PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Bathrooms Update Post 16

PZMommy
07-26-2015, 11:24 PM
Updated in Post 16.

I know this is a weird question, but hopefully someone can help answer this. This will be our first time at DL since my youngest has been potty trained. He is 3, and has some sensory issues. His biggest fear is hand dryers in the bathroom. Even if he isn't using them, if anyone in the bathroom sets them off, he flips out and will not even enter the bathroom. Do the bathroom at DL have hand dryers? If so is there any bathroom there that doesn't? We go yearly, but I've never paid attention to this before. Thanks!

georgiegirl
07-26-2015, 11:44 PM
No clue, but when my DD was that age, the toilets at the airport that had the plastic covers freaked her out. The ones were you push a button and the plastic cover moves to give you a "sanitary" surface to sit on. I remember being in O'hare and DD was freaking out horribly. And one of the women who was cleaning the bathroom just tore the plastic wrapper off so DD could sit on the potty in peace. It's so hard when something freaks out your newly potty trained child in the bathroom.

rkold
07-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I know WDW has the hand dryers because my DD *LOVES* them. I would be surprised if DL didn't have them as well. One thing you can always try is visiting the bathrooms in the Babycare center. I think those have tiny potties for little ones and might not have those dryers. If there is a special family bathroom that is separate that might be another option. You can also try talking to a cast member at Guest Relations to see what sorts of solutions they might have. The Cast members at Guest Relations tend to be very helpful with all sorts of issues. When we visited WDW in Oct 2014, DD could not walk/stand because of Lyme, so we got a special tag to use her stroller like a wheel chair. It made a huge difference.

PZMommy
07-27-2015, 12:12 AM
He doesn't mind the automatic toilet flushers, which surprises me. Georgiegirl, I'm from Chicago, so quite familiar with those toilet covers at Ohare. Not sure what he would think of those???

I will have to check out the baby center. We used that before when he needed his breathing treatments and we needed to plug in his nebulizer.

He has low tone, so he can't stand in lines either. Unfortunately the lines at DL are not capable of taking a stroller in them, so we have to carry him. I'm afraid this may be the last year he is light enough to be held. Not sure what we will do next year. I know they offer the passes where you can get a time stamp and then come back later, but he won't understand that concept. He sees it, he wants to do it. I guess we will worry about that next year, and just enjoy this year. We go yearly as a birthday present for the boys instead of a party.

Tenasparkl
07-27-2015, 02:22 AM
We were there a few days ago and I'm pretty sure that most of the bathrooms have paper towels. There may be some with dryers but I can't picture them. I know we did a lot of waving our hands in front of paper towel machines.

ckso
07-27-2015, 06:09 AM
I don't remember exactly whether there were dryers but if there were, there weren't many of them in the restrooms. I remember that they are mostly paper towels because that's what we always used. We're always in a "hurry hurry" mode in DL so I usually would notice if we had to wait for dryers

rkold
07-27-2015, 09:20 AM
But when we were in WDW, there was always one, and if someone is sensitive to the noise of one, there is no guarantee it won't go off when either someone wants to use it or someone like my DD goes over to play with it.

It's like the bathroom in my local Big Y store. They have both, and if it is just you in the bathroom, it's a non issue, but you can't control others in the bathroom unless it is small like a Family one.

ckso
07-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Can you bring ear muffs/headphones that he can wear just for the bathroom to help muffle the noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
07-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Can you bring ear muffs/headphones that he can wear just for the bathroom to help muffle the noise?

He won't wear them. We have tried that. We've also tried ear buds playing his favorite songs from my iPhone, and that doesn't work either. We've tried bribery, but he doesn't really go for that either. He is a stubborn one! lol

I'm sure the bathrooms will be crowded, so hoping just regular people noise will drown out some of the dryer noise.

rkold
07-27-2015, 03:33 PM
We're hoping to go to DL next week, and I will check to see which bathrooms don't have a blower, since if there is one, DD will find it so she can play with it. >>;

PZMommy
07-27-2015, 03:36 PM
We're hoping to go to DL next week, and I will check to see which bathrooms don't have a blower, since if there is one, DD will find it so she can play with it. >>;

We are going on the 5th. If you go before that and recall which ones have blowers, that would be super helpful. I know it is such a dumb thing to be concerned about. lol

rkold
07-27-2015, 07:08 PM
We are going on the 5th. If you go before that and recall which ones have blowers, that would be super helpful. I know it is such a dumb thing to be concerned about. lol

Eheh I think we are going on the 4th and 5th. We are planning to do California Adventure on the 4th and Disneyland proper on the 5th. (We've visiting relatives in Irvine and then visiting Disney :D )

Are you staying on property? We're trying to Worldmark, it's a Wyndham TimeShare. >>;

PZMommy
07-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Eheh I think we are going on the 4th and 5th. We are planning to do California Adventure on the 4th and Disneyland proper on the 5th. (We've visiting relatives in Irvine and then visiting Disney :D )

Are you staying on property? We're trying to Worldmark, it's a Wyndham TimeShare. >>;

We are in the LA area, so we just drive down for the day. Usually we get a park hopper, but my parents are in town and we are taking them, so we are just going to Disney, as I have a feeling we will be moving slower.

rkold
07-27-2015, 09:39 PM
We are in the LA area, so we just drive down for the day. Usually we get a park hopper, but my parents are in town and we are taking them, so we are just going to Disney, as I have a feeling we will be moving slower.

