PDA

View Full Version : Please help me dress--1st post in this forum!

div_0305
06-30-2015, 11:12 AM
I haven't bought clothing in ages, but now after finally dropping weight, I need new clothes. DH gave away ALL my old clothes that I was "saving" in case one day I finally could fit into them again--he said they were old styled :shrug:. I'm still in the middle of my weight loss journey, but all my work and casual clothes look clownish on me. So, on a budget and for temporary use, please give me your top picks for casual and workplace casual wear.

I am heavy in the bust and hourglass shaped--I don't like it, so anything that does not accentuate my chest would be great. What styles should I look for as "flattering?" I don't understand the "roll" waist skirts--what do people like about them? I have yoga pants with that waist and they bunch up in the roll, making belly fat look worse. I don't like sleeveless styles because my underarms are darker than my normal skin. Was thinking to hit Kohls when I get a 30% physical coupon. I can't shop online because I don't know what size and how things will look on me, and am horrible about doing returns, but want new, not used clothing. Many TIA as I've asked too many questions here--so any tips/answers appreciated! :wavey:

ETA: My FAVORITE store which always had clothing that fit me well, and lasted, is no more--Casual Corner. I have not found a substitute for that place.

gymnbomb
06-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Do you have any guess as to what size or general size range you might be now? And what type of clothes do you prefer to wear to work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

div_0305
06-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Do you have any guess as to what size or general size range you might be now? And what type of clothes do you prefer to wear to work?

I think I'm a size 16 now, and to work, I like casual clothing--I don't need to wear a suit, so slacks, skirts, blouses, dresses are fine, but not capris/jeans etc.

NJ_Mom2011
07-01-2015, 05:46 AM
OP, you know how to get value out of your clothes! I would not be cheap, given that you wear your clothes for many years. You probably already know this from buying children's clothing, but due to arrival/popularity of fast fashion (H&M, Target clothes), clothes disintegrate much faster than when Casual Corner shut its doors.

I don't buy Eileen Fisher as it is too pricey but for someone like you who wears classic well made clothes for years, it makes sense. This clothing line is sold at Nordstroms (which has a super easy ordering) or Garnet Hill. If that's too pricey maybe Jones New York (sold at Macys, cheaper prices online at JNY.com) or Lands End (Sears). Also try Talbots. I like Talbots online lot better than in-store (much better selection) but Talbots does have many stores around the country.

If you buy alot of kids clothes, and have brands you love, the board members can direct you to the adult brand equivalents.

Melaine
07-01-2015, 06:38 AM
Do you happen to have a Nordstrom Rack? Since you are still losing weight, that would be a cheaper place to get some of the nice styles from Nordstrom. I always find great stuff, but much of it is too nice for SAHM daily life....would be better suited for work.

div_0305
07-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Ha ha! I guess you can tell how upset I am at having my favorite Casual Corner clothes be given away. My favorite shirtdress from Casual Corner, which I was really looking forward to wearing, is gone. DH swears he doesn't remember putting it in the Goodwill box, but..... Why hasn't some entrepreneur filled the gap that store left behind? This is funny, but for kids' clothes, I'm also out of luck---I liked Pumpkin Patch (now only online or a few pieces at Nordstrom) and Naartjie (out of business for now!). I guess I know how to pick brands that will go out of business.

I will go to Nordstrom Rack. I like Talbots--maybe once I'm down to my ideal size, I'll go back there. I think I should also check Marshalls/TJMaxx--sometimes BBB posters find great brands there, but not me. Now in my new size maybe I'll have more luck.

gymnbomb
07-01-2015, 11:20 AM
I like Talbots and Loft for work casual. I also read about great finds at Marshall's/TJMaxx, but do not have great luck there myself. Maybe I am not patient enough to look through all the racks? I buy more non-clothing items there.

