PDA

View Full Version : Disneyworld Late August.....Am I crazy?!

AnnieW625
08-21-2015, 12:10 PM
I really want to take our family to Disneyworld and call me crazy but I am thinking of late August, 2016 (depending on when my kids school starts next year, this year we start 8/31). I am pretty anti taking my kids out of school for vacation (funerals and weddings okay, but vacation sorry that is done when not in school) so we are limited as to when this work. A crowd calendar I have found has light to moderate crowds for the last two weeks of the month. Other than the humidity and heat is there just no way you would do DW in August? We have friends who went in mid June and enjoyed it, but again slightly higher anticipated crowds. I also think if we were staying on site it would be a great way to use all of the water park amenities where as in a cooler month we might not take full advantage of them. Another potential week would be the weekend and week of Tthamksgiving because my kids have that week off, but I think it still might be more crowded.

npace19147
08-21-2015, 12:20 PM
It's hard to say other than the heat and humidity, as those are precisely the reasons I won't do DW in August. I personally don't do well in those conditions, and I know I would be miserable and would make my family miserable. Some people are fine in those conditions. So a lot of it is YMMV, you have to know how you and your family do in those conditions. Also, when my family goes to DW we get there late morning and are ON the whole day. Some people can go early, relax by the pool in midday and go back, which might make the weather more bearable. But we do not operate that way.

anonomom
08-21-2015, 01:06 PM
We went last year August 15-21. It was hot. Really, really hot. We still saw a lot and had a great time, but it wasn't as pleasant as our trips at cooler times have been. If you (a) accept that the heat will drain your energy to an extent and require that you take longer breaks/spend less time in the parks, (b) pack carefully (extra changes of clothes, cooling gear) and (c) stay hydrated, you'll be fine.

If, like a PP, you are a park commando and want to be there for 10-12 hours a day, you may have a hard time. My crew was 100% ready to head out of dodge by 1:00 every afternoon (we always get to the park for opening). We sometimes went back in the evening, but just as often did not.

cckwmh
08-21-2015, 01:08 PM
We are going tomorrow for the week, school starts the following week. I will update when we are back.

KrisM
08-21-2015, 01:27 PM
My brother's family always goes in August. They say it's quite hot, but the crowds are doable. They do rope drop, rest or eat during the hottest times, and then go back in the evening.

SummerBaby
08-21-2015, 01:44 PM
I think it depends on your tolerance of heat and humidity. We went in May this year and it was unusually hot-around 95-97 and very humid each day. And it's Florida hot- the sun is much stronger than what you might be used to (we live in the northeast-95 in Florida is hotter than 95 in NY). We managed it by going at rope drop and leaving the parks by 1:00 and returning at dinner time. It was ok for me, but my younger DD didn't do too well. That being said- I would probably go in August rather than winter. We like being able to swim. And if you get everything done in the morning, it's fine.

rkold
08-21-2015, 06:18 PM
You're in SoCal, right? The sun being brighter shouldn't be a problem for you. We're from CT and I found the SoCal sun when we were there the last week of July/first week of August was STRONG just like in FL.

Pre-kid, I went in August, and was also one of those people there at rope drop, did everything until around lunch time and then took a pool break and went back in the early evening. Even with a kid we still sometimes follow that plan (or just don't go back) since I find it easier. You can actually accomplish a lot in that first hour or two.

I don't know about August, but I have found that there are certain pluses to visiting WDW during the busy season. October is considered "off" season, and every time I try to book restaurants at 180 days I have an awful time getting some restaurants. Sometimes they open up, but sometimes they don't and in general getting last minute reservations is the luck of the draw, which is a pain when you're hungry and don't want to eat QS. February break is "high" season, but I never have a problem at 180 days booking anything. I don't even need to be on at 6 or 7 am, and I get what I want. The same is true for FP+. I managed to get everything I wanted as FP+ for October, but not always on the day or time I wanted and overall it was much harder than when I was booking FP+ for February.

During "high" season the parks are open really late and sometimes that can be a good time to hit up certain activities. We've had short waits for meeting Ariel and waited mostly until they had a large enough group, for Belle's Enchanted Tale, instead of waiting in a long line.

And even if you don't go to the water parks, most of the on-site hotels have great pools, in particular the Beach+Yacht, who share what is pretty much a mini water park.

I've gone to WDW a lot in early December. Usually the weather is still warm enough to use the pools, at least for someone use to the cold in the NE. The big plus of that time period, is you can see the Christmas decorations if you are into that and if you want to pay additional go to various Christmas themed events like the Christmas Party. I really like gingerbread so love the gingerbread at the Grand Floridian (though it is not quite as spicy as I like.) and I collect Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards, and there tends to be a party exclusive.

If you plan to rent/stay at a DVC, you'll have much better luck in August though. Thanksgiving and early December are some of the hardest times to book.

specialp
08-21-2015, 07:37 PM
I would rather go than not and if that is the time available for your family, it is what it is. Follow what others said, go until you can, then take a pool break, go back in the evenings.