Oh that makes perfect sense. I will try to post our visit for at least DCA. Since it is me and DD in DCA and me, DD, my mom, my DSiL and DN in DL, I think one park each day is enough. DD is 4.5 and petite and DN just turned 1. We live on the East Coast and are DVC so we visit FL a lot, but only visit Disneyland when visiting relatives/having a long layover in LA.

sariana
07-27-2015, 10:51 PM
I haven't been to DL in a while, but I do remember all the "sponsored by Sparkle" signs. So I'm thinking they don't have air dryers. (But things may have changed.)

PZMommy
07-28-2015, 03:53 PM
I just want to provide an update. I was really stressing about this issue, so I sent an email to the disability service department of Disneyland last night. A lady called me back this morning. She said the only bathroom in the entire park that has hand dryers is the bathroom in Critter Country by Splash Mountain. All the other bathrooms have paper towels. That is a huge relief for us. I was so impressed that they called me.

georgiegirl
07-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Great news!

123LuckyMom
07-28-2015, 04:09 PM
I just want to provide an update. I was really stressing about this issue, so I sent an email to the disability service department of Disneyland last night. A lady called me back this morning. She said the only bathroom in the entire park that has hand dryers is the bathroom in Critter Country by Splash Mountain. All the other bathrooms have paper towels. That is a huge relief for us. I was so impressed that they called me.

What a great update! As I was reading this thread and saw the posts about DL's lines not accommodating strollers, I wanted to protest. DL and WDW really try very hard to accommodate any and all disabilities. If your child needs to stay in the stroller, they will enable you to use the strollers in lines or use the strollers in the alternative entrances that accommodate wheelchairs. The last time we went to Disney, I was suffering from very bad back pain. In order to walk or stand for any period of time, I needed to lean on something. My youngest at the time was 11 months, and I couldn't carry her in lines. I knew the solution for me would be to use the stroller as a walker for my back and as a means to hold the baby. I explained the situation when we got to WDW, and I was given a special tag that said "stroller as wheelchair." That tag enabled us to use the stroller in the lines. When the lines had stairs and such, we were able to use the accessible alternative entrances. Often the waits at those entrances were longer, which was surprising, but we were grateful!!! Thank goodness they allowed us that accommodation, because I would have had to use a scooter or something otherwise. I'm positive that if you need to use the stroller, Disney will enable you to use it.

PZMommy
07-28-2015, 04:28 PM
123luckymom, she told me about that too with the stroller, and we could also get a disability access pass(can't recall the exact name of it, but the sort of fast pass type thing). All in all, I think it will go okay. My biggest concern was the bathrooms, everything else would be easy enough to work around. My son will be so happy to hear tha Disneyland doesn't have "scary" bathrooms as he calls them.

twowhat?
07-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Will you have a stroller with you most of the time? We carried a paper towel roll, a pack of wipes, a small first aid kit, a couple of empty plastic bags, and several water bottles in the stroller basket for our first couple of trips to DL. They came in way, way useful for lots of reasons and none of those items are a big deal if someone wants to steal them. My kids also HATED the blow dryers, and honestly I just had them wash their hands and not dry them. They dry quickly enough outside in the sun.

Oh, and I kept a pack of post-it notes in my purse for automatic toilets - my kids STILL hate those and I still have to cover up the sensor for them.

123LuckyMom
07-30-2015, 07:35 AM
123luckymom, she told me about that too with the stroller, and we could also get a disability access pass(can't recall the exact name of it, but the sort of fast pass type thing). All in all, I think it will go okay. My biggest concern was the bathrooms, everything else would be easy enough to work around. My son will be so happy to hear tha Disneyland doesn't have "scary" bathrooms as he calls them.

I'm so glad! Have a wonderful trip!!!

PZMommy
08-06-2015, 10:26 AM
We went yesterday. All in all it was a successful trip. My DS screamed through our first bathroom stop as he was not convinced it wasn't going to be scary. Each bathroom trip became progressively better though, and by the end of our day he walked in without a fuss.

As for the lines, we got there right at 8. We were able to do all of the rides we wanted to prior to noon with little to no wait. We did skip Peter Pan, as that had an hour wait by 8:30. After lunch we had to wait about 20 minutes for Small World and Autopia. We left around 3:30, as he was DONE (as was my DH lol) He didn't take a nap in the stroller like he has in previous years, and it was really hot. He was on the verge of a meltdown, and we had done everything we had planned to do aside from the 4:30 parade, so we called it a day. I'm hoping maybe next year we can afford to get a hotel room so we can go take a break in the afternoon and then come back for the night time parade and shows.