Edit: I just donated a Casual Corner suit today and still have another in my closet :)

NJ_Mom2011
07-01-2015, 06:44 PM
It sounds like based on what you like with kids brands, I would go for Boden, Anthropologie, and Garnet Hill. Unfortunately, these brands are a bit pricey, but I think that you will get your money's worth given that you like wearing clothes for a long time.

ETA: Since you are on a budget, I guess Dress Barn. In terms of price and quality, it is not bad. But I just have a problem suggesting budget brands for you, as most of the budget brands have terrible quality, where the clothes disintegrate after a few washings. Someone who keeps clothes from Casual Corner just in my opinion knows the value of quality. ;-)

legaleagle
07-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Have you had a good bra fitting lately? Local boutique with lots of euro brands if you have one, Nordstrom if you don't. If you are busty a couple good bras will make such a difference in how things fit you should get that first before buying anything.

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2015, 07:48 PM
I think you'll like Lands End.

div_0305
07-01-2015, 09:39 PM
I think you'll like Lands End.

DH gives me a very hard time about my LE shirts--he says they look old lady-ish. Still, I do see dresses online that I might like, but am very bad about returns...

div_0305
07-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Have you had a good bra fitting lately? Local boutique with lots of euro brands if you have one, Nordstrom if you don't. If you are busty a couple good bras will make such a difference in how things fit you should get that first before buying anything.

I was thinking I should do this. The last bra fitting I had done was at Nordstrom and I walked out with a bra that I hated so much I never wore it. The sales lady talked me into it by saying how it accentuates my hourglass figure--I want a minimizer--I know it will push some boob under my armpit, but I can't stand the ladies looking like torpedoes. Will google a local boutique. I guess it would only fit for a few weeks while I continue to lose weight.

mikala
07-01-2015, 09:47 PM
I agree with the bra fitting suggestion. It will make a huge difference in how clothes from any retailer fit.

Given your requirements I'd look at Loft and Ann Taylor. Both have 40-50 percent off sales regularly so I'd sign up for their emails. If the sales aren't running in store when you shop you could always try on in store and take cell pictures of the items/item tags you want to buy and snag them in a week or two on sale. I've done that a few times to get things that fit well without paying full price.

div_0305
07-01-2015, 09:50 PM
It sounds like based on what you like with kids brands, I would go for Boden, Anthropologie, and Garnet Hill. Unfortunately, these brands are a bit pricey, but I think that you will get your money's worth given that you like wearing clothes for a long time.

:thumbsup: I will check these out when I'm looking for my "long-term" clothes after I get to an ideal size range :). After reading this forum some more, I checked out dresses on Modcloth--wow!--I really liked some classic styles on there, but again, the online shopping dilemma! My favorite dress on there is at a great sale price, too. My two size 16 pants I have are loose on me as of today, so I don't know what size to buy knowing I won't wear it for too long. I'm so determined with the weight and exercise now that I'm getting help from the right doctor. If anyone is curious, it was my thyroid which made the weight creep up and not be able to lose despite lots of exercise and eating clean. Turns out I have Hashimoto's--a diagnosis that was long overdue and took many wrong turns with doctors to reach.

div_0305
07-01-2015, 09:52 PM
I agree with the bra fitting suggestion. It will make a huge difference in how clothes from any retailer fit.

Given your requirements I'd look at Loft and Ann Taylor. Both have 40-50 percent off sales regularly so I'd sign up for their emails. If the sales aren't running in store when you shop you could always try on in store and take cell pictures of the items/item tags you want to buy and snag them in a week or two on sale. I've done that a few times to get things that fit well without paying full price.

Great idea with the cell picture and hopping back in later to get on sale!

baymom
07-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Given that these are transitional clothes, I would check out Gap, too. They have lots of sales and you will find things you could wear to your casual workplace. I agree with the Marshalls/TJMaxx suggestions. I have a few Lands End dresses that are really flattering (FYI, the sizing runs big) and maybe if you just check them out in person at Sears, you wont have to worry about returns--though their online selection is a lot more extensive. Congrats on the weight loss!

