PDA

View Full Version : detergent free laundry soap recommendations

Percycat
08-02-2015, 06:24 PM
I want to wash my son's sleeping bag. Instructions say to use a mild detergent free laundry soap. What do I buy and where do I get it?

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2015, 11:07 PM
You sure they don't mean one free of dyes and perfumes? I can't quite tell.

lizzywednesday
08-03-2015, 10:24 AM
You sure they don't mean one free of dyes and perfumes? I can't quite tell.

:yeahthat:

Sometimes it will specify a detergent free of optical brighteners, in which case you could use something like Ecos or Charlie's Soap. You might also look into lingerie wash.

If you have it on hand, I suggest using dilute Castile soap. For a full load, I use a 1:4 solution - 1 part Castile soap to 4 parts distilled water - in my HE front-loader with good results on things I'm taking extra care with, like bathing suits and bras. (I also use the "water plus" button to increase the amount of water used in the wash.)

Percycat
08-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I am still confused. The label specifically says to use a gentle non-detergent soap and notes that detergents will break down the waterproof protection. I looked at REI, but even the soap they sell for waterproof/technical gear (Nathan's) is called a detergent.

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Can you call/chat/email the manufacturer?

ciw
08-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I am still confused. The label specifically says to use a gentle non-detergent soap and notes that detergents will break down the waterproof protection. I looked at REI, but even the soap they sell for waterproof/technical gear (Nathan's) is called a detergent.

Castille soap, Fels-Naptha, Ivory in flake or bar form only (pretty sure that Ivory liquid is a detergent) or a specially made soap like Nikwax: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikwax-Tech-Wash-TX-Direct-Wash-In-Fabric-Care-Twin-Pack/1096193.uts?productVariantId=2181679&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=40-67975191-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03041576&rid=20

I'd probably just use castille soap and not worry.

Percycat
08-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Castille soap, Fels-Naptha, Ivory in flake or bar form only (pretty sure that Ivory liquid is a detergent) or a specially made soap like Nikwax: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikwax-Tech-Wash-TX-Direct-Wash-In-Fabric-Care-Twin-Pack/1096193.uts?productVariantId=2181679&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=40-67975191-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03041576&rid=20

I'd probably just use castille soap and not worry.

Where do I buy Castille soap (is it a powder?) or Ivory flake? I have a bar of Fels-Naptha -- I was planning to use my front load washing machine, but I could have my son wash it in the bathtub.

My washing machine is also HE --- can I use soap in a HE frontloader?

Thanks for your help!

mikala
08-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Dr Bronners is a common Castille soap brand. It's sold at Target in the natural beauty aisle. Trader Joe's and most health food stores also carry it. It often comes in a big bottle but its really useful for cleaning. We use it diluted to refill foaming handsoap containers.

tmahanes
08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
I make my own detergent from Dr Bronners and have an HE machine and haven't had any problems!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
08-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Where do I buy Castille soap (is it a powder?) or Ivory flake? I have a bar of Fels-Naptha -- I was planning to use my front load washing machine, but I could have my son wash it in the bathtub.

My washing machine is also HE --- can I use soap in a HE frontloader?

Thanks for your help!

I have an HE frontloader and use Castile soap with no problems.

I dilute it 1:4 - 1 part Castile soap to 4 parts distilled water (you could also use filtered or tap water) - and run the machine using the "water plus" button to increase the amount of water churning through the cycle.

Percycat
08-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Thank you all for the information. I think I got this now. : )