PDA

View Full Version : MFP and Fitbit

urbanmommy
06-19-2015, 09:47 PM
I linked my Fitbit to MFP and I'm confused by how it works. I'm seeing different input on each app. For instance, on MFP it says I had 794 calories remaining before I input my dinner and on the Fitbit app it said I had 593 left. Why the discrepancy? Also, I don't see my steps or exercise on MFP unless I input them. I was using weight watchers for a while and I liked the way it synced with the Fitbit and awarded you extra points without you having to do anything. I really prefer MFP to weight watchers on all other fronts but I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if MFP and Fitbit don't play well together.

AnnieW625
06-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Honestly I think mfp way over estimates calories. I think the Fitbit and or the machines at the gym are a much better gauge of how many calories you burn, and how many extra calories you would want to replace with. When I have done mfp exclusively my weight has fluctuated like crazy and I find it hard to gauge exactly how many calories I need to be eating. I have done 1200, 1400, and some people on boards have even said I need 1800 calories, but then I feel like I am eating too much food. I burn about 250-300 calories each time I exercise at the gym, which averages about 4-5 days a week, but for the same activity mfp says I have burned 500 or so calories for the same activities. I mainly now use mfp to look up foods that aren't included in the Weight Watcher app. .

hellokitty
06-20-2015, 02:37 PM
I read an article recently that these activity tracker diet logs overestimate numbers, which makes pplnthink they can eat more calories than they should. I don't use the food tracker on my fitbit unless I'm just trying to figure out how many calories a meal is.

urbanmommy
06-20-2015, 02:54 PM
I read an article recently that these activity tracker diet logs overestimate numbers, which makes pplnthink they can eat more calories than they should. I don't use the food tracker on my fitbit unless I'm just trying to figure out how many calories a meal is.

That stinks that they do that.

I'm trying to lose 5-8 lbs and I'm having the hardest time doing it. I tried Weight Watchers for a couple months and got nowhere. I definitely think I was overcompensated with points for my activities and I was also eating way too much fruit. I just started MFP this week and I think the calorie approach makes more sense for me. MFP says I should eat 1280 calories (which is not enough) and then when I log my exercise it gives me a equal to the number of calories burned more for food intake (which is probably too much). I thought when I got on the scale this friday I would have seen some movement down but I'm stuck in the same place.

egoldber
06-20-2015, 03:10 PM
I don't use a Fitbit, but what I have seen in MFP is that is "double counts" activities. For example, on days that I run, the MapMyRun app tells the MFP app that I ran 3 miles and burned 350 calories. Then MFP realizes that I took 8000 steps that day and gives me a calorie adjustment (say 200) for that, BUT it is counting as part of that the 4000 steps that were part of my run. So it double counts the calories running steps. So it gives me a 550 calorie adjustment (350 + 200) vs the 450 (350 + 100) it should really be.

With MFP I just try not to eat any of the calories that I have "earned back" from activities and stick to the 1350 that it allots me daily. If you upgrade to MFP premium you can tell it not to add those calories in, but I am too cheap for that. :)