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2015, 10:31 PM
DH gives me a very hard time about my LE shirts--he says they look old lady-ish. Still, I do see dresses online that I might like, but am very bad about returns...

Without a doubt they have frumpy, poorly fitting, boxy, dull clothes. But, good things too. They have multiple fit options on most things. Aim for the narrowest cuts and lowest rises you are comfortable with.

MamaMolly
07-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Try, try, try on everything. You will be amazed at how 30 different trousers in the EXACT same size will all fit differently. If I were you I'd take a block of time to just go try on pants at Koles. It could take hours, but try on as many pairs as you can. Try a size up or size down. It's how I found my favorites, Lee's One True Fit.

Also, stalk Nordstrom Rack for NYDJ. You will need to find the style that looks best on you, but once you do? Love, true love!

MamaMolly
07-01-2015, 10:52 PM
And congrats on your weight loss!!!!!!!! :applause:

div_0305
07-02-2015, 11:38 AM
And congrats on your weight loss!!!!!!!! :applause:

Congrats on the weight loss!

Thanks! :signthankspin:

Ms B
07-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Talbots just started its Red Hanger sale and the deals usually are pretty good. If you can go to a location that stocks misses, petites, and women's/women's petites, you will have lots to choose from, plus once you know sizes that you need, you can order anything out of stock on the red phone in the store with a flat $5 shipping rate (although I buy on-line to use Ebates).

I am built like you and am short, so I do well there because I can get the regular petite pants/skirts and then buy women's petite tops and blouses that are cut for fuller busts.

Even if you are on a budget, you might do well there during the sales. They have some tailored ponte skirts that should be flattering and forgiving and some "waistless" pants that work within a 15 pound or so range (take it from someone who knows) that would be perfect for a business casual workplace!

Good luck!

Kindra178
07-03-2015, 11:15 AM
I have never heard of Casual Corner but Ann Taylor is a very easy place to get basic work separates. Like BR and Gap, they regularly have huge sales, like 50% off the entire site.

StantonHyde
07-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Do you have any consignment stores near you? You can often find nice things there at a lower price. I know lots of people who can go to TJ Max--I just get overwhelmed. I don't mind Nordies Rack though. I like Lands End for many things--mostly their dresses, which I wear to work.

While I like quality clothes too, the bottom line is that these are temporary clothes. So go to Kohls--I find things for work there all the time. I am just buying a piece here and there to update my classic stuff--but you could get your work clothes there. The only issue, IME, is pants. You have to pay more for pants that fit.

mommylamb
07-04-2015, 03:35 PM
I honestly think Ann Taylor on sale is less expensive than Casual Corner used to be back in the day.

As for bras, I just bought my first Soma bra and it is the most comfortable bra I've ever owned. I'm also busty and typically spend $$$ on bras, but this was less than $50 and it feels great so far, though of course I don't know how well it will hold up in the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
07-04-2015, 07:08 PM
I honestly think Ann Taylor on sale is less expensive than Casual Corner used to be back in the day.

As for bras, I just bought my first Soma bra and it is the most comfortable bra I've ever owned. I'm also busty and typically spend $$$ on bras, but this was less than $50 and it feels great so far, though of course I don't know how well it will hold up in the long term.

I bought my nursing bras from soma and washed them a ton (because I only had a few and they got milk on them all the time) and they held up very well.

div_0305
07-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Thanks! I'm going to check out SOMA as there's a store nearby. I saw online that they have minimizers. I have an AT Factory store nearby--do any of you find better deals there than at regular store's sales racks?

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2015, 02:02 PM
AT factory quality is different (not as good). They sometimes have true AT merchandise but you need to label read. You're better with sales at the regular store.

div_0305
07-06-2015, 05:01 PM
AT factory quality is different (not as good). They sometimes have true AT merchandise but you need to label read. You're better with sales at the regular store.

