PDA

View Full Version : why can't I find a "normal" halloween costume?

Kestrel
08-24-2015, 08:17 PM
I just need something for me to wear at DS's elementary school carnival.

It seems like every women's costume is meant to be worn by a hooker, not an age 40+ mother. Is there nothing school & workplace appropriate??????

I'm about ready to cut some eyeholes in a white sheet and go as a ghost.

georgiegirl
08-24-2015, 08:47 PM
What about a witches hat paired with a basic black dress and funky striped tights?

gymnbomb
08-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Last time I needed a very appropriate costume (and one I could stuff several layers of clothing under since it was freezing outside) I hit the clearance rack at a medical uniform shop and picked up some scrubs and a lab coat. The scrubs made good lounge/pajama pants afterward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

belovedgandp
08-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Yes! Even costumes that should be benign are suddenly slutted up. It's crazy.

I made a poodle skirt years ago and just keep recycling it.

Chitowngirl
08-24-2015, 09:33 PM
I was where's Waldo once. Cheap, easy, and I didn't feel like a slut. The kids may get a kick out of it too.

http://www.amazon.com/elope-Wheres-Waldo-Costume-X-Large/dp/B002EUBBRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440466102&sr=8-1&keywords=wheres+waldo+costume

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS
08-25-2015, 12:33 AM
ETA on second thought....

I love a good M and M costume. You could make one with some poster board, paints, and sharpies if you were feeling crafty. :)

http://www.amazon.com/M-Ms-Poncho-Female-Costume/dp/B002JFJQ86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440477565&sr=8-1&keywords=m+and+m+costume

dogmom
08-25-2015, 09:26 AM
I went as Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas last year. You can get the non-sexy costume (yes, of course there is a sexy one!!!) and the makeup was a lot of fun.

I've also gone as Velma and Daphne from Scooby Doo. I just bought clothing that sort of matched theirs on EBay. Velma is particularly easy if you wear glasses and I got a cute red wool mini skirt out of it!

wendibird22
08-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Ugh, I am so with you. I hate when the Party City book comes to my house and I see all the hoochie costumes.

I'd think of things you can create out of regular clothes:

Bob the Builder or Wendy
Mary Poppins
doctor/nurse
era clothing: 60s, 70s, 80s
Pippy Longstocking
Seuss character: cat in hat is easy (just need hat and wear black clothes), thing 1 or 2, star belly sneach, etc.

lizzywednesday
08-25-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm sick of the parade-of-underwear that adult (HA!) Halloween costumes for women have become, too.

This site might also help - it's a list of fabulous (and modest!) ideas that you can put together using pre-made pieces:

http://takebackhalloween.org

Ms B
08-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Ruth Bader Ginsburg . . . black robe (I plan to use my law school graduation robe), lace collar, glasses, severe bun, and a gavel. Add a crown to be the Notorious RBG (as in the Tumbler).

I second the era clothing idea . . . I still have my Reebok "princess" shoes, floppy socks, a mini skirt, a baggy T with sleeves to roll, a big belt, and a neon bandanna headband. Add some big hair and jelly bracelets and you are set to go!

wendibird22
08-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Ruth Bader Ginsburg . . . black robe (I plan to use my law school graduation robe), lace collar, glasses, severe bun, and a gavel. Add a crown to be the Notorious RBG (as in the Tumbler).

I second the era clothing idea . . . I still have my Reebok "princess" shoes, floppy socks, a mini skirt, a baggy T with sleeves to roll, a big belt, and a neon bandanna headband. Add some big hair and jelly bracelets and you are set to go!

Love the Notorious RBG idea!!!!!!

Oh and if you can't find jelly/Madonna bracelets, multi color pack of hair ties works. My 8yr tends to have 10 or so assorted hair ties on her wrist at all times and I feel like I'm reliving my youth!

Tenasparkl
08-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Princess Leia is always a good one. Of course they make sexy versions of all her outfits too, but the original Episode IV white dress with hair buns is perfect.

