PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable shoes for teachers

niccig
08-15-2015, 08:30 PM
I start working next week in a school. I've got a comfortable pair of black sandals and sketchers go walks. I do have a black born ballet flat that I haven't worn in a while and always takes a couple of wears before it's as comfortable as I would like. I'll mostly be wearing pants, either black dress pants or chinos (grey, navy), until I build up more of a work wardrobe or lose 8lbs so most of my clothes fit again.

I'm looking for a something that will go with most things at first. I'm not a fashionista at all, but am trying to put more attention to me. Suggestions of what to look for?

Thanks.

I wonder if these danskos would work...neutral color, and should be comfortable if they fit http://www.zappos.com/dansko-tamara-grey-nubuck

or maybe a loafer http://www.zappos.com/skechers-breathe-easy-high-seas-taupe

RiverRat
08-16-2015, 09:20 AM
I wear my Cobb Hill shoes for teaching and they are amazing! I have the ones with a slight heel and have zero issues. My feet are super sensitive. I must have lots of arch support!

MamaMolly
08-16-2015, 12:50 PM
I wore my dansko clogs a lot, or ballet flats. But I find i need more support than just ballet flats.

Kindra178
08-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Look for shoes by Earth, Munro, Rockport or Clarks. I would skip the clog look at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larig
08-18-2015, 06:32 PM
A good pair of flat boots can be surprisingly versatile. I have a pair of Merrells (they're waterproof, which is helpful in Seattle when you have to go on the playground to retrieve children) that are flat that I can wear with skirts and jeans, etc. They're great when I'm on my feet all day. http://www.merrell.com/US/en/captiva-launch-2-waterproof/17321W.html

And, seconding Kindra's recs. I have a pair of clark privos that are great for school, more on the casual side than some of their other lines, though (but that works here in Seattle, no one's very fancy in my neighborhood).

gymnbomb
08-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Clark's are my favorites. I wear the loafer style ones most often, but also have several other styles including boots and sandals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
08-18-2015, 09:55 PM
At my nursing home SLP job I have to wear closed toe shoes, I have quite a few Anne Klien sport shoes, they are a wedge, but look like a ballet flat...super comfy and cute too. I've seen them at Macy's, and other dept stores but often at TJ maxx...

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ak-anne-klein-tamorow-sport-wedges?ID=1506434&CategoryID=26481&tdp=cm_app~zMCOM-NAVAPP~xcm_zone~zPDP_ZONE_B~xcm_choiceId~zcid7L001 1-468b738f-d8ae-4b05-b9de-d67f5508d56a%40H5%40you%2Bmight%2Balso%2Blike...%2 426481%241506434~xcm_srcCatID~z26481~xcm_pos~zPos2

I would wait to buy a few thing to see what others at the school wear.

At my elementary school in Utah I often wore cute pumps as the school was carpeted!!!

Please just never ever wear the dreaded teacher wardrobe of the matching Lady Footlocker sweatsuit that the older teachers often wore..oh dear they were awful!!!!!

wendibird22
08-19-2015, 09:50 AM
My feet are picky. Need arch support if I'm going to be standing for a long time. I love birkenstock, ahnu, and dansko. Though, I will say that if I'm just standing still for long periods of time (vs walking) my dansko's still give me achy feet. I wore a pair of dansko clog style sandals to a concert this summer and after 3hrs I was DONE standing. I wore Ahnu's to Disney for 5 straight days and never ever had a problem. Adore my Ahnu's.

niccig
08-23-2015, 12:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'll start looking at zappos. I'm at one location 4 days a week, but it has 3 separate campuses (early childhood, K-1, 2-5) and I walked around all the campuses on one day meeting the staff. By the time I got home, I couldn't wait to put my sketchers flip flops on. I'll need to plan what shoes I wear depending on my schedule and how much walking I'll be doing!

Please just never ever wear the dreaded teacher wardrobe of the matching Lady Footlocker sweatsuit that the older teachers often wore..oh dear they were awful!!!!!

Ha ha, no I hope I never go there. I will say I wish I could wear scrubs and sneakers, that was very comfortable when I did my hospital internship. I went shopping and found a pair of chinos at Loft that are very comfortable and don't stretch out too much - so I bought them in a couple of colors. Not quite yoga pants comfortable but close.

Melaine
08-29-2015, 07:09 AM
subbing. I am having the hardest time finding tolerable shoes. I have purchased and returned Danskos, Fitflops, and Dr. scholls this month. I homeschool the kids but help out at our hybrid school two days a week. I am getting easily 10000-15000 steps on those days, and going up and down stairs a lot. i can't wear straight up athletic shoes because its business casual and I tend to wear girly stuff, lots of skirts, dresses and leggings.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Toms? Add some insoles maybe?

weech
08-29-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm a librarian and on my feet all day as well. I just bought some Chaco Petalumas and I'm in love!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

elizabethkott
08-29-2015, 09:58 AM
My feet have gotten much pickier over the years of teaching. What works for me now are Dansko sandals, Sanita clogs, Merrell boots. I love me my clogs! (Which reminds me, my old ones are horribly scuffed after 3+ years and it might be time for a new pair!)

PZMommy
09-05-2015, 10:35 PM
I wear my Dansko clogs. I've had my current pair for two years and they look brand new. I'm going to buy another pair this year in a different color so I can have some variety.

Melaine
09-06-2015, 06:25 AM
so let me ask ya'll about Danskos. I bought a pair of 39 clogs and they felt uncomfortable right across the top of my foot, so I sent them back. I am wondering if I should have tried them longer, or sized up? I normally wear an 8.5 although I have recently discovered my foot is a bit wide.

squimp
09-06-2015, 02:50 PM
so let me ask ya'll about Danskos. I bought a pair of 39 clogs and they felt uncomfortable right across the top of my foot, so I sent them back. I am wondering if I should have tried them longer, or sized up? I normally wear an 8.5 although I have recently discovered my foot is a bit wide.

I would size up. I wear a 7.5-8 normally and I always wear a 39 in Danskos. They are supposed to be a little big, and they do slide off your heel as you walk. I have had about 7 pairs.

lizzywednesday
09-28-2015, 12:53 PM

I've had wide feet my whole life and can wear regular Dansko clogs with no problems so long as I have them fitted properly. Thanks to the recommendations 'round these parts, the two pair I bought saved my back when I was pregnant.

I wear a size 41, but I haven't needed the width because I find the toebox is shaped wide enough.

If I'm going to do a lot of walking on hard surfaces, however, I prefer something with more cushioning.

acmom
09-28-2015, 02:44 PM

You might also want to try a couple different finishes. I found that the oiled vs. etched vs. patent vs.others all fit a little differently. A few years back I was going to get a pair of patent, but couldn't find a good fit in those...one size felt too snug but the next size up was huge. But the smaller size in the etched was perfect. The store I bought them at said they all do fit a little differently.