PDA

View Full Version : Swim Shorts for Me?

azzeps
06-14-2015, 12:57 AM
Hi all,

Thinking about our upcoming trip where we will be at the lake, pools, water park, etc. and wondering about some swim shorts or board shorts for me? I got myself a rash guard from Old Navy.... but now I'm not sure what to wear under it. I'm a size 14, so can't go without something under the rash guard, but definitely not in bikini shape, HA! I would like to be more covered to protect my skin and not have to deal with as much sunscreen, but don't want to look like my Grandma! I was thinking some board shorts or swim shorts would be appropriate, but don't have a lot of time to shop.... may have to end up ordering a bunch on-line and hoping something will work and returning the rest. Also, board shorts sometimes have a lining and sometimes don't, but I don't really want to go commando underneath! Any you like and can recommend?

Thanks so much!

abh5e8
06-14-2015, 01:23 AM
I ordered lands end boy shorts, and I like them. They are like a bikini bottom, but with some thigh coverage. Swim suit material. I think they look cute with a rash guard.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

MMMommy
06-14-2015, 01:27 AM
Ditto on Lands' End brand for swim shorts. I like them, especially the tummy control!

citymama
06-14-2015, 04:48 AM
I would have recommended Athleta's Oceanside swim shorts but they appear to have replaced them with more fitted boy shorts. I love the Athleta swim shorts I've had if you can find a style that's less fitted - they have a higher rise and seem to flatten the belly while skimming over the thigh curves I'd prefer not to accentuate!

trcy
06-14-2015, 06:38 AM
Ditto on Lands' End brand for swim shorts. I like them, especially the tummy control!
:yeahthat: I love their swim shorts.

MelissaTC
06-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Nautica made an adorable navy boy short bottom last year that you can find online for less than $30. Some places have it at $20. It is my favorite bathing suit bottom. I have several and despite having several different bottoms, I always grab for these. I also saw some cute looking shorts yesterday at JC Penney. I don't regularly shop there so not sure if the sale prices will continue but their bathing suits were all 40% off.

pastrygirl
06-14-2015, 08:22 AM
I just got these and LOVE THEM.

http://www.jcpenney.com/zeroxposur-knit-board-shorts/prod.jump?ppId=pp5004950233&searchTerm=zeroxposur&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8

I've never been so happy with swim shorts before. I usually only wear Lands End suits, but I've been very happy with my JCP finds this year.

marinkitty
06-14-2015, 10:15 AM
I have a pair of Tommy Bahama board shorts (the short girly version) that I love. They are not a bathing suit bottom - I wear my bikini underneath, but they are a light, easy dry fabric and I have gone paddle boarding and surfing in them and they dry fast. I have a rash guard that matches and it makes a very cute outfit together. I like that they fit like real shorts - they don't hug.

gymnbomb
06-14-2015, 10:34 AM
I love the Lands End ones!

I have some similar to these that have a built in brief style lining so you just wear them (mine are from a few years ago -- this year's come in several different lengths): http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-aquasport-3-swimsuit-shorts/id_277077

I also have some similar to these which you need to wear another swim bottom under: http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-cover-up-shorts/id_277055

rlu
06-14-2015, 07:43 PM
I bought my rash guard and swim shorts from Big5 since I needed them next day. I like the swim shorts, although they are low rise. I bought the largest shirt they had (XL) and wish they had XXL as the shirt rises up a bit when I actually swim revealing my tummy, but it's underwater so who cares.

I feel more comfortable wearing the rash guard and swim shorts when around a bunch of kids now that DS is a pre-teen (tween?) That's my own issue, I realize, but a fact for me. I do plan to investigate LE for future purchases.

I wear a sport bra under the rash guard and microfiber underwear under the swim shorts.