Last year I used my own long black skirt, button up shirt and added a long white apron (ordered from amazon) and had an easy Anna from Downton Abbey costume. Not everyone got it, but those that did LOVED it. Two years ago DH was Super Mario and I was Luigi. The costumes were super comfortable and we had lots of fun. Lots of the teachers at DD's school dressed as Minions last year and the kids all loved it.

Simon
08-25-2015, 01:32 PM
I have a pair of large wings that I wear every year, indoor/outside, anyplace. Some kids think I'm a fairy, others ask if I'm an angel. I just say "yes!" We have snow sometimes so I don't usually put a lot into making a costume that might be hidden under my winter coat!

rkold
08-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Last year when I went to the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, I was looking for something comfortable and low key but festive. DD was dressed as Elsa, so I wore a long white skirt and a pale blue t-shirt I had attached snow flakes to and went as Elsa's Icy Magic.

BunnyBee
08-25-2015, 02:40 PM
My tween was in adult sizes last year. So impossible! I hate costumes and refuse to dress up. ;)

zukeypur
08-25-2015, 02:40 PM
I found a cheap black jacket and pants, put reflective duct tape on it, grabbed a toy firefighter helmet and a toy axe, and used black eyeshadow to put "smoke" all over my face. To make it even better, DD1 had a firetruck tent from Discovery Toys that has a hole in the roof. I just tied some suspenders to the top and carried the truck around my waist.

I have also done Cat in the Hat, Hippie, and witch.

jent
08-25-2015, 02:48 PM
One year when DD was Fancy Nancy & I dressed as Nancy's mother. In the first book Nancy persuades her parents to dress up "fancy" for dinner. I wore a plain black dress and added scarves, ribbon, Xmas ornaments just like Nancy's mom does in the book.

elizabethkott
08-25-2015, 03:21 PM
I was a bag of jellybeans once, using clear trash bags and multicolored balloons! I cut holes in the bottom of the bags for my legs and on the sides for my arms and just filled them up with the blown up balloons. Tied something around my neck to keep the "bag" shut and done! Just wore a black long sleeved shirt and leggings with red chucks. Although, this is a costume that needs to be assembled at your destination; it would be pretty hard to drive somewhere like this!

mom2ethan
08-25-2015, 05:08 PM
DD is approaching adult sizes and I dread having to find a costume. I hope we can have one more year where she can wear a kid's costume.

I threw together an Amelia Bedelia costume once to be the "Mystery Reader" in DD's 2nd grade class -- black shirt and skirt, white apron and a hat/visor I made out of a black foam visor (worn upside down) and plastic flowers.

For a last minute party one year, I wore DS's Harry Potter cape (open because I couldn't close it) with a white blouse and grey skirt and carried a wand to be Hermione.

ray7694
08-25-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm a school librarian so have lots of fun picking book characters. I went as an old lady who swallowed a fly, katniss, Olivia.

Gracemom
08-26-2015, 09:14 AM
I hear ya! My dd is adult sized and hates anything "sexy". Last year she dressed as the 11th doctor from dr. Who with help from Hot Topic. I always dress as Professor McGonagall.

boogiemom
08-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Cute ideas here:

http://twentytwowords.com/the-punniest-costumes-you-can-wear-any-time-of-the-year/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

misshollygolightly
08-28-2015, 07:54 PM
I have some red shoes I often pair with black-and-white striped tights and a black dress or skirt+cardigan--add a witch's hat and I'm the Wicked Witch of the East. My college students love it (and, minus the hat, it's close enough to work appropriate that I can wear it to teach or sit through a meeting).

I bought an adult queen/princess dress during the Chasing Fireflies sale this summer...I may wear it this year for Halloween. It's plenty modest (not a weird sexy queen), but it might be a bit frou frou or distracting to wear to work. I'll probably just wear it for handing out candy in the evening.

klwa
08-31-2015, 12:47 PM
Zulily has some women's costumes today for sale. Some are VERY questionable, but others are perfectly reasonable!

http://www.zulily.com/e/costumes-for-when-the-moon-is-full-141255.html