in there for DH and me to use and off season coats hung there. We also have a hanging shoe rack in their (those clothe kind) that holds assorted hats, gloves, mittens, scarves, etc. This set up works well for the day to day use of the DDs.