PDA

View Full Version : Stroller advice for WDW

jgenie
07-26-2015, 12:33 AM
We're heading to WDW later this summer. Last time we were there I rented a double stroller. I'm trying to figure out what to do this go round. Renting was so easy - stroller was waiting for me when we arrived and I dropped it off at the front desk on our way out. I have a Mac Quest and travel bag I could take. I also have a single Bob but would need to get a travel bag for it. Any thought? TIA

rkold
07-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Does DS1 usually need a stroller or does he walk a lot? One option is you can just rent the WDW strollers in the park only. They're not great for kids 0-3 who really need a stroller but are fine for older kids who don't usually go in one and they do have doubles.

I've been debating whether to bring our Uppa G-luxe to WDW in Oct when DD is 5. I'm trying to encourage her to walk more, but when she gets tired she is a lot heavier and the temperatures in FL are much higher than here. I probably will bring it, but try to discourage its use when possible.

egoldber
07-26-2015, 11:44 AM
They're not great for kids 0-3 who really need a stroller but are fine for older kids who don't usually go in one and they do have doubles.

:yeahthat:

Last time we went, younger DD was 7. I rented a stroller for her one day, mid week, to let her rest. That was a good idea (for all of us) and she never needed it again after that.

Dayzy
07-26-2015, 02:09 PM
I rented a double from Kingdom Strollers and I am glad we did. My DS is 7, DD is 3 and they both had times they needed a rest. It also made it easier for us to leave after fireworks and Illuminations

acmom
07-26-2015, 10:33 PM
I rented a double from Kingdom Strollers and I am glad we did. My DS is 7, DD is 3 and they both had times they needed a rest. It also made it easier for us to leave after fireworks and Illuminations

:yeahthat: We rented a double last time and my kids were 4.5 and 6 at the time. Even though we parked it and walked to lots of rides without it (like we would get to frontier land, park it and then do all the rides there without it), it was so worth it for us to have it for breaks (with the canopy for shade), a place to sit and eat or wait for a parade/fireworks and escape through a crowd quickly. We also stayed a Beach Club and did a ton of walking to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Not sure the kids could have walked there and then walked all around the parks, especially the days that we were doing it in the pm after a busy morning.

ETA: And it was great to just have it waiting for us there as opposed to dealing with it in the airport, which is a pain and we didn't need it then.

rkold
07-26-2015, 11:28 PM
I guess the real question is, where are you staying and how do you plan to get to and from the parks? If you're staying at an Epcot resort and plan to walk to Epcot/The Studios or you are staying in the Contemporary/Bay Lake, it might be more important to you to have a stroller for your use outside the park. If you're staying at a resort where you will be using a lot of buses, I admit, I find taking a stroller on the buses (and some of the boats) a pain. Mine might have an easy fold, but I have to remove everything from the basket and still hold it the entire bus trip. Buses can be very cramped and full of other parents holding strollers. You might be better off renting a Disney stroller which is useful for the parks and does have a shade but is designed for kids who don't usually need a stroller.

A City mini single is still a 17 lbs stroller. You also have to watch the weight limits. My DD is a peanut, but I know many people have DCs much larger. A city mini has a 50 lb and 45 inch limit. A GT will take you up to 65 lbs, but will give you another 4 lbs of stroller weight. I've really though about just doing the Disney stroller, but I know my Mom likes having the G-luxe for pushing DD around if I go to the parks alone.

jgenie
07-27-2015, 12:30 AM
I guess the real question is, where are you staying and how do you plan to get to and from the parks? If you're staying at an Epcot resort and plan to walk to Epcot/The Studios or you are staying in the Contemporary/Bay Lake, it might be more important to you to have a stroller for your use outside the park. If you're staying at a resort where you will be using a lot of buses, I admit, I find taking a stroller on the buses (and some of the boats) a pain. Mine might have an easy fold, but I have to remove everything from the basket and still hold it the entire bus trip. Buses can be very cramped and full of other parents holding strollers. You might be better off renting a Disney stroller which is useful for the parks and does have a shade but is designed for kids who don't usually need a stroller.

A City mini single is still a 17 lbs stroller. You also have to watch the weight limits. My DD is a peanut, but I know many people have DCs much larger. A city mini has a 50 lb and 45 inch limit. A GT will take you up to 65 lbs, but will give you another 4 lbs of stroller weight. I've really though about just doing the Disney stroller, but I know my Mom likes having the G-luxe for pushing DD around if I go to the parks alone.

We're staying at the Poly. We're planning one day at each park but will do multiple days at MK. We're also doing one day at Legoland.

rkold
07-27-2015, 09:16 AM
We're staying at the Poly. We're planning one day at each park but will do multiple days at MK. We're also doing one day at Legoland.

Are you renting a car or taking a bus to the Studios/AK and are you going to to be leaving/visiting either around opening or closing?

I've never gone to Legoland. DD is just not that interested and we currently have APs for Disney. We don't go to Universal either because DD is hopefully now 40 inches and I refused to pay $70 for mostly kiddie rides at Universal.