Good to know! Sounds like Banana Republic factory stores. If AT Loft is lower quality than AT, why have an AT Factory store?? Seems duplicative to me, or a marketing thing.

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2015, 05:03 PM
AT and Loft cater to different styles. I think of Loft as more casual and AT to be dressier and more business oriented.

gymnbomb
07-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Good to know! Sounds like Banana Republic factory stores. If AT Loft is lower quality than AT, why have an AT Factory store?? Seems duplicative to me, or a marketing thing.

Yes to what snugglebuggles said. AT is dressier styles/cuts/fabrics and probably ranges from business casual on up. Loft has more machine washable stuff and ranges more from casual up to business casual. The outlet versions of both are a bit lower in quality, but IMO many things there are just fine for transitional sizes. I buy from them fairly regularly, and some things are trendy 1-2 season clothes, but other items I have are 6+ years old and going strong in both style and durability.

JElaineB
07-06-2015, 08:07 PM
I am still in the middle of my weight loss journey myself, and Dress Barn and Kohl's are my go to stores right now. I do have a couple items from a Talbot's sale. I also get cheap casual/active wear from Walmart, like the Danskin items.

ExcitedMamma
07-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Just saw this thread, did SOMA work for you? They have great bras but I'm too busty for them so if they don't work for you check out Breakoutbras.com. They have the best bras and prices and amazing customer service, you can ask them for fit recommendations by phone or email. I also second AT Loft. I'm also an hourglass and I've really liked their clothes. Of course some do not work but you can find some great pieces. The prices do annoy me though, I think they start out full price and then get dramatically slashed to the point you can get a lot of clothes for a steal. For casual clothes I like Gap, my favorite right now is a three quarter sleeve boat neck shirt in tall. The tall really helps to add length so the shirts aren't too short with my chest. Check out the Athleta skorts. They're great for summer and definitely fit well even with a change in size so you wouldn't have to worry about buying another pair for awhile. Congrats on your weight loss! Don't be afraid to wear to some more fitted clothes, especially shirts, you'll look great and they'll last longer too if you lose more weight so they won't be hanging off of you so much.

div_0305
07-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Just saw this thread, did SOMA work for you? They have great bras but I'm too busty for them so if they don't work for you check out Breakoutbras.com. They have the best bras and prices and amazing customer service, you can ask them for fit recommendations by phone or email. I also second AT Loft. I'm also an hourglass and I've really liked their clothes. Of course some do not work but you can find some great pieces. The prices do annoy me though, I think they start out full price and then get dramatically slashed to the point you can get a lot of clothes for a steal. For casual clothes I like Gap, my favorite right now is a three quarter sleeve boat neck shirt in tall. The tall really helps to add length so the shirts aren't too short with my chest. Check out the Athleta skorts. They're great for summer and definitely fit well even with a change in size so you wouldn't have to worry about buying another pair for awhile. Congrats on your weight loss! Don't be afraid to wear to some more fitted clothes, especially shirts, you'll look great and they'll last longer too if you lose more weight so they won't be hanging off of you so much.

I'm hoping to get to SOMA this weekend. The bra I got at Nordstrom was good, but so uncomfortable after a couple hours. Thanks for tip on breakoutbras.com and the feedback on AT, Gap and Athleta. I need to find a convenient AT Loft so I can find time to go in frequently enough to check markdowns. I just got a physical 30% off coup for Kohls, too. Since you have the same bodyshape, what style dresses do you buy? My eye always goes for A-line/sheath with a great draping fabric.

ExcitedMamma
07-10-2015, 11:01 AM
I don't think I've worn dresses since having kids. Too much time spent in nursing bras and lifting up kids so I should probably try to add them back in now that DD is moving past the carry me everywhere stage. I agree with the A line/sheath type and whatever you call the type that are tighter on top and then more flowing at the hips. But it's so hard to find a good fit! I know with finding anything that appropriately covers my bust it can be hard to find a dress that also flatters by coming in enough to show off the waist and not cling to the hips. If you find some good ones please share!