PDA

View Full Version : San Diego itinerary help

Chitowngirl
07-24-2015, 03:40 PM
So we are going to San Diego in August. My DS will be just shy of three at that time. We have a general idea of the itinerary.

Day 1 - zoo
Day 2 - sea world
Day 3 - legand

These three don't have to be done in that order but have to be done in a row as I am purchasing 3 day go San Diego passes.

Day 4 - explore city/ go to beach
Day 5 - explore balboa park/children's museum/train museum/science center/ect.
Day 6 - ??????

So my question is are there any "must do" things that I have left off?

Also, and more important to me at this planning stage, of these things what is best to do on the weekend and what is best to do during the week. My goal would be to do the busiest/most crowded things during the week, but I'm not sure what is best on what day.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2015, 03:59 PM
What city exploring do you want to do? Can it be done in the evening after the zoo closes, for example?

I'd probably do a whole beach day or maybe the beach and Birch Aquarium. I love a relaxing day at the beach though.
You might be running on fumes by day 4 so that's the ideal beach day. I wouldn't try to fit in more sightseeing that day at all. You have 3 busy days before that.
Of those, definitely do the zoo during the week!! Granted, we were there in February but we tried to go to the zoo on a Sunday and the traffic to get in was massive! When we saw it, we decided the zoo could wait until Monday. We bailed on the traffic and returned the next day. The crowds were tiny in comparison.
We always make it a priority to get to parks between 8-10 (depending on opening time). I find most crowds really build between 10-12.
I'd probably do all 3 of your activities on the weekday.

Chitowngirl
07-24-2015, 08:14 PM
What city exploring do you want to do?

I'm not really sure. I've heard old town is nice as is the gas lamp district or la jolla (we will have a car). I've never been to San Diego so I'm fairly open to suggestions.

If we do a whole day at the beach is that a good thing to do on a weekend or do the beaches get packed too?

pinay
07-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Beaches are pretty crowded on the weekends if the weather is good, but it depends on where you go. Most beaches are fine if you get there before 10. I like Coronado because it's a huge beach but street parking can be a pain. It's a great little town to explore though, you can rent bikes and ride along the water, it's gorgeous and mostly flat so an easy ride.

If you do the museums in Balboa Park just steer clear on Tuesday because they have free admission for residents to different museums on a rotating schedule and it can get pretty insane. If you go to the Museum of Man they currently are allowing people to climb the tower there which I've wanted to do.

The Midway aircraft carrier is also a cool spot, lots of military planes on the deck and you can wander at your leisure or do an audio tour. Old Town is cute, but probably wouldn't last all day. I would probably combine it with a trolley ride downtown and you could check out Seaport Village or the Star of India.

sdjeppa
07-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Check the websites, but Sea World and the Zoo both have summer evening hours with special events. I haven't been this year yet, but the Zoo always has great acrobatic acts and performers spread through out the park, and I have always found the animals are really active right around sunset, and it's a beautiful time of day, so stay late if you can. Take a light jacket too - it does cool down! Sea World is open late and has fireworks.

Maritime museum/Star of India and the harbor area are fun for a few hours. The new Waterfront park is across the street. There is the Coronado ferry if you want to take a short boat ride that is always fun too and is in the same area.

A drive to La Jolla to see the seals at Children's cove is always fun too! Parking can be a pain, doesn't matter on the day or time.

marinkitty
07-27-2015, 11:06 AM
That's a pretty ambitious schedule with a three year old. I agree a down day at the beach is a great idea. Not weekend, if you can avoid it. So much busier. I love Torrey Pines - you can walk on the trails and along the beach. I also like Moonlight Beach in Encinitas - they have a playground that would be fun for your little one. Coronado would be a fun afternoon - explore, get ice cream, beach a little.

Chitowngirl
07-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the advice. It does seem like a lot, but we tour very leisurely. We may do the zoo, but we will probably leave early or even leave for a nap and go back later in the evening if that is feasible.

So, I'll save the zoo and stuff for a weekday, and it sounds like it would be best to save the beach too. So what is good for a weekend? Is that a good day to do balboa park since it avoids the problematic "free Tuesday's"? Would that be a good time to do Torrey pines?

marinkitty
07-27-2015, 05:38 PM
I'd do Torrey Pines either early or late. That way you won't be as hot on the trails. Early would be my preference because then you can have beach time, but being there for the golden hour early evening would be lovely too.

pinay
07-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Balboa park on the weekends is fun, there's often a puppet show going on at the theatre and the international houses are fun to walk through if they're open. The Spanish village area also has little artist studios that are cool to check out.

Torrey Pines has some hikes that would be easy enough for your 3 year old- I would drive up the hill and check the maps at the trailhead, then you can drive your car down to the bottom parking lot and hang out at the beach for a bit. Make sure you have hats and sunscreen, there's not a lot of shade on most of the trails. Bring your own food too, there aren't any amenities beyond bathrooms at the beach.

Zoo is open until 9, so you can definitely leave and come back. The different shows are fun to check out and if you aren't afraid of heights the skyfari ride gives you great views especially during dusk/sunset.

sariana
07-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Where are you staying? Legoland is quite a trek from the zoo and Seaworld, and the traffic is horrible every day of the week now. Just awful. So be sure to account for about an hour in the car each way if you're staying near the zoo/SeaWorld.

Someone mentioned the Midway, which I also would recommend except that my 7-year-old DD was afraid of the mannequins. So be aware they might seem "spooky" to your DS.

If he's like many 3 year olds, he may enjoy just riding the trolley--not to go anywhere in particular, just to ride.

Chitowngirl
07-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate the help. It's so hard to learn all these little practical tips just by reading online when you are trying to plan a trip somewhere you have never been!

AnnieW625
07-28-2015, 11:39 PM
I would stagger your activities or IMHO you will be tired and burnt out by day 4.

San Diego to Legoland is going against most of the traffic, although if Legoland closes at 5 or 6 and you are staying in the San Diego city limits then stay in Carlsbad for dinner because traffic in the pm going through Carlsbad till about the 805/I5 split can be brutal (even though most traffic in the pm goes south to north), it still gets bogged down for about that 10 mile stretch.

When we had Zoo passes we went on a Sunday with no issues and tbh I would do it again, but the Zoo does have special event days where it could be more crowded. The Zoo is really big and while I love it you could almost plan two days there. If you don't mind traveling with a Bob type jogger (or City Mini Elite) do so as you will be thankful with all of the hills and a 3 yr. old. We took our Maclaren Triumph for our then 4 yr. old last summer and for the long walks between areas I was grateful we had it.

The Chuldrens' Museum is in Downtown San Diego and my girls enjoyed it, but parking around there is kind of a pain (we stayed downtown and walked from our hotel).

If you go late enough in the month some San Diego schools might already be back in session.

I recommend the Homewood Suites in Sorrento Valley (it isn't near the beach, but near a business park) if you are unable to stay at the Homewood Suites Liberty Station, which books really far out.

The USS Midway is cool if you like airplanes and naval related things. We have been there three times and I don't think we have seen it all. We first took both of our girls before they turned 2 and they enjoyed it.

sariana
07-29-2015, 12:53 AM
Sorry to contradict Annie, but we live in south Orange County, and DH travels to San Diego on a regular basis. With all the construction right now, there is no such thing as "against the traffic." You might get lucky, but you should allow at least an hour to travel between Legoland and San Diego proper. It used to take DH about an hour and a half to get from Point Loma to our house in south OC. Now it always takes 3 hours or so. Much of the construction is north of San Diego county, but traffic can back up all the way through Pendleton and down into Carlsbad, which also has construction going on.

Not to be negative--we LOVE San Diego and always will. The trip is well worth it. But OP should be prepared, just in case.

Also be aware that we have been having crazy weather, with more thunderstorms predicted for later this week. Be sure to check the weather forecast and park policies regarding operations in